Sign in to follow this  
Nicko

Did anyone else notice...

how unstuck we became when Johnson came off injured? Despite the poor decisions, there seemed to be alot more room for Arsenal when Fox was on the pitch.

I thought on paper, Hughtons tactics were great. Fox should have been excellent at keeping the ball but he was woeful and gave it away needlessly.

Just showed how much we missed the steel of Johnson in the middle I think.

Totally agree.And all the people who have been whining on for months about how it was some criminal act that Fox wasn''t in the team, seem to have gone mysteriously quiet.Apparently Fox was the answer to all our "problems".Bradley has had an amazing season, and makes our engine room as good as it is.

Fox hasn''t played all season, talk about throwing him in at the deep end. He has 0 match fitness, what does Hughton expect if he doesnt play him all season.I think that is the big difference from last year, the lack of squad use.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]Fox hasn''t played all season, talk about throwing him in at the deep end. He has 0 match fitness, what does Hughton expect if he doesnt play him all season.I think that is the big difference from last year, the lack of squad use. [/quote]Do you actually know anything about football?So Fox was sat about, totally unfit, and unready to take his chance?Yeah, that makes complete sense.

Are you kidding me... clearly you know nothing. There is a huge difference between being fit and match fit. Not only that he hasn''t taken to the pitch all season for me unacceptable for such a key player last season.Your statement clears up a lot, i wonder how many of 14 thousand post are complete and utter pish like your last one. Keyboard warrior?

Yes. Agree with that. Although an argument can be made that he has not had much time on the pitch this season (a fact that Hughton himself mentioned), he didn''t really do much to justify selection, and hasn''t done all season. Whereas Chris Martin''s lackluster performances, when he has been given a run-out, have been widely and justifiably criticised, Fox''s have not.

Don''t get me wrong, I like Fox. However, what he did last season and the season before are irrelevant. Same with everybody... and everything in general. Yes, they achieved an excellent 12th place and good team doesn''t just turn bad. But, as with most things, its all about now, now, now. Fox is one of the old guard that has not delivered.

On another subject, I have been increasingly impressed with Howson, of late. Saturday was his best game, so far.

Being the creative part of the midfield - but with a bit more solidity than Hoolahan - with Tettey and Johnson suits him, I think.

Tettey obviously brings drive and power to the party. We have missed him.

The problem is, the midfield is mismatched. Whilst I think having a midfield that includes Howson, Johnson and Tettey could be the way forward for the rest of the season, where do you put the wonderful Wesley Hoolahan?

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]Are you kidding me... clearly you know nothing. There is a huge difference between being fit and match fit. Not only that he hasn''t taken to the pitch all season for me unacceptable for such a key player last season.Your statement clears up a lot, i wonder how many of 14 thousand post are complete and utter pish like your last one. Keyboard warrior?[/quote]Ask yourself why he hasn''t been getting in the team.Oh dear, I''m afraid you''re the one behaving like a keyboard warrior here. If you can''t back up your opinion with sound reason and logic its not my problem mate, its yours.

To be fair Fox has not really been playing and will require time to come up to match fitness.

That said I am not a Fox lover as others on this board, I don''t see his range of passing being any better than Tettey or Johnson and they give you so much more than Fox can.

We missed Johnson when he cam off, the game changed after that.

