Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Stoke vs Norwich

I think we''ve got a bit more to our game than Stoke, can see us edging the points

Reading Canary is just upset they are being relegated this season. Did you jump ship this season or when we got promoted?

Born and bred in Norwich. Currently live in Reading. IF anyone watched the Stoke game, impossible not to notice striking similarities between the way they play and the way we have recentlyAlso the substitutions of Owen, Crouch and Jerome were almost identical to the timings in which Hughton makes his subs.Heavy emphasis on set plays, while the passing in midfield was almost identical to the way we played vs Arsenal yesterday.Just my view

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Does anyone else think we play like Stoke?

[/quote]
No, not really. We at least show attacking intent, if not the flawless passing we would like. We will play with more intent than Stoke, with more direct play. More importantly, we score.

That game served to remind everyone that we DONT play like Stoke... constant ariel bombardment and mass GBH in the penalty box (unpunished of course). Play the way we did against Arsenal - compact, measured counter attacks - and we''ll beat them.

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

No, not really. We at least show attacking intent, if not the flawless passing we would like. We will play with more intent than Stoke, with more direct play. More importantly, we score.

[/quote]

From this afternoons game I would say our style was more Man U than Stoke. Also Stoke had 4 forwards brought for premier league football. 3 of them were on the bench today.

[/quote]Not saying we have identical play styles, but certainly similarities. Stoke set up with a 4 5 1 formation and Shotton especially seemed to be getting in areas almost identical to Kamara.First half they had obviously been told to contain UTD and their back 4 was pretty solid, although Carrick''s goal was a joke.There''s a clear emphasis on set plays and getting high balls into the box. I''d say again this is much like the way we have played last few games.Have a feeling that Stoke vs Norwich will effectively be 2 identical sides, in almost identical positions cancelling each other out.

Reading Canary eh? Do you know ''Golden Coppell'', who used to post on here? Calls himself ''Lincoln Canary'' these days. [:^)] [:D]

[/quote]

Not quite are more long-ball and physical but we have similar aims in defending a point rather than winning, and thus both teams are in the mire. I predict 0-0 for this game.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Reading Canary eh? Do you know ''Golden Coppell'', who used to post on here? Calls himself ''Lincoln Canary'' these days. [:^)] [:D][/quote]No. Although recall him as being one of the overly negative fellas on here.I''m simply making an observation about two teams, who in my opinion, seem to be playing similar football in a similar league position.After all Forums are for debating!

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="lappinitup"]Reading Canary eh? Do you know ''Golden Coppell'', who used to post on here? Calls himself ''Lincoln Canary'' these days. [:^)] [:D]
[/quote]

No. Although recall him as being one of the overly negative fellas on here.

I''m simply making an observation about two teams, who in my opinion, seem to be playing similar football in a similar league position.

After all Forums are for debating!
[/quote]

Hi RC, nice to meet somebody that''s open for debate for a change. We don''t find many of our ilk on this BB nowadays.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="lappinitup"]Reading Canary eh? Do you know ''Golden Coppell'', who used to post on here? Calls himself ''Lincoln Canary'' these days. [:^)] [:D]
[/quote]

I''m simply making an observation about two teams, who in my opinion, seem to be playing similar football in a similar league position.

[/quote]

Or they should be. I think you''ll find that a lot of contriutors to this forum would be better off writing blogs or posting somewhere where they don''t need to debate their opinions.

Despite similar formations used, I don''t think we play like Stoke at all really.

Stoke will try to hit the front man early, and look to feed off scraps and set pieces.

We generally do try to build up play, and pass it around at the back much more than they do. Of course we go long at points, but so do most teams. We do like to use set pieces also.

They play the likes of Shotton right wing, where as we will usually always have Pilks/Snoddy/Benno out wide, who are attacking threats, not merely in there for long throws.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not this forum sadly mate. It''s all about point scoring against fellow posters. Lappin loves it and plays the game very well. He loves nothing more than ridiculing fellow posters he doesn''t agree with and like a sheep follows the so call "respected forum members" Best to ignore him.

Back to your point, I agree Norwich and Stoke both play very hard to watch football. Although I suspect when we play them it could be a very good game. It certainly could be make or break for both sides.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not this forum sadly mate. It''s all about point scoring against fellow posters. Lappin loves it and plays the game very well. He loves nothing more than ridiculing fellow posters he doesn''t agree with and like a sheep follows the so call "respected forum members" Best to ignore him.

Back to your point, I agree Norwich and Stoke both play very hard to watch football. Although I suspect when we play them it could be a very good game. It certainly could be make or break for both sides.

[/quote]

I would consider myself as a poster whi is always willing to debate. Unfortunately my post apparently counts against me.

Why do you think we are hard to watch? I reckon if we are 3/4s of the premier league is hard to watch. From the comments and reactions I hear during games we aren''t direct enough for a lot of fans. I guess beauty is always in the eye of the beholder but I would rather watch us keep posession and build from the back than play direct.

I think the truth is that anything but winning football is hard to watch and there''s a lot less chance of us playing winning football in the premier league.

