Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Happy with a point?

As long as we get one more win this season ill be happy. Personally think we will draw against Reading and Wet Brom, beat Stoke and lose to Villa and Man City.

It certainly appears that following the four match losing run over Christmas, going into the Newcastle game and thereafter the approach seems to be very much defend the point. Whether this strategy was borne of complacency or necessity around the apparent failure of the January transfer window is a moot point. What is undeniable is that we''ve have missed opportunities to make ourselves safe such that the Arsenal defeat hurts all the more.

We had more momentum and urgency yesterday. This augurs well for the Reading match assuming we get two strikers in the line up. It is a must win now.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Don''t you just love statistics ? [:|][/quote]

Here is another dismal one: 7 failed to score in 15 games against the bottom half.
[/quote]

Here is a very dismal one....Stoke have got 5 points from their last 12 games and failed to score in 7 of them. Today they play Man Utd but my mate Winky thinks Stoke will have us under the cosh when we go there.

The only point to contest is that you don''t know he "accepts" a point.  The games ended in draws, but that doesn''t mean we were looking for a draw to start with.  Otherwise, your argument would suggest we tried to lose the three games we lost.The point I think these stats show is that the bottom half of the Prem is highly competitive.  That isn''t news.

The way I see it, Hughton keeps us tight and always keeps the game close for us to get something from it. The downside to that is, it''s close for the other team too.

we have yet to win a game by more than 1 clear goal this season in the league. We just can not put teams to bed.

The second half yesterday was the best in a while but the first half looked more like a attack v defence training exercise than a competitive game. We hardly got out of our half. I have pretty much from day one when we no showed a Fulham been anti Hughton that being said i was please he showed a bit more emotion in his interviews last night.

here''s another stat 2, thats the number of games we have played this year without registering a single shot on target.

None of this is to do with the possibility that the lower half teams might look at us as a "must not lose" fixture and play accordingly, QPR came at a time when ''Arry still hadn''t worked out that they needed wins not draws there have been several other examples of teams settling for a draw at FCR. Look at the way we played with 10 men for an hour at Sunderland and compare that to the way super attacking Villa played against us with ten defenders in the same circumstances...I''d say a good percentage of our drawn games have come about because of the negative approach of our opposition, has nobody else noticed there are always two teams on the pitch?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The only point to contest is that you don''t know he "accepts" a point.  The games ended in draws, but that doesn''t mean we were looking for a draw to start with.  Otherwise, your argument would suggest we tried to lose the three games we lost.The point I think these stats show is that the bottom half of the Prem is highly competitive.  That isn''t news.[/quote]No it does not suggest he is trying to lose games. I have seen you try to claim this over and over again and it is dirge.

My argument states that he goes into these games to keep it tight. And only changes game plan when we are losing. That if we go into a game and create nothing, he will sit tight till the final whistle. Hoot plays out games, and will take a point as a good result from the start. No matter the opposition, or whether the game is home or away. 

Of course he wants a win. But he will not do anything to make that win happen if we are currently drawing. 

I think if a game was 0-0 at 60 minutes and you offered Hoots the draw, he would take it every time.

Hughton never goes for a win if there is any risk of losing all of the points, thus we get so many draws. I''d rather lose more games through taking risks to win as I believe we''d still get more points overall, and of course it would be far more entertaining. I''m just repeating though what I said at the start of the season when I wanted Holloway as manager as my views on drab football will never change. If attendances hold up then it will unfortunately vindicate the current style of play.  

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Mister Chops"]The only point to contest is that you don''t know he "accepts" a point.  The games ended in draws, but that doesn''t mean we were looking for a draw to start with.  Otherwise, your argument would suggest we tried to lose the three games we lost.The point I think these stats show is that the bottom half of the Prem is highly competitive.  That isn''t news.[/quote]No it does not suggest he is trying to lose games. I have seen you try to claim this over and over again and it is dirge.

My argument states that he goes into these games to keep it tight. And only changes game plan when we are losing. That if we go into a game and create nothing, he will sit tight till the final whistle. Hoot plays out games, and will take a point as a good result from the start. No matter the opposition, or whether the game is home or away. 

Of course he wants a win. But he will not do anything to make that win happen if we are currently drawing. 

I think if a game was 0-0 at 60 minutes and you offered Hoots the draw, he would take it every time.
[/quote]
No, I''m sorry that is ridiculous. He can''t create the chances for the players, he can''t score the goals. I don''t think he is willing the game to stay 0-0 from beginning to end. He obviously wants to win a game, but in our position it is vital we do not lose. If that means sitting tight while the game stays even, then why not? Yes more can be done to win, but he is banking on the balance to tip in his favor in a finely balanced game. If you put on a more attacking player you run the risk of being short at the back, but he negates that by keeping the team tight and not committing too much forward when he does make that change. Everyone wants three points, even Hughton and to suggest otherwise is funny.

[quote user="paul moy"]Hughton never goes for a win if there is any risk of losing all of the points, thus we get so many draws. I''d rather lose more games through taking risks to win as I believe we''d still get more points overall, and of course it would be far more entertaining. I''m just repeating though what I said at the start of the season when I wanted Holloway as manager as my views on drab football will never change. If attendances hold up then it will unfortunately vindicate the current style of play.  [/quote]
You''re now aware that you do not receive any points for losing a game. That would make it incredibly hard to get more points overall. If we lost more games than we drew, that would be fifteen or more games with no points. We would be bottom.

