Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

Arsenal v Wigan

It will be interesting to see when the above vitally important game for both ends of the table is rescheduled for (the Cup final weekend).  I''m hoping it''s before the final mid-week so after the WBA game all teams have played 37 games.

This does tend to be the point of the season during which Wigan go into overdrive and power their way to safety. However even when you take that into account, their next 4 fixtures are difficult and crucially 3 of them are away. They are: Man City (a), West Ham (a), Spurs (h) and West Brom (a).

They may have 2 games in hand but we have points on the board. I would still rather be in our position than Wigan''s. I rate our chances of survival at around 70% or so for that reason.

[quote user="Cambridge Yellow"]This does tend to be the point of the season during which Wigan go into overdrive and power their way to safety. However even when you take that into account, their next 4 fixtures are difficult and crucially 3 of them are away. They are: Man City (a), West Ham (a), Spurs (h) and West Brom (a). They may have 2 games in hand but we have points on the board. I would still rather be in our position than Wigan''s. I rate our chances of survival at around 70% or so for that reason.[/quote]

Also, Wigan don''t normally have an FA Cup final in the back of their minds distracting them from their survival push. Wigan need 9 points and as you say their remaining fixtures aren''t the easiest - they probably need another 7 - 9 points, meaning a couple of wins at least, Aston Villa at home and West Ham away probably their best bets.

Much rather be in Norwich position of needing 4 - 5 points from Reading, Stoke, West Brom and Villa.

Lets hope that if there is actually any danger of Wigan winning this game that the officials step in and ensure a home win like they did on Saturday. :)