My personal opinion is recently we haven''t been playing the fast paced, flowing football we played last season and in games such as Man City home and Swansea away (First Half in particular) this season.I don''t believe we go into games playing for the draw, but I do think in every game recently, Hughton gets to a point where he decides that the draw is the best result and doesn''t see the risk in going for the win. (Something which may end up severely hurting us).In my eyes Hughton''s job was to ensure we stayed up, if that meant drawing a lot of games and playing "negative football" so be it. And I honestly think we''ll stay up.If it''s the same style of football when we have players like RVW and others in the team though... can see him losing a lot more support.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]My personal opinion is recently we haven''t been playing the fast paced, flowing football we played last season and in games such as Man City home and Swansea away (First Half in particular) this season.I don''t believe we go into games playing for the draw, but I do think in every game recently, Hughton gets to a point where he decides that the draw is the best result and doesn''t see the risk in going for the win. (Something which may end up severely hurting us).In my eyes Hughton''s job was to ensure we stayed up, if that meant drawing a lot of games and playing "negative football" so be it. And I honestly think we''ll stay up.If it''s the same style of football when we have players like RVW and others in the team though... can see him losing a lot more support.[/quote]

Pretty good summary of the situation there Reading, I don''t think in some games there is any problem with deciding to play for the draw. Some people will obviously see it differently.

Next season we need to be more of an attacking threat, and I think we will be

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="lappinitup"]Do you know ''Golden Coppell'', who used to post on here? Calls himself ''Lincoln Canary'' these days.[/quote]

No. Although recall him as being one of the overly negative fellas on here.[/quote]

It''s all about point scoring against fellow posters. Lappin loves it and plays the game very well. He loves nothing more than ridiculing fellow posters he doesn''t agree with and like a sheep follows the so call "respected forum members" Best to ignore him.[/quote]

LOL!  How do you ridicule a poster who had two accounts and argued with himself? Who pretended to be a Reading fan and called City fans "budgies"even after it was pointed out only the scum called us that? You''ve never have anything good to say about our club...whichever account you use.

As far as the football on display this season goes, I agree with much Reading Canary says. I find the football on display ''intriguing'' rather than boring or negative. We are a good side and I think we will stay up. There are still six teams below us. Barring a miracle, Reading and QPR are gone which means we only have to be ahead of one more team.  If we still had last years side I would have been more worried.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="lappinitup"]Do you know ''Golden Coppell'', who used to post on here? Calls himself ''Lincoln Canary'' these days.[/quote]

No. Although recall him as being one of the overly negative fellas on here.[/quote]

It''s all about point scoring against fellow posters. Lappin loves it and plays the game very well. He loves nothing more than ridiculing fellow posters he doesn''t agree with and like a sheep follows the so call "respected forum members" Best to ignore him.[/quote]

LOL!  How do you ridicule a poster who had two accounts and argued with himself? Who pretended to be a Reading fan and called City fans "budgies"even after it was pointed out only the scum called us that? You''ve never have anything good to say about our club...whichever account you use.

As far as the football on display this season goes, I agree with much Reading Canary says. I find the football on display ''intriguing'' rather than boring or negative. We are a good side and I think we will stay up. There are still six teams below us. Barring a miracle, Reading and QPR are gone which means we only have to be ahead of one more team.  If we still had last years side I would have been more worried.

Point proved. You just can''t help yourself!!

[/quote]

Last season it was an incredibly dull match. This year I suspect it will be a somewhat more intense encounter. But we have to try and navigate Reading first.

With both teams recording just one win since the beginning of the year, and both sides needing to play almost three hours of football for every goal scored so far in 2013, Reading has a valid point.

It''s no good air-brushing this fixture. It could possibly turn out to be a clash between two of the most out-of-form sides in the history of the Premiership.

Can''t see it being featured first on MOTD.

You can''t dress it up any other way really. In terms of entertainment value this season ourselves and Stoke have probably offered the least to the league all season. Both sides are in no real form and the stakes are so high in this one. So it is unlikely to be conducive to really good football.

But fortunately staying in the Premier League isn''t dependant upon an X factor style vote about whether you''ve been entertained. A couple decent results will get us over the line.

If we manage to achieve that then in the summer Chris Hughton can then add the attacking players he believes will give us more of a cutting edge. If we continue to play this way next season then I think complaints about the style of football are totally justified because it is truly his team. As for Stoke. They have spent millions and been in the league for years. They have no excuse.

Admittedly at times we have been very poor, but it goes with the territory of being a ''middle table'' side.

But I guess i''m in the minority, as I think we''ve played well quite a lot of the time, but with no cutting edge in attack. Yes, I understand that football is about scoring goals, and therefore on that regard we haven''t been very successful.

I think there has been numerous times, that we have got into good position and the final pass has ruined the attacks. With a little bit more quality (hopefully summer additions over and above of RvW) then we''re see more clinical side.

[quote user="Baracouda"]Admittedly at times we have been very poor, but it goes with the territory of being a ''middle table'' side. But I guess i''m in the minority, as I think we''ve played well quite a lot of the time, but with no cutting edge in attack. Yes, I understand that football is about scoring goals, and therefore on that regard we haven''t been very successful. I think there has been numerous times, that we have got into good position and the final pass has ruined the attacks. With a little bit more quality (hopefully summer additions over and above of RvW) then we''re see more clinical side.[/quote]

Well you''ve got company here buddy.