Thought Howson played well to be fair to him too.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]Are you kidding me... clearly you know nothing. There is a huge difference between being fit and match fit. Not only that he hasn''t taken to the pitch all season for me unacceptable for such a key player last season.Your statement clears up a lot, i wonder how many of 14 thousand post are complete and utter pish like your last one. Keyboard warrior?[/quote]Ask yourself why he hasn''t been getting in the team.Oh dear, I''m afraid you''re the one behaving like a keyboard warrior here. If you can''t back up your opinion with sound reason and logic its not my problem mate, its yours.[/quote]He hasn''t been getting into the team because he doesn''t fit in to Hughton''s style of play. Fox is excellent at keeping possession and distribution of the football, he was the heart beat of our team last year.Again my point being is there is a massive difference to being fit and having match fitness. You ask any footballer and minutes on the pitch are the most important thing when it comes to consistency and form something Fox has not had this season.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"][quote user="morty"][quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]Are you kidding me... clearly you know nothing. There is a huge difference between being fit and match fit. Not only that he hasn''t taken to the pitch all season for me unacceptable for such a key player last season.Your statement clears up a lot, i wonder how many of 14 thousand post are complete and utter pish like your last one. Keyboard warrior?[/quote]Ask yourself why he hasn''t been getting in the team.Oh dear, I''m afraid you''re the one behaving like a keyboard warrior here. If you can''t back up your opinion with sound reason and logic its not my problem mate, its yours.[/quote]He hasn''t been getting into the team because he doesn''t fit in to Hughton''s style of play. Fox is excellent at keeping possession and distribution of the football, he was the heart beat of our team last year.Again my point being is there is a massive difference to being fit and having match fitness. You ask any footballer and minutes on the pitch are the most important thing when it comes to consistency and form something Fox has not had this season.

[/quote]No.In YOUR opinion, based on LAST SEASONS performances he is excellent.See the difference?

[quote user="Militant Canary"]Yes. Agree with that. Although an argument can be made that he has not had much time on the pitch this season (a fact that Hughton himself mentioned), he didn''t really do much to justify selection, and hasn''t done all season. Whereas Chris Martin''s lackluster performances, when he has been given a run-out, have been widely and justifiably criticised, Fox''s have not.

Don''t get me wrong, I like Fox. However, what he did last season and the season before are irrelevant. Same with everybody... and everything in general. Yes, they achieved an excellent 12th place and good team doesn''t just turn bad. But, as with most things, its all about now, now, now. Fox is one of the old guard that has not delivered.

On another subject, I have been increasingly impressed with Howson, of late. Saturday was his best game, so far.

Being the creative part of the midfield - but with a bit more solidity than Hoolahan - with Tettey and Johnson suits him, I think.

Tettey obviously brings drive and power to the party. We have missed him.

The problem is, the midfield is mismatched. Whilst I think having a midfield that includes Howson, Johnson and Tettey could be the way forward for the rest of the season, where do you put the wonderful Wesley Hoolahan?[/quote]
On the bench as an impact substitute. Having an influential player ready to come on if things are not going to plan is how games can be turned round.
Its called plan B. Unfortunately Hughton has not reached that chapter in his book on tactics yet.

Not sure how serious Johnson''s injury is but if he''s a a doubt for Saturday it might just force Hughtons''s hand into going 442 with 2 wingers and going at Reading.

Snodgrass  Howson  Tettey  Pilkington

Holt  Kamara

we''re going to need 2 wingers but we''re also going to need someone (Howson) to get the ball to them.....this isn''t a game for both Johnson and Tettey in the team, we need to attack.

"Hughton has not reached that chapter in his book on tactics yet."

He''s not Paul Lambert. Get over it. He''s probably better than him... he is certainly different.

Lambert is the sort of manager who chops and changes willy-nilly. Whilst that is sometimes admirable, it is rare for a manager to do this and it is not infrequently thick. Most of the time, he was doing that to correct his own mistakes and the tactics employed certainly were not subtle.

Have you ever heard of nuance? There''s more nuance in football tactics than is generally given credit. Hughton understands this and is a master of it - ask Newcastle fans. Just wait till next season, you''ll see. We''ll be a strong premier league team, with steady and stable improvement throughout.

What I don''t understand is, you answer my question - probably giving the same answer that Hughton himself has reached - but have to go further and slag off the manager. Why? Get behind the team, or kindly sod off.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Not sure how serious Johnson''s injury is but if he''s a a doubt for Saturday it might just force Hughtons''s hand into going 442 with 2 wingers and going at Reading.

Snodgrass  Howson  Tettey  Pilkington

Holt  Kamara

we''re going to need 2 wingers but we''re also going to need someone (Howson) to get the ball to them.....this isn''t a game for both Johnson and Tettey in the team, we need to attack.

