Sign in to follow this  
SYG

Holt offers nothing...

As the title says. He started the game, as many of you on here wanted him too, and was just awful. Did not win a signal ball in the air, his hold up play and passing was laughable, I''m sorry but he is a massive liability and needs to go in the summer...

[quote user="SYG"]As the title says. He started the game, as many of you on here wanted him too, and was just awful. Did not win a signal ball in the air, his hold up play and passing was laughable, I''m sorry but he is a massive liability and needs to go in the summer...[/quote]

Scores goals for fun in the championship so we should probally keep him.

Go choke on your own vomit.

We lost to ARSENAL.Dont go slating the guy who pretty much scored the goals to get us into the place to be even playing against Arsenal.Im getting tired of oxygen theives like yo

its not that he''s not good enough - we know he is - he just doesn''t have the same determination and desire anymore. For his sake and ours, he needs to move on. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but us fans shouldn''t have got so cry baby last summer and should''ve let mcnally ship him out then.

Nexus you''re funny. You''re talking about 2 years ago, we are in the present. In the present he isn''t good enough, it''s as simple as that

Got to agree.....apart from a defensive clearance from a corner he was shocking.

Why wasn''t Bechio subbed or started?

[quote user="SYG"]Nexus you''re funny. You''re talking about 2 years ago, we are in the present. In the present he isn''t good enough, it''s as simple as that[/quote]You miss the part where hes had to adapt to a new system and being asked to do a job outside his role.Its like if someone asked you to stop cooking the fries and flip burgers. You would have a melt down and probably start cooking the salad instead.

This is true to a certain degree, but it seems to me that not even the basics are being done correctly! Holding the ball up poorly, not fit/quick enough to get on to balls, poor control of the ball (particularly in this game)! It comes across to me as its all justified by him by saying he works hard, but all I see recently was a few bull dog runs to chase a ball and then exhausted to do anything!

At the end of the day, this is a business in effect and if your workers can''t adapt to change to meet its goals......get rid!!

To play upfront on your own your touch and passing need to be good and I''m afraid that isn''t Holt. Maybe Hughton''s fault for playing him that system!!

I normally just browse the forum, but I decided to sign up to air my view for once. I think it''s unbelievable how some people continue to back Holt. I understand that over the past few seasons he has been one of, if not our best player. However, note the past tense. This season he has been nowhere near his best and just looks like an average championship striker. I also understand that our tactics have changed since Hughton has become manager, but this does not excuse his general demeanour and play. I know he will not have as many chances and so will not score as many. But if you just look at his attitude during most of the games he has played in this season, it is like he is doing the bare minimum to try and keep people off his back. Whilst before he would challenge for headers, now he barely tries to jump, instead chosing to let the player challenging him jump into him to concede a foul. This might work sometimes but it is just pure laziness. He hardly ever runs to challenge for the ball, and spends so much time effing and blinding to the referee, mostly for (correct) decisions given against him. If he put in more effort into his game he could be the top player he was for most of last season, but in all honesty he does not look like he does or wants to put in the effort.What has he done to merit being captain today? He is not a good example for the players at the moment and his whingey attitude shouldnt be what we are about. Again, I acknowledge his contribution the last few seasons, but places should be based on form, and his is not great at all. We are a football club and a business and should not be ruled by nostalgia.And in response to your analogy, if someone can''t adapt from cooking fries to flipping burgers then they should probably not have the job.

Just do not understand his attitude. Did not seem to bother. Never made much effort in challenging in the air, poor ball control, and we saw nothing of his constant harrying as in previous seasons. In the first half a pass was made to the Arsenal winger deep in our half, Holt was 10 yards away and he just walked from the play. He should have been substituted at half time together with Kamara who appeared lost and out of his depth on the wing. Some terrible decisions against us, but it looked for the whole of the match that once they eventually scored - match over.

Ah yes! All very well but I feel there''s something missing. How fat was he today? And what minutes should he have been booked and sent off in?

