Sign in to follow this  
BarclayWazza

Video replays

Still can''t understand why in one of the richest sports around we cannot have video replays giving assistance on contentious decisions. Why not give each team 3 video replays a game like the players get in tennis, if the decision is reversed they don''t lose one, if not they do.

We''ve lost 5 points to frankly terrible decisions which completely changed 2 recent games. Arguments like "well it evens itself out over a season" and "what would we have to talk about in the pub after the game" are lazy and wrong. We''ve had so much go against us this year and the truth is these things don''t even out.

While appreciating that there have been other factors which have put us in the position we''re in, there''s just too much at stake in today''s game to leave it solely in the hands of someone as incompetent or corrupt depending on your point of view as the muppet running the line today.

It is ridiculous really, no other sport is so corruptly laid out, these problems can be fixed so easily. Nothing makes any sense as to why something hasn''t been done

I counted the lost points earlier today,

Spurs away - Morison having his shirt pulled and Adebayor blatantly shoving in the box for a header

+ 2 points

QPR at home - Zamora was in the box when the penalty was taken

+ 2 points

West Ham away - Bullsh*t penalty given when you consider what happens in the box. Then Kane gets taken down in the box and nothing given

+ 1 or 3 point(s)

Man City at home - the whole game was complete sh*te, Kompany two-footed to win the ball leading to the first goal, and another goal was.. offside? something like that

+ 1 or 3 point(s)

Aston Villa away - Should have 100% had a defender sent off after studding Hoolahan badly, ref played advantage as Holt was through on goal, but nothing given after, it was as clear a yellow card possible

+ 2 points - we were absolutely dominating them after they had 1 sent off

Southampton away - Lambert handball before scoring

Then there was Sunderland away and now this

+ 5 points

How many games were in our favour, QPR away and Swansea away ? Can''t think of any others, think the Joey Barton headbutt was harsh really, just like the West Ham away pen decision.

- 1 or 4 point(s)

I may be being bias here but if this had been done in more detail throughout the course of the season I am positive we would still be some distance behind ''evened out''

so that''s potentially between 9 and 15 points more if the correct decisions had been made

its just a joke really that up to about 40% of our correct points tally has been lost through poor officiating, I''m sure it must be at least 15% which is still ridiculous

I mentioned this on another post and you show it well here - these decisions going against us are not just little niggly things here and there, it''s things which result in goals against or penalties we aren''t given.

I don''t remember one dodgy decision we''ve benefitted from which has swung a game our way all season.

Ok, i understand that we have had some bad decisions against us this season-but please also include the bad decisions that went in our faour.

Great post Wing Wand Otter. I was looking through all our games this season and the amount of points we have dropped from stupid decisions is sickening. I would normally let it slide and ignore but it has happened in half a dozen games or more against us!Even in the Luton game despite how shi''t we were, it showed on ITV that we had a goal that crossed the line.Loooking the other way (in terms of stupid decsions we got given FOR us), I''ve have up with:-> Snodgrass'' free kick vs stoke that lead to BJ''s goal was arguably soft> The disallowed swansea goal that would have made it 3-3 that Michu "fouled" Bunn for> Na$ri getting sent off for his campy slap at Bassong (mind you Kompany had a 2-footed tackle on BJ allowed)> The penalty got vs Southampton that Holt missed. Never a penalty IMO, Holt divedAnd them first 3 I think are just me being harsh.Maybe it''s just not our season. [:(]

Yes the penalty against Southampton should not have been given but that was scrubbed out by the fact we should have had a penalty in the 1st half!

Yesterday Arsenal had a guy fouled in the Norwich box not long after we scored which looked to me like a stone wall penalty but was not given!

Would break up the flow of the play and ruin the game. Any technology in football has to have no impact on the flow of the game. Hence why the only goal line technology viable involves the referees watch being alerted instantly if a goals scored.

But why? I mean I get that if something happens in play it may take a minute or so for a break in play to review the decision (this can be done between the manager and 4th official as play is going on then the ref bringing it back if necessary) but in the instance of the corner yesterday you can probably within 30 seconds get a decent replay and decision.

[quote user="kingsway"]

Yes the penalty against Southampton should not have been given but that was scrubbed out by the fact we should have had a penalty in the 1st half!

