Sign in to follow this  
Who are ya?

Is Bunn too good to be a number 2?

After stepping in this season and proving he is a premier league keeper, is there room next season for Bunn and Ruddy in our squad.

He has proven he is an excellent shot stopper, has quick decision making, and something which often goes unnoticed is he organises his defence well, and above all is passionate about his football.

If he is not going to be first choice next season I can see him moving on, or maybe it is time a cash in on Ruddy?

He is too good and that is why I think we are lucky to have such great keepers. Ruddy will have to fight for his place back. If not, if we were to sell Bunn, we would make a tidy profit but I would like him to stay as he is a brilliant keeper.

[quote user="Yellow Rose of Texas"]" maybe it is time a cash in on Ruddy? "

No thank you. Unless we were to go down, then I could see the logic of cashing in and keeping Bunn.[/quote]

Both Ruddy and Bunn have their strengths and weaknesses but overall I don''t think their is much to choose between them. Ruddy is English and would there command a higher fee, if we were in position where we couldn''t keep both happy.

Bunn isn''t too good to be a number 2.

And selling Ruddy would be very very stupid unless his ability has fallen because of his injury. Even in the three thrashings we received this season with him in goal, I can''t remember him being at fault at all. In fact against Chelsea i''m fairly sure he had a pretty good game. He was superb, and it took the defence some time to gain confidence in Bunn and start playing how they did with Ruddy behind them, although i''d suggest the defence is still prone to more errors than they were when Ruddy was in goal.

Its clearly not just about technical ability, although Ruddy is better anyway, but also how the GK commands his area and organises the defence. And I really think Bunn isn''t anywhere near as good as that as Ruddy is. But Bunn is a good keeper, and he''s more than good enough to take over for long periods if Ruddy gets injured again.

At the moment, Bunn is first choice and Ruddy will have to fight for that. But there isn''t much of this season left, no cup games. So Ruddy may not even play for the first team, and will just have to sit on the bench for a few games. But come next season i''m certain he''ll be first choice. And to be honest, his injury could be a bit of a blessing is disguise, as he won''t necessarily be at the top of anyones transfer targets because he''s been out for so long. If he had been fit all season, I have no doubt the rumours currently surrounding the Sunderland and Stoke GKs, would also apply to Ruddy. He''d have been right up there in terms of best PL GK this season.

"Ruddy is English and would there command a higher fee"

Err?

Where do you think Mark Bunn was born?

Bunns passion is very clear and I rate him, definitely.

When he was sent off, he was almost in tears and his actions after the arsenal penalty were genuinely fantastic to see.

I think Ruddy is our number one but I feel confident with Bunn and believe he deserves a shout at keeping the shirt for the end of the season.

I wouldnt sell either, this season has proved you need two good goalkeepers

[quote user="AJ"]"Ruddy is English and would there command a higher fee"

Err?

Where do you think Mark Bunn was born?[/quote]

Good spot! Hold my hands up thought he was Irish, turns out it''s just his grandparents that are Irish. Anyway point still stands, Ruddy would command a higher fee but because he is an "England International"

LOL why is Ruddy betterGrant Holt past it ??!

Seems like a lot of trolls and binners joining this forum recently to wind people up.Stay calm , ignore, carry on

I think what makes Ruddy better is his sheer physical size and presence. Bunn has been outstanding for us but the the opposition do sense a weakness under the high ball. It is no coincidence that a lot of teams crowd him in the penalty area. Something which doesn''t happen when Ruddy is in goal.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]LOL why is Ruddy betterGrant Holt past it ??!

Seems like a lot of trolls and binners joining this forum recently to wind people up.Stay calm , ignore, carry on[/quote]

It''s a pretty straight forward question ? Don'' t know about you but I''ve got better things to do than try and wind people up.

This isn''t really the point of this thread, it doesn''t matter who is better, my question was whether Bunn could do better than just warming our bench next season?

Bunn is my POTS, has performed very well when called upon, and proved a lot of people wrong.