[/quote]It was just a dead leg, I''m pretty sure he''ll be available.

NO Morty I am not even talking about if Fox is good or not, I am not talking about last season!! Please grasp and understand if you can that Fox hasn''t even played for us this season, so blaming him for the reason we lost the game on Saturday is lunacy. Hughton cant expect to get the best out of someone who hasn''t played all season. The use of the squad this season has been atrocious.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]NO Morty I am not even talking about if Fox is good or not, I am not talking about last season!! Please grasp and understand if you can that Fox hasn''t even played for us this season, so blaming him for the reason we lost the game on Saturday is lunacy. Hughton cant expect to get the best out of someone who hasn''t played all season. The use of the squad this season has been atrocious. [/quote]Who blamed Fox for us losing on Saturday?Have a wee think why Hughton hasn''t rotated the squad. Hopefully you will arrive at the conclusion that some players aren''t good enough for the Premiership.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]NO Morty I am not even talking about if Fox is good or not, I am not talking about last season!! Please grasp and understand if you can that Fox hasn''t even played for us this season, so blaming him for the reason we lost the game on Saturday is lunacy. Hughton cant expect to get the best out of someone who hasn''t played all season. The use of the squad this season has been atrocious. [/quote]

Would you throw someone on who you didn''t think was up to it/didn''t feel added anything to the mix/had in no way justified selection?

If he had thrown on Chris Martin, would you have been saying this?

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]ps what is the point in having an engine room if we don''t keep the ball and create... [/quote]Lol, have you ever rung into Canary call?

Sadly Johnson has more than a dead lead, he was missing half of his knee - should hopefully be fit for Saturday though

[quote user="morty"][quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]NO Morty I am not even talking about if Fox is good or not, I am not talking about last season!! Please grasp and understand if you can that Fox hasn''t even played for us this season, so blaming him for the reason we lost the game on Saturday is lunacy. Hughton cant expect to get the best out of someone who hasn''t played all season. The use of the squad this season has been atrocious. [/quote]Who blamed Fox for us losing on Saturday?Have a wee think why Hughton hasn''t rotated the squad. Hopefully you will arrive at the conclusion that some players aren''t good enough for the Premiership.

[/quote]OMG you really talk nonsense... So he was good enough for the Prem last year? He finished 3rd in player of the season!! JESUS! He hasn''t rotated the squad because he is inept at changing formation and utilising his players. He is one dimensional and Fox doesn''t fit into his style of football. If you dont play your players in games they wont be match fit. You agreed with original poster therefore blaming Fox for the outcome of the score!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]ps what is the point in having an engine room if we don''t keep the ball and create... [/quote]Lol, have you ever rung into Canary call?[/quote]No and neither do I have 14 thousand post on the Pinkun!!

Hang on, I haven''t blamed Fox for the outcome of the score. I just said there was more room for Arsenal to play once Johnson came off, which there undoubtedly was.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"][quote user="morty"][quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]NO Morty I am not even talking about if Fox is good or not, I am not talking about last season!! Please grasp and understand if you can that Fox hasn''t even played for us this season, so blaming him for the reason we lost the game on Saturday is lunacy. Hughton cant expect to get the best out of someone who hasn''t played all season. The use of the squad this season has been atrocious. [/quote]Who blamed Fox for us losing on Saturday?Have a wee think why Hughton hasn''t rotated the squad. Hopefully you will arrive at the conclusion that some players aren''t good enough for the Premiership.

