Sign in to follow this  
SYG

Holt offers nothing...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Ah yes! All very well but I feel there''s something missing. How fat was he today? And what minutes should he have been booked and sent off in?

[/quote]...Understanding the ''SULK'' is not too dissimilar from reading a novel...we have progressed through those chapters now! We are now reading towards the gripping finale...RIP Grant Holt your heroics for us in the lower leagues will eternally be treasured...but just a couple of yards off the pace for the Premiership.

[quote user="ARCHIEGEMMELL"]RIP Grant Holt your heroics for us in the lower leagues will eternally be treasured...but just a couple of yards off the pace for the Premiership.[/quote]It is almost as if some posters have wiped last season from their memory.  What chance Grant scores the goal to seal our premiership survival.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="ARCHIEGEMMELL"]RIP Grant Holt your heroics for us in the lower leagues will eternally be treasured...but just a couple of yards off the pace for the Premiership.[/quote]It is almost as if some posters have wiped last season from their memory.  What chance Grant scores the goal to seal our premiership survival.[/quote]
It''s on those laurels some believe he rests.

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]It is almost as if some posters have wiped last season from their memory.  What chance Grant scores the goal to seal our premiership survival.[/quote]
It''s on those laurels some believe he rests.
[/quote]Perhaps, but I am struggling to name any striker who has impressed given this season''s cautious defensive approach.  As a boring statto aside, we have scored 31 and conceded 52 in 33 games this season, after the same number of games last season we scored 46 and conceded 52.

What shocks me the most is the speed of Holt''s decline. He''s gone from hero to zero over the course of the summer break. I don''t buy the age thing... in the absence of serious injury, one season shouldn''t make much of a difference.

It''s truly shocking. If I were McNally, I''d be kicking myself for awarding him a new contract. Ship him off in the summer - otherwise start charging him to play for us.

I''m sick to the back teeth of people using the "look what he did for us last year", as if it somehow excuses his current performances. What matters is now.

I''ll hold my hand up and say I was one of he sceptics who wonders whether the premier league was a step too far for him. He''d never played at this level, so it was natural to wonder. You only have to look at the comments when a lower league striker is touted as a potential signing to see that it''s not unreasonable to think this. We consistently see players dismissed with comment along the lines of "untested at this level, so no thanks". Not by everybody, but by some.

I was delighted when he proved me wrong in spectacular style, and I held my hand up to acknowledge how wrong I was.

Fast forward to this season, via a poorly considered transfer request, protracted contract negotiations and a deserved call from Woy that never came and what have we got? Seemingly a player who looks, to my eyes and those of plenty of others (some of whom I know outside the comfortably anonymous realms of the Internet), to have lost interest. Inevitably when a player loses interest he also "loses" some of his talent. Grant hasn''t had as many chances this season, but what we saw last year was a player who contributed in so many ways other than goal scoring. He was a terror for opposition defences. At the moment he looks slow, predictable, and unable to cause defences the kind of worry that he did last year. He''s looked slow because he''s caught on his heels more now than previously. He doesn''t seem to be looking for or anticipating the opportunity to get himself into the game and make a difference as much as might once have done.

We''ve heard from Grant himself about how he''s been questioned in public about his desire for the game, and his loyalty to City. He has rebuffed these claims, and maybe he genuinely believes in his replies, but the evidence (as I see it) points to a player that has lost the "hunger" that he was previously famed for, and his game seems to be suffering for it.

It''s a shame because a fully motivated Grant Holt was a nightmare for the opposition. It''s also catch 22 for City, as despite his lack of form Holt is still the best we currently have at our disposal. We have to stick by him until the end if the season.

What happens past that is anybody''s guess. I''d love to see him get back to his best and strike up a productive partnership with our much heralded record signing. Equally, what might happen is we sign another striker or two and we say farewell to the man who delivered Premier League football.

I really do hope it doesn''t come to that, but at the moment I don''t think he''s playing Premier League football, and if that continues then maybe it is time to move on.

You lot really are a sad bunch.   I wasn''t at the match, but even on the edited highlights it showed a chance where Martin was on the right, Holty was at the far post, made a run to get in front of his defender - a clear chance - and the ball went nowhere near him.    So to say he didn''t do anything in the whole match is gone right there. Use your eyes and brains if you''re going to criticise a player.    He may be having a frustrating time, but the fans ganging up on him isn''t helping.    He''s not overweight, he''s not unfit, he is struggling to do well in a team that doesn''t create that many chances.    But that team was winning against arsenal, until dubious decisions, that team against Sunderland away was doing well until the sending off - and still did well.

All you people writing him off again are just plain wrong.   As someone said, if he scores the winner to keep us in the PL over the next few weeks, what then - zero to hero?  

Scooby "Oh FFS SYG. We get the message, you hate Grant Holt!! But to create an account just to give your moronic view some support smacks of desperation. What did he do? Turn you down when you propositioned him in the gents? Probably gave you a good hiding into the bargain, you sad little boy"

Excuse me, what account have I made up?

I''ll agree Holt has struggled in the 2nd half of this seasn and his body language suggests hes doesn''t like the "Hughton way!" but to say he offers nothing is complete ballocks!

Compared to Becchio, Jackson, Kane, Chris Martin, Morison, Kamara and any other striker that I have forgotton whos played for us this season Holts done the most!

How many out and out chances has Holt missed this season? You could coutn them on one hand!

I thought he led the line OK yesterday without looking that special but the service he was getting wasn''t good. Snodgrass is one of the biggest culprits cause he gets in some good crossing positions but nearly always choses to delay crossing instead fannying abut until he gets dispocessed or sometimes gets a free kick. We are nowhere near direct enough inthe final third!