It''s really encouraging that we can go away to Arsenal, play a fat useless lump up front and a crap MLS makeweight on the wing, and nearly get something from the game with nine men.  Imagine what we might do over the summer if by some miracle we avoid relegation.

I laughed when I read the subject of this post.     Why? Because this board just wouldnt be the same more recently without the slagging of Grant Holt thread...closely followed by the slagging of Howson thread......until the next flavour of the month crops up......my guess is that it will be....ooh let me see.....

Simply ask the question, why would Hughton pick him and leave him on if Holt was not doing what he wanted? He could have played just Kamara up from. He could have brought on Becchio.

A possible answer is that Holt is doing what Hughton wants. Perhaps he has told Holt not to chase every ball and to save energy. I don''t know.

Perhaps one of you who know everything as can read the minds and hearts of Holt and Hughton will inform the rest of us.

Didn''t think Holt done too badly. Couple of poor touches etc but he''s always been a player who lacks sharpness unless playing week in week out.

I think the key thing is that we had two forwards in the team today; hopefully, these tactics will be employed in the two more important fixtures which follow.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Ah yes! All very well but I feel there''s something missing. How fat was he today? And what minutes should he have been booked and sent off in?

[/quote]

I have defended Grant Holt on here a lot in recent weeks, but I have to admit, he looks completely off the pace right now.  Clearly something is not right mentally with him at the moment. It is as if he has to force the effort, resulting in the bad tackles.  Today there were a couple of times when the old Grant Holt would have been chasing for the ball, but he decided not to.

Confidence, tactics, lone striker role, family problems, defenders more used to him, a mixture of all of the above?

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="SYG"]As the title says. He started the game, as many of you on here wanted him too, and was just awful. Did not win a signal ball in the air, his hold up play and passing was laughable, I''m sorry but he is a massive liability and needs to go in the summer...[/quote]

Scores goals for fun in the championship so we should probally keep him.

[/quote]

He''ll have retired a long time before we''re in the Championship again.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I have defended Grant Holt on here a lot in recent weeks, but I have to admit, he looks completely off the pace right now.  Clearly something is not right mentally with him at the moment. It is as if he has to force the effort, resulting in the bad tackles.  Today there were a couple of times when the old Grant Holt would have been chasing for the ball, but he decided not to.Confidence, tactics, lone striker role, family problems, defenders more used to him, a mixture of all of the above?

[/quote]

You can add to your mixture the constant disparaging of his abilities/fitness etc by the fans.   You can add to your mixture the constant references to his pre-season contract talks, which are used as a weapon against him - even though no-one knew the full facts.  Constantly barracked for his fitness/weight/ability/loyalty (unfairly in my view)  - in fact you could say that everything may seem against him.   Not an environment for your captain, talisman and goalscorer to flourish in really, is it?

I blame the fans (as I often do [:$] ).  On the pitch Holty  is a whole hearted give it everything type player -  and the behind the scenes he comes across as friendly, likeable and family oriented.  Unfortunately, as successful as he has been for us, there has always been an undercurrent  of  doubt about him  - and people quick to pounce on his perceived weaknesses.    He has always proved them wrong.    I hope he will do so again.  

[quote user="ncfcboy. I normally just browse the forum, but I decided to sign up to air my view for once. I think it''s unbelievable how some people continue to back Holt. I understand that over the past few seasons he has been one of, if not our best player. However, note the past tense. This season he has been nowhere near his best and just looks like an average championship striker. I also understand that our tactics have changed since Hughton has become manager, but this does not excuse his general demeanour and play. I know he will not have as many chances and so will not score as many. But if you just look at his attitude during most of the games he has played in this season, it is like he is doing the bare minimum to try and keep people off his back. Whilst before he would challenge for headers, now he barely tries to jump, instead chosing to let the player challenging him jump into him to concede a foul. This might work sometimes but it is just pure laziness. He hardly ever runs to challenge for the ball, and spends so much time effing and blinding to the referee, mostly for (correct) decisions given against him. If he put in more effort into his game he could be the top player he was for most of last season, but in all honesty he does not look like he does or wants to put in the effort.What has he done to merit being captain today? He is not a good example for the players at the moment and his whingey attitude shouldnt be what we are about. Again, I acknowledge his contribution the last few seasons, but places should be based on form, and his is not great at all. We are a football club and a business and should not be ruled by nostalgia.And in response to your analogy, if someone can''t adapt from cooking fries to flipping burgers then they should probably not have the job. quote]

