Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Holt and Kamara to start in a 4-4-2

Surely worth a go. Try get in early vs Arsenal, if we endup losing 3-0, we gave it a go at least.

I reckon if we went along with that tactic for the last 6 games, we''d at least win 1 or 2

Whilst I would like to see that at some point I am not sure this is the game to try it. We will need to be stroing in midfield and keep the ball when we get it so i would stick with the 4-2-3-1 for this one.

On that note though if Pilks is not fit we could do worse than try Kei in one of the wide positions in the 3 and have Holt up front holding the ball up.

Funny how hardly anyone plays 4-4-2 anymore. Once upon a time, when I played local footy the system was 2-3-5, then Ramsey invented 4-3-3 which evolved into 4-4-2. Now some play 4-6-0 and very effectively but its variations of 1 upfront for virtually every team at the top level, and the risk of playing 4-4-2 is to get overrun in the midfield and down the flanks. If we played Holt and Kamara together, I think Kamara would most likely take on a similar position to Hoolahan, playing behind Holt. Still probably worth a go though.

Poor idea for me.The last 10 mins of the Swansea game they both played upfront, and proceeded to get in each others way, compete for the same balls, and basically make a pigs ear of it.IMO, if we need to play 2 up-front (and I''m not suggesting we should), you would need to include Becchio with either Holt or Kamara.

Becchio and Kamara for me. I would go 4 4 2 against Arsenal as well. Lets be honest, our midfield isn''t going to get a look in playing 4 5 1 or 4 4 2, however Arsenal are dreadful at set pieces and defending crosses. Get two men up front, get the ball wide and just keep putting balls in the box.
Becchio is a natural goalscorer, his record before xmas in the championship is better than almost any other lower league player we have ever been linked with, the guy certainly knows where the goal is, he just needs chances to come his way.

I think that 4-4-2 could work, presumably replacing Wes with a second striker- anything else would weaken the defence.

The question is, should it be Holt, or Becchio, with Kamara? Holt probably has the better record with heading, if our two wingers and two wing baacks keep up a supply of crosses.

Against the inclusion of Holt is his record to date. One of the websites yesterday had calculated the follow scoring record for Holt:

Played  28 games. Are they including all games, including as substitute - has he missed 4 games entirely?

33 shots - I think that they mean attempts at goal, that is including headers.

Of the 33, 15 were on target (-producing 5 goals), while 18 were off target.

If these statistics are correct, and there was no indication of how they were produced, then he has had little more than one chance per game, and of these chances 15 (about 45%) were actually directed at the goal.

Accepting the statistics, then, it sems that the claim is born out that he has not had many opportunities to score - less than 1.25 per game, partly because of the formation and team selection of CH. In addition his conversion rate of chances to goals, - 5 from 33 attempts, is low.

Will CH take the risk -

a) of going to Arsenal with two strikers from the start? - I think this unlikely, although in a home game it may be more likely

b) of playing Holt? - with a poor return this season, or of playing Becchio, with no record at all for us, virtually

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Surely worth a go. Try get in early vs Arsenal, if we endup losing 3-0, we gave it a go at least. I reckon if we went along with that tactic for the last 6 games, we''d at least win 1 or 2[/quote]

I can see this working.  When the Arsenal team and management see the line up with both Holt and Kamara in it, they''ll be besides themselves with laughter and mirth and lose all focus on the 90 minutes ahead!!

[quote user="SYG I''d prefer Becchio and Kamara. Holt is a liability quote]

That''s because you Sir (and I use that term most loosely) are an idiot. 😌

up until a few weeks ago, I was holts biggest fan.

but what has he honestly done to be ahead of becchio or kamara recently? nothing a part from tackles that could of left us with 10 men.

I''d like to see 4231 with KK taking over for hoops and Becchio up top;

Kamara in Hoolahan''s role?

Seriously?

I''ll have a pint of whatever it is you''ve been on if you think Kamara could play that role. Holt would be more suited to it than Kei.

Think you''re the one that''s on something. have you watched Kamara play at his best? from watching him play with Kansas - the team would be much better of with him as the number 9 compared to playing 2 strikers in a 4-4-2

Difficult - we tried to contain Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U.Similarly, I don''t think we''ll contain Arsenal so don''t see the downside of being more attacking. Think we have to try and beat Reading so, hopefully, two strikers will be paired for that game and Arsenal may provide an opportunity for two forwards to play together for a change.

agreed highland, containment IS NOT the way to go when the odds are against us, but 4-4-2 is not the answer.