[quote user="nochain09"]At the end of the day, this is a business in effect and if your workers can''t adapt to change to meet its goals......get rid!![/quote]But you also have to be able to take an introspective look and ask whether or not the change being made is truly justified and/or offers better value long term before taking that step, and on the basis of what I''ve seen this season - it isn''t......

[quote user="kingsway"]

How many out and out chances has Holt missed this season? You could coutn them on one hand!

[/quote]

And how many out and out chances has he taken?

[quote user="nochain09"]This is true to a certain degree, but it seems to me that not even the basics are being done correctly! Holding the ball up poorly, not fit/quick enough to get on to balls, poor control of the ball (particularly in this game)! It comes across to me as its all justified by him by saying he works hard, but all I see recently was a few bull dog runs to chase a ball and then exhausted to do anything!

At the end of the day, this is a business in effect and if your workers can''t adapt to change to meet its goals......get rid!![/quote]

This kind of attitude disgusts me. Whether it is this year or in the future, when Grant leaves he should go with a fanfare of respect and affection. He has been one of the club''s finest ever players however you set the criteria.

The lack of respect, gratitude and appreciation for the man who led us from our lowest point to the the Premier League is appalling. Get rid! Shame on you. This is our club captain not the carrier bag you brought back from your dog walk.

Was Iwan hounded out like this? Or Hucks? Christ, even Chris Martin is afforded more appreciation. The threads on Jackson have been regretful and appreciative for a player who did his best but was not quite good enough.

It may be that Holt is declining. It may be a blip. He may have a valuable role as a sub next season. None of us know.

I find the fury and anger of so many posts like this quite repellant. And unnecessary. Again, shame on you.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="kingsway"]

[/quote]

And how many out and out chances has he taken?[/quote]2012/13:  40 shots; 5 goals; 12.5% conversion rate2011/12:  77 shots; 15 goals; 19.5% conversion rate

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="kingsway"]

[/quote]

And how many out and out chances has he taken?[/quote]2012/13:  23(6) appearances; 40 shots; 5 goals; 12.5% conversion rate2011/12:  24(12) appearances; 77 shots; 15 goals; 19.5% conversion rate

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Another interesting stat about Grant Holt this season.

2012/13:  23(6) appearances; 68 aerial duels won out of 170

2011/12:  24(12) appearances; 23 aerial duels won out of 68
[/quote]

Definitely interesting. What conclusions did you draw from those stats?

Could it be that he looks so fat his team mates aim for his gut rather than his head?

It''s a fact that Norwich have scored less this season, not just Grant Holt.

Pilks has scored much less than last season, but I see no one criticising him. Pilkington has had an apalling season, I can count on one hand the number of good games he''s had. The goal against Manchester United has blinded a lot of fans to the truth that''s he''s woefully inconsistent. At times it been like playing with ten en on the pitch. It''s much more fun to criticise a Club legend though isn''t it?!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Another interesting stat about Grant Holt this season.2012/13:  23(6) appearances; 68 aerial duels won out of 1702011/12:  24(12) appearances; 23 aerial duels won out of 68[/quote]

Definitely interesting. What conclusions did you draw from those stats?

Could it be that he looks so fat his team mates aim for his gut rather than his head?

[/quote]

I was surprised more than anything at the increase in the number of aerial duels.  I guess that is down to the one up front formation, as he is the only outlet.  Moro had 60/135 in 22(12) last season and he played a lot of games as a lone striker.

I''m sorry but I was merely focusing on the present form, to which I feel my opinion is pretty accurate on.

There is no doubt that he is and always will be a club legend. It''s just so disappointing to see the current form and mindset he is currently displaying. It would be brilliant if football wasn''t such a cut throat sport/business but the ever increasing demand for success pushes it that way.

I wish that he would return to the form that we all know he is capable of but all I can express is my opinion of what I see now and in the recent past of his contribution to NCFC.

I guess you just have ask, how long do you wait till the situation changes?

I have been critical of Grant Holt in the last few months (justifiably in my view but that''s neither here nor there), but now is really not the time to be getting on the backs of anyone in our team. We have 5 games and we all need to pull together so let''s get behind all of the lads, see them through to survival and see where we are in the summer.

[quote user="splutcho"]I have been critical of Grant Holt in the last few months (justifiably in my view but that''s neither here nor there), but now is really not the time to be getting on the backs of anyone in our team. We have 5 games and we all need to pull together so let''s get behind all of the lads, see them through to survival and see where we are in the summer.[/quote]

[Y]

Some of his performances have disappointed me this season but our best form and best/biggest results have come with him in the team.

Might not be as good as he once was but he is still the best centreforward at the club (when he plays like he means it).

It''s all rather sad, - little like physical decline among the elderly, he doesn''t seem the player he was.

On Saturday, with Kei playing wide some of the time, Holt was on his own sometimes, so it was a good chance for him.

It may be that he didn''t have many opportunities, it may be that he is not quite fully match fit, but he seems a shadow of last year''s player. Is t being over cynical to suggest that once he got his new contract, he felt he didn''t need to put so much effort in? Is it this family have gone, and he is missing them so far away? Is it that other teams have worked out how to get him booked?

I don''t know the answer to my questions - there may be some other factor, which we can''t even guess, but as things are I would not be surprised if the only changes for next Saturday will be a place for Pilks and Becchio for Holt (Becchio was on the bench on Saturday, I think, so if he shows spirit in training this week....)