Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

and todays game shows why Hawkeye wont work.....

Correct me if i am wrong, but I have been told that the referee will receive and indication on his watch if all the ball crosses all of the line...so take today, take the officials, say Kamara had hit a ball that had smashed off the bar and down and over the line before being cleared.. 2-0 up at the emirates! I think not.., Mr referee can look at his watch, see the word "goal" look up at the players... "play on chaps...."and who''d be any the wiser?

Because as soon as the TV cameras saw that it had gone in then one of two explanations is possible; either the technology isn''t working or the ref cheated. And given that the FA would, I imagine, be spending huge amounts of money to implement the system, I doubt they''re going to happily admit that it was a waste of money just to cover the back of a crooked ref.

Totally agree, Hawk-eye is a quick fix

Video replays will HAVE to be implemented in the sport eventually, it''s the way all sport is going.

But to the ref watch thing, it''d also be sent to the fourth official etc, it would be impossible for a ''goal'' to not be a ''goal''

[quote user="AJ"]Totally agree, Hawk-eye is a quick fix

Video replays will HAVE to be implemented in the sport eventually, it''s the way all sport is going.

But to the ref watch thing, it''d also be sent to the fourth official etc, it would be impossible for a ''goal'' to not be a ''goal''[/quote]and the last time you saw the 4th official have any impact in a game was.....?????all he is there to do is agree with the referee and hold up the subs board.

That and the fact the the people running the technology sending the signal to the ref''s watch would know aswell. But ho-hum.

Is the ball crossing or not crossing the goal line the biggest argument for goal line technology?

It seems from all the incidents that happen every week, offside and penalty decisions are the most common issues that affect the result of a game.

Goal line technology being considered will not address that. Instant video replays have to be introduced to "assist" the officials.

The Premier League is too big a business now to rely only on the officials who can be blind-sided or hoodwinked, or dare I say "influenced".

I know it will not be easy as football is more free flowing than other games, but even now there has been adopted the play on and call back if no advantage has been gained from a foul (similar to rugby), so it can be possible to use a similar delay to review the incident on video.

After all the officials would see what we see on tv and they can make a decision based on that instead of being embarrassed later.

The reason GLT can be implemented first and effectively is becuase whether the ball crossed the line or not is not a subjective decision. Whilst most offside calls are fairly straight forward there are also ones like the Sunderland v Norwich game where the question of whether the attacking player is ''active'' or not.

Wether the ball has crossed the line or not can be determined instantly, without the game having to be pulled back - this is why GLT can be brought in without making massive changes to the game. Video replays can''t be introduced so seemlessly.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="AJ"]Totally agree, Hawk-eye is a quick fix Video replays will HAVE to be implemented in the sport eventually, it''s the way all sport is going. But to the ref watch thing, it''d also be sent to the fourth official etc, it would be impossible for a ''goal'' to not be a ''goal''[/quote]

and the last time you saw the 4th official have any impact in a game was.....?????

all he is there to do is agree with the referee and hold up the subs board.
[/quote]

Birmingham v Millwall when he disallowed Chaplow''s goal for offside after the ref and lino couldn''t decide and were going to award it. I think they have a greater influence on the game than we realise. Have you noticed the number of times this season referees have taken a long time to make decisions? This is usually accompanied by a "he did well there, he gave himself time to think about it". I suggest not. He is giving himself time to hear from the fourth official who is watching replays of incidents on his lap-top.