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="paul moy"]Hughton never goes for a win if there is any risk of losing all of the points, thus we get so many draws. I''d rather lose more games through taking risks to win as I believe we''d still get more points overall, and of course it would be far more entertaining. I''m just repeating though what I said at the start of the season when I wanted Holloway as manager as my views on drab football will never change. If attendances hold up then it will unfortunately vindicate the current style of play.  [/quote]

You''re now aware that you do not receive any points for losing a game. That would make it incredibly hard to get more points overall. If we lost more games than we drew, that would be fifteen or more games with no points. We would be bottom.

[/quote]

One win and two defeats in every three games gives the same points as 3 draws so if we sneaked another draw or win in those three ganes we''d have either 1 or 3 extra points each time, so we''ll have to agree to differ. Constantly drawing games with few wins will never get us into the higher echelons of any League but may well get us relegated.  Reading is key and I have a feeling they will surprise some of us by not being lambs to the slaughter.

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="paul moy"]Hughton never goes for a win if there is any risk of losing all of the points, thus we get so many draws. I''d rather lose more games through taking risks to win as I believe we''d still get more points overall, and of course it would be far more entertaining. I''m just repeating though what I said at the start of the season when I wanted Holloway as manager as my views on drab football will never change. If attendances hold up then it will unfortunately vindicate the current style of play.  [/quote]
[/quote]And you are aware that one win and one defeat gets you more points than a draw?  If we are relegated, it will be games like Home to an out of sorts Newcastle, which will be the reason why we go down.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]But if we were to draw te next 4, surely we would stay up :P[/quote]
Nah, according to them they would rather lose... [:^)]

[quote user="Stig"]
No, I''m sorry that is ridiculous. He can''t create the chances for the players, he can''t score the goals.
[/quote]

Because a manager has zero impact on a side''s performances.  The team, tactics and formations are nothing to do with him. What a moronic comment.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]But if we were to draw te next 4, surely we would stay up :P[/quote]

Indeed, but one win, a draw and two defeats will equally suffice and should be easier to achieve with an attacking rather than defensive policy as we still have Man City away to play. Three draws may not be enough even if we get them.

Actually, it''s completely factual. He physically can''t. [:)] However, your statements are complete conjecture and come off rather more moronic than mine.

[/quote]

Man Utd have lost more games than they have drawn this season they dont seem to be doing too badly

Man Utd have lost more games than they have drawn this season they dont seem to be doing too badly 
Are you ignoring their inherent ability to win to help your point on purpose, or is that you basic level of intelligence?

I really don''t understand what people think they are going to gain from threads like this, there seems to be a similar one every day.Are you looking for someone to put an arm around you and tell you everything will be okay?Do you somehow believe that Hughton will read this message board, agree with you and start winning games, because he obviously was missing something obvious, like Fox is the best player ever, but is totally invisible to him in training?The self pitying bleating got tiresome a long time ago.

i was just disproving your statement that you said if we lost more games than we drew we would be worse off. I don''t know why you insult someones intelligence just because they have a opposing opinion to yours. Bloke called Hitler didn''t really like people with different views to him and look how he tuned out!

[quote user="Hannibal II"]i was just disproving your statement that you said if we lost more games than we drew we would be worse off. I don''t know why you insult someones intelligence just because they have a opposing opinion to yours. Bloke called Hitler didn''t really like people with different views to him and look how he tuned out![/quote]
A) You''ve not disproven squat. You doctored something to help suit you. And consequently failed. 
B) If we lose. Nil Pois. If we draw. One Point. You understand that, yes? We have drawn fourteen games. That''s fourteen points. If we lose those games, that''s fourteen points less. Now that isn''t hard to fathom, surely?
C) I''m just concerned you don''t have any, you don''t seem to be capable of understanding the basic points I am putting over. 
D) Dead. Because other''s didn''t agree with him. But that is a whole ''nother matter not meant for this forum.

[quote user="morty"]I really don''t understand what people think they are going to gain from threads like this, there seems to be a similar one every day.[/quote]Just posting the stats and coming to the conclusion that we do not put enough emphasis on winning these games.  We have scored 10 goals in 15 games against the bottom half, and 21 in 18 against the top half.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="morty"]I really don''t understand what people think they are going to gain from threads like this, there seems to be a similar one every day.[/quote]Just posting the stats and coming to the conclusion that we do not put enough emphasis on winning these games.  We have scored 10 goals in 15 games against the bottom half, and 21 in 18 against the top half.[/quote]To what end? We can all read stats.You''re like a fan of another team trying to prove Norwich are cr@p

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="morty"]I really don''t understand what people think they are going to gain from threads like this, there seems to be a similar one every day.
[/quote]

Just posting the stats and coming to the conclusion that we do not put enough emphasis on winning these games. 

We have scored 10 goals in 15 games against the bottom half, and 21 in 18 against the top half.
[/quote]

To what end? We can all read stats.

You''re like a fan of another team trying to prove Norwich are cr@p
[/quote]

Well, the end could be our relegation.