[/quote]OMG you really talk nonsense... So he was good enough for the Prem last year? He finished 3rd in player of the season!! JESUS! He hasn''t rotated the squad because he is inept at changing formation and utilising his players. He is one dimensional and Fox doesn''t fit into his style of football. If you dont play your players in games they wont be match fit. You agreed with original poster therefore blaming Fox for the outcome of the score! [/quote]Ah, player of the season, where FANS choose their favourite player. Based on their extensive football knowledge.Read back, I agreed we looked worse when Brad came off, I don''t think I blamed Fox for us losing the game.So Hughton is one dimensional and inept? I must have missed your tenure as a Premiership manager[;)]

The midfield unbalanced, we lost that hard tackler to our midfield. Fox is a deep lying play maker receiving the ball from the back four and then passing it out and around the team.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"][quote user="morty"][quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]ps what is the point in having an engine room if we don''t keep the ball and create... [/quote]Lol, have you ever rung into Canary call?[/quote]No and neither do I have 14 thousand post on the Pinkun!! [/quote]Maybe you have nothing interesting to say, have you considered that?

[quote user="Nicko"]Hang on, I haven''t blamed Fox for the outcome of the score. I just said there was more room for Arsenal to play once Johnson came off, which there undoubtedly was.[/quote]Exactly.....

[quote user="morty"][quote user="NCFC4LIFE"][quote user="morty"][quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]ps what is the point in having an engine room if we don''t keep the ball and create... [/quote]Lol, have you ever rung into Canary call?[/quote]No and neither do I have 14 thousand post on the Pinkun!! [/quote]Maybe you have nothing interesting to say, have you considered that?[/quote]I have plenty of interesting things to say, I just have a life outside of the Pinkun forum, you know real friends and a social life... I enjoy discussing football with people that understand it and talk common sense rather than blaming outcomes of football matches on players that haven''t played all season.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"][quote user="morty"][quote user="NCFC4LIFE"][quote user="morty"][quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]ps what is the point in having an engine room if we don''t keep the ball and create... [/quote]Lol, have you ever rung into Canary call?[/quote]No and neither do I have 14 thousand post on the Pinkun!! [/quote]Maybe you have nothing interesting to say, have you considered that?[/quote]I have plenty of interesting things to say, I just have a life outside of the Pinkun forum, you know real friends and a social life... I enjoy discussing football with people that understand it and talk common sense rather than blaming outcomes of football matches on players that haven''t played all season. [/quote]Wow, I didn''t think anyone was so stupid as to try and imply that internet usage is inversely proportional to having a life.What with this internet thing actually being used by practically everyone on the planet, and not just by geeky teenage boys.Well debated, pat yourself on the back.Oh and feel free to point out where I blamed Fox for us losing on Saturday.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"][quote user="morty"][quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]NO Morty I am not even talking about if Fox is good or not, I am not talking about last season!! Please grasp and understand if you can that Fox hasn''t even played for us this season, so blaming him for the reason we lost the game on Saturday is lunacy. Hughton cant expect to get the best out of someone who hasn''t played all season. The use of the squad this season has been atrocious. [/quote]Who blamed Fox for us losing on Saturday?Have a wee think why Hughton hasn''t rotated the squad. Hopefully you will arrive at the conclusion that some players aren''t good enough for the Premiership.

[/quote]OMG you really talk nonsense... So he was good enough for the Prem last year? He finished 3rd in player of the season!! JESUS! He hasn''t rotated the squad because he is inept at changing formation and utilising his players. He is one dimensional and Fox doesn''t fit into his style of football. If you dont play your players in games they wont be match fit. You agreed with original poster therefore blaming Fox for the outcome of the score! [/quote]

Yet again, the history of last season is rewritten. I don''t have full details at work but Fox was replaced by Howson once he was fit and Howson was first choice for the last quarter if the season. Even Lambert didn''t think Fox was the best he had by the end of last season.

I like Fox not because of what he does particularly but because the team always seemed to play better when he was there. This season he was excellent at Peterborough and poor against Luton.

As for squad rotation being atrocious, that''s just ridiculous. His season has confirmed what we knew last May namely that many of last season''s squad are not good enough in the long term. What is it about Jackson, Barnett, C Martin, Tierney or sad to say Fox in their admittedly sparse appearances this season that justifies their gtreater involvement? I wish it were not so but it is the case that they are not players with long term Premier. League careers.