Yesterday Arsenal had a guy fouled in the Norwich box not long after we scored which looked to me like a stone wall penalty but was not given!

[/quote]Plus best not to mention the fowl by Kamara on his own foot, resulting in the free kick for our goal.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="kingsway"]

[/quote]

Plus best not to mention the fowl by Kamara on his own foot, resulting in the free kick for our goal.

[/quote]

You are clearly a bit of a chicken if you think that. Gibbs clearly clipped Kamara. A slight touch that takes down someone running at speed but you would have to know or played the game to recognise it.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="kingsway"]

[/quote]Plus best not to mention the fowl by Kamara on his own foot, resulting in the free kick for our goal.[/quote]

You are clearly a bit of a chicken if you think that. Gibbs clearly clipped Kamara. A slight touch that takes down someone running at speed but you would have to know or played the game to recognise it.

[/quote]Bit harsh? You don''t know how much I have or haven''t played. No need to make it personal just because I have the audacity to disagree with your opinion.I think he went down easy. For me, there is slight contact (not illegal in the game of football), he takes an extra step, clips his heals together as if he wants to get back to Kansas ("there''s no place like home") and goes down. I''m not knocking him for it. It''s the way of the game these days, and happens 20 times a weekend. This opinion may differ to that of yours regardless of how much football either one of us has played.Regardless of that, my point is this; How far do you take video decisions back? In reference to the penalty decision on the weekend, take this hypothetical. Let''s say we had Video Review for penalty decisions only on Saturday, the Kamara penalty was reviewed, and the decision stood. Would people then be calling an injustice because it should never have been a corner? Should we then have video reviews for decisions when the ball goes out of play and the ref isn''t 100% who touched it last? How far do we start taking it back.There is always going to be a line as to how far to use Video Review and how far not. No matter where you put that line, you will never take refereeing decisions out of the game, especially in a game like football when so many decisions are subjective judgement calls anyway. Thats why, for me, it''s better to not open the can of worms that is Video Review. I think goal line technology will work for "if a goal has crossed the line or not". This isn''t subjective though. It''s clear cut, which is why it is a good use of technology.That''s my opinion. You may agree, or not agree. I''m cool either way.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="kingsway"]

[/quote]

Plus best not to mention the fowl by Kamara on his own foot, resulting in the free kick for our goal.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bit harsh? You don''t know how much I have or haven''t played. No need to make it personal just because I have the audacity to disagree with your opinion.

I think he went down easy. For me, there is slight contact (not illegal in the game of football), he takes an extra step, clips his heals together as if he wants to get back to Kansas ("there''s no place like home") and goes down. I''m not knocking him for it. It''s the way of the game these days, and happens 20 times a weekend. This opinion may differ to that of yours regardless of how much football either one of us has played.

Regardless of that, my point is this; How far do you take video decisions back? In reference to the penalty decision on the weekend, take this hypothetical. Let''s say we had Video Review for penalty decisions only on Saturday, the Kamara penalty was reviewed, and the decision stood. Would people then be calling an injustice because it should never have been a corner? Should we then have video reviews for decisions when the ball goes out of play and the ref isn''t 100% who touched it last? How far do we start taking it back.

There is always going to be a line as to how far to use Video Review and how far not. No matter where you put that line, you will never take refereeing decisions out of the game, especially in a game like football when so many decisions are subjective judgement calls anyway. Thats why, for me, it''s better to not open the can of worms that is Video Review.

I think goal line technology will work for "if a goal has crossed the line or not". This isn''t subjective though. It''s clear cut, which is why it is a good use of technology.

That''s my opinion. You may agree, or not agree. I''m cool either way.
[/quote]

I am sorry but it is my belief that anyone who had played the game to any extent would have recognised the incident for what it was and would, in all probability, have experienced something similar. I have found myself on both sides of situations like this and, whilst the coming together of legs is usually accidentally, it is difficult to prove as such and invariably results in a free kick being given, sometimes accompanied by a yellow card which, in normal circumstances, I would regard as harsh. It often looks like the player clipped, because one of his legs is thrown out of kilter, has deliberately tripped himself but this is not the case.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="kingsway"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bit harsh? You don''t know how much I have or haven''t played. No need to make it personal just because I have the audacity to disagree with your opinion.