He isn''t too good to be a number 2, because at premiership level you need two quality keepers, and we have that with Ruddy and Bunn...

Need them both. I''ve been talking with Lincoln Canary, and we both reckon that we''ll have a couple of cup runs next season, so we''ll be playing plenty of extra games. And of course, there''s a good chance of Europa league the season after; all those Thursday nights.....Well he said he was Lincoln Canary.

There are 20 clubs in the prem, I cannot see bunn making a move to another. There are internationals who are number two''s and they are there so if the number 1 is out the transition is easier.

I think we have a great group of keepers and I cannot see the senior guys wanting to move.

Rudd may move with a nice sell o clause, but again keepers don''t really go for big bucks, when they are so so valuable to a team

I wouldn''t argue that we need two good keepers but can we keep them both happy?

Bunn is also my vote for POTS, he has been reliable, consistent and at times had made me forget we are with Ruddy. Ruddy is a great keeper but ever at times last season, fans were still questioning why we didn''t sigh FF.

Ruddy for my book is the joint second best keeper in the league so its a no brainer he''s number 1. He would walk into the side at two of the top 4 thats Man Utd and Arsenal in my opinion. If he played for either of those teams he would probably have played for England more to date.

Probably the most valuable player we have in terms of a fee we could demand. I think 15 million is about the price it would cost to get him.

[quote user="Hannibal II"]Ruddy for my book is the joint second best keeper in the league so its a no brainer he''s number 1. He would walk into the side at two of the top 4 thats Man Utd and Arsenal in my opinion. If he played for either of those teams he would probably have played for England more to date.

Probably the most valuable player we have in terms of a fee we could demand. I think 15 million is about the price it would cost to get him.[/quote]

15 million hahaha

Yep. Maybe on the Playstation.

Terrific keeper, valuable asset but 15m?

I wouldn''t argue that we need two good keepers but can we keep them both happy?

Bunn is also my vote for POTS, he has been reliable, consistent and at times had made me forget we are with Ruddy. Ruddy is a great keeper but ever at times last season, fans were still questioning why we didn''t sigh FF.
There are fine, Premiership standard keepers even in the Championship, while demand for keepers is limited. So even if Bunn would be unhappy to be no.2 here, what would be his options? Realistically, to be a no1 in the Championship side, or a no2 for another Prem club. That said, I do rate him, like many others on this forum, as after a few unconvincing games, he showed real talent. I''d keep them both, and while Ruddy would be my first choice, but depending on form, I would not mind if CH gave him Prem games as well in the next season besides the cup ties.

Manchester United raised the bar with respect to ''keeper fees when they paid getting on for £18m for DeGea. Previously, Sunderland had paid towards £10m for Craig Gordon.

Bearing these two transactions in mind we need not under-estimate Ruddy''s value in the market, should interest come from one of the big boys. 

[quote user="SYG"]Bunn is my POTS, has performed very well when called upon, and proved a lot of people wrong. He isn''t too good to be a number 2, because at premiership level you need two quality keepers, and we have that with Ruddy and Bunn...[/quote]

Obviously you''re entitled to your opinion but voting Bunn for POTS is a waste of a vote that is deserved more by any of Bassong, Turner, Johnson or Snodgrass.

Players who have more or less been there all season and more than done their bit. Bunn has only played 20 league games and while he''s generally done well he hasn''t always been fantastic. Not enough to be POTS.

I think he is too good to be a second. He is an excellent keeper - little surprise that we paid something like £1k for him. He was a little "wobbly" at first, but then so was Ruddy!

Could he oust Ruddy - possibly, if JR does not get his sharpness back quickly? I wouldn''t be surprised if Bunn plays against Reading.

If Ruddy does get back to his best form, probably next season, then he would have a slight advantage - his size, which enables him to collect high balls under threat, which could be a major challenge to the more lightly built Bunn

Man Utd paid 18 million for De Gea, Spurs paid 17 Million for Lloris. Ruddy is an international Keeper at the very least on par with these. There is an obvious drop in our performance from when Ruddy got injured and our slide down the league.