Oh FFS SYG. We get the message, you hate Grant Holt!! But to create an account just to give your moronic view some support smacks of desperation. What did he do? Turn you down when you propositioned him in the gents? Probably gave you a good hiding into the bargain, you sad little boy.

[quote user="SYG"]I normally just browse the forum, but I decided to sign up to air my view for once. I think it''s unbelievable how some people continue to back Holt. I understand that over the past few seasons he has been one of, if not our best player. However, note the past tense. This season he has been nowhere near his best and just looks like an average championship striker. I also understand that our tactics have changed since Hughton has become manager, but this does not excuse his general demeanour and play. I know he will not have as many chances and so will not score as many. But if you just look at his attitude during most of the games he has played in this season, it is like he is doing the bare minimum to try and keep people off his back. Whilst before he would challenge for headers, now he barely tries to jump, instead chosing to let the player challenging him jump into him to concede a foul. This might work sometimes but it is just pure laziness. He hardly ever runs to challenge for the ball, and spends so much time effing and blinding to the referee, mostly for (correct) decisions given against him. If he put in more effort into his game he could be the top player he was for most of last season, but in all honesty he does not look like he does or wants to put in the effort.What has he done to merit being captain today? He is not a good example for the players at the moment and his whingey attitude shouldnt be what we are about. Again, I acknowledge his contribution the last few seasons, but places should be based on form, and his is not great at all. We are a football club and a business and should not be ruled by nostalgia.And in response to your analogy, if someone can''t adapt from cooking fries to flipping burgers then they should probably not have the job.[/quote]Why create a new forum name for this post ?I guess you missed the entire point of the analogy you half wit

No idea who syg is. But good job the last two posters by backing up your points with a jab at intelligence and homophobic comments. Bet you''re Norwich and proud.

I do wonder what Becchio must be thinking. What on earth does he have to do to get a game?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I have defended Grant Holt on here a lot in recent weeks, but I have to admit, he looks completely off the pace right now.  Clearly something is not right mentally with him at the moment. It is as if he has to force the effort, resulting in the bad tackles.  Today there were a couple of times when the old Grant Holt would have been chasing for the ball, but he decided not to.Confidence, tactics, lone striker role, family problems, defenders more used to him, a mixture of all of the above?

[/quote]

You can add to your mixture the constant disparaging of his abilities/fitness etc by the fans.   You can add to your mixture the constant references to his pre-season contract talks, which are used as a weapon against him - even though no-one knew the full facts.  Constantly barracked for his fitness/weight/ability/loyalty (unfairly in my view)  - in fact you could say that everything may seem against him.   Not an environment for your captain, talisman and goalscorer to flourish in really, is it?

I blame the fans (as I often do [:$] ).  On the pitch Holty  is a whole hearted give it everything type player -  and the behind the scenes he comes across as friendly, likeable and family oriented.  Unfortunately, as successful as he has been for us, there has always been an undercurrent  of  doubt about him  - and people quick to pounce on his perceived weaknesses.    He has always proved them wrong.    I hope he will do so again.  

[/quote]

That''s exactly how it''s been played out on here. Often the same posters who then go back in their shells when Holty stuffs their words down their throat. Eventually, if they come back often enough, they may have the last word. Will it be this time? I don''t think so...