4-2-3-1 can be used so efficiently as an attacking formation. if boys don''t just sit back we could get something out of it

Spot on, 4-2-3-1 is not a negative formation, the tactics employed with it determine whether it is positive or negative, as with any formation.

Agreed - more attacking intent at Arsenal should be the order of the afternoon.

It should certainly be the order of the afternoon against Reading and I accept it is not a widely held view among posters on this site but I would have two strikers in the team vs Reading - Holt and Kamara.

Well, Javier, I''ll bow to your greater knowledge. But, if you want someone to play in the Wes role, the best player at the club to do that is, erm, Wes Hoolahan.

Kamara might be a Fans fave, but I''d start Holt ahead of him every week.

Shows what I know...

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]If we want to have about 30% possession then sure, go 4-4-2. If we want to actually compete in midfield I''d suggest Wes needs to play.[/quote]

We had between 30% and 40% possession (according to various reports) at home to Arsenal with 4-4-1-1 so how much worse could it be with 4-4-2? And we won that game!

Arsenal is one of those games where you won''t get anything by going for an attacking formation. They get forward in numbers, pass quickly and apply pressure off the ball. Staying solid by playing 4-2-3-1 seems tactically the better option, and the longer we shut them out the more frustrated they will get. From there, try and counter for a goal and make the most of set pieces to come away with a point or three.

On the topic of Holt and Kei however, I like the idea, but like I said before although I don''t think Arsenal is the game to do it, our home games left would be the time to try it because they are the games we have a more realistic chance of winning and the added pressure could prove effective. I agree with those who think Kei could be useful on the wing, and pair Holt with Becchio or Jacko.

Hughton would never admit it but he may well be leaving Holt out of the starting line-up because he doesn''t want to play 75 or 80 minutes with ten men and to have his striking options limited for the two following games by a ban.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Hughton would never admit it but he may well be leaving Holt out of the starting line-up because he doesn''t want to play 75 or 80 minutes with ten men and to have his striking options limited for the two following games by a ban.[/quote]

If Hughton believes that or even considers that, then Holt should be nowhere near the squad let alone the pitch.

Having said that, the insinuation that our club captain has a discipline problem so severe that the manager can''t trust him is one with no foundation and in all likelihood does him a gross disservice.

[quote user="Warren Hill"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Hughton would never admit it but he may well be leaving Holt out of the starting line-up because he doesn''t want to play 75 or 80 minutes with ten men and to have his striking options limited for the two following games by a ban.[/quote]

If Hughton believes that or even considers that, then Holt should be nowhere near the squad let alone the pitch.

Having said that, the insinuation that our club captain has a discipline problem so severe that the manager can''t trust him is one with no foundation and in all likelihood does him a gross disservice.[/quote]It isn''t an insinuation; it is a possible explanation (there are others) as to why Holt, at this critical time of the season, hasn''t been starting, and his place has been taken by a reasonably promising but raw Kamara. Which on the face of it seems strange.I haven''t seen any of the incidents but from reading quite a few posts here it seems Holt could easily have been sent off in each of the last three games, having come on late as a sub. That sounds, even if there is a bit of exaggeration, as if Holt may well have allowed the frustrations of this season to get to him and result in a lack of discipline. We are in a relegation fight and the last thing we need is to play most of a game with only ten men.

Well, I have seen and the truth, the fact, is that Holt hasn''t been sent off in any of those games.

I have to say Purple, I feel you are being deliberately mischievous.

I sincerely hope Holt starts tomorrow in a side that includes Tettey and Hoolahan.

Holt can count himself extremely fortunate to not be suspended right now Warren, there is no point denying it or defending it. The tackles against Mignolet and Flores could both easily have been straight reds on another day, and he almost talked himself into a 2nd yellow at Wigan. Actually if you go back to the Southampton game and his early yellow there, as Clattenburg ran over to the penalty box in the dying seconds I think most of the ground thought that he was going to give him a 2nd yellow for simulation rather than a penalty. Admittedly I haven''t seen that one again, couldn''t bring myself to watch it, but that was certainly what most people around me in The Barclay thought.

So how many times has he been sent off?

I wonder if United fans used to say this about Cantona or Keane...both have whom would surely have fallen into this "extremely fortunate" category most weeks, you can probably chuck Mark Hughes in there for good measure too.

Tell you what, why don''t us Norwich fans lobby the FA to get Holt banned because even though he hasn''t been sent off, we think he should have been.

Ludicrous.