I think he went down easy. For me, there is slight contact (not illegal in the game of football), he takes an extra step, clips his heals together as if he wants to get back to Kansas ("there''s no place like home") and goes down. I''m not knocking him for it. It''s the way of the game these days, and happens 20 times a weekend. This opinion may differ to that of yours regardless of how much football either one of us has played.

Regardless of that, my point is this; How far do you take video decisions back? In reference to the penalty decision on the weekend, take this hypothetical. Let''s say we had Video Review for penalty decisions only on Saturday, the Kamara penalty was reviewed, and the decision stood. Would people then be calling an injustice because it should never have been a corner? Should we then have video reviews for decisions when the ball goes out of play and the ref isn''t 100% who touched it last? How far do we start taking it back.

There is always going to be a line as to how far to use Video Review and how far not. No matter where you put that line, you will never take refereeing decisions out of the game, especially in a game like football when so many decisions are subjective judgement calls anyway. Thats why, for me, it''s better to not open the can of worms that is Video Review.

I think goal line technology will work for "if a goal has crossed the line or not". This isn''t subjective though. It''s clear cut, which is why it is a good use of technology.

That''s my opinion. You may agree, or not agree. I''m cool either way.
[/quote]

But is it and can it ever be 100% accurate? There is talk in cricket of a certain percentage deficiency in the accuracy of hawkeye. I would suggest one of the major problems is that referees live in fear of receiving pastings from certain high-profile managers and the resulting damage it can do to their careers.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="kingsway"]

[/quote]Plus best not to mention the fowl by Kamara on his own foot, resulting in the free kick for our goal.[/quote]

[/quote]Bit harsh? You don''t know how much I have or haven''t played. No need to make it personal just because I have the audacity to disagree with your opinion.I think he went down easy. For me, there is slight contact (not illegal in the game of football), he takes an extra step, clips his heals together as if he wants to get back to Kansas ("there''s no place like home") and goes down. I''m not knocking him for it. It''s the way of the game these days, and happens 20 times a weekend. This opinion may differ to that of yours regardless of how much football either one of us has played.Regardless of that, my point is this; How far do you take video decisions back? In reference to the penalty decision on the weekend, take this hypothetical. Let''s say we had Video Review for penalty decisions only on Saturday, the Kamara penalty was reviewed, and the decision stood. Would people then be calling an injustice because it should never have been a corner? Should we then have video reviews for decisions when the ball goes out of play and the ref isn''t 100% who touched it last? How far do we start taking it back.There is always going to be a line as to how far to use Video Review and how far not. No matter where you put that line, you will never take refereeing decisions out of the game, especially in a game like football when so many decisions are subjective judgement calls anyway. Thats why, for me, it''s better to not open the can of worms that is Video Review. I think goal line technology will work for "if a goal has crossed the line or not". This isn''t subjective though. It''s clear cut, which is why it is a good use of technology.That''s my opinion. You may agree, or not agree. I''m cool either way.[/quote]

I am sorry but it is my belief that anyone who had played the game to any extent would have recognised the incident for what it was and would, in all probability, have experienced something similar. I have found myself on both sides of situations like this and, whilst the coming together of legs is usually accidentally, it is difficult to prove as such and invariably results in a free kick being given, sometimes accompanied by a yellow card which, in normal circumstances, I would regard as harsh. It often looks like the player clipped, because one of his legs is thrown out of kilter, has deliberately tripped himself but this is not the case.

[/quote]For the record, I''ve just downloaded and listened to 2 podcasts, The Guardian, and The Football Ramble. Both of which raised the same point I did in regards to our free kick. And, like me, most of not all of the people on those podcasts (like myself) have played the game "to any extent".

Zamora in the box...He was pratically holding hands!

West Ham... Joke of a Pen

Both Twattenberk !

Man City agree, Kompany was sent off a couple of weeks later for the same tackle i think

Villa Play on is a good example of why it is such a carp ruling. If it is a foul with contact, blow. A player knocked off his stride rairly has an advantage. Webb is the worst at doing this and it is too open to a pratts interpatation.

Barton Headbutt, the fact he tried pick a fight with the 2-3 tackles in the 10 seconds before was enough for 2 yellows and anyway, you cant poke your head forward like that. (For those of us there, we had a better angle than the TV cameras and it wasnt clever)