Sign in to follow this  
unique

Wrong time to be playing Reading

From Reading''s point of view, it might be the wrong time to be playing us - a team thoroughly p*ssed off after being robbed at the Emirates, who need a win, and who have a very solid home record.At least, if we were Reading then this is what I''d expect to read on our messageboard, coupled with 100 threads re: "we won''t get anything from Carrow Road!!!", "We''re Doomed!" etc etc.

I don''t think there is any logical reason to suggest this is a "bad" time to be playing Reading. They had lost 8 on the trot before yesterday. The only reason they have avoided being stuffed out of sight yesterday was because of the best one off goalkeeping displays I have ever seen.

For all our flaws this season we''ve only lost 3 times at home. The team which played at the Emirates (with hopefully Pilks and Hoolahan in reserve) is good enough to beat Reading at home and should do.

i am glad that we are playing Reading now, and not two/three games time.

People are also forgetting, that this match will have a lot of pressure on for Reading as well, they are still mathematically able to stay up, and that will create hopefully, an unhealthy amount of pressure, particularly if we score first.

As opposed to playing Reading in two or three games time, when they''re officially relegated and playing freedom football.

I''m extremely confident of getting the required win, but do accept in sport nothing is guaranteed.

We will go into the match unbeaten at home (apart from top6 sides). Against the worst away side in the division.

Absolutely. Reading must win, a draw isn''t any good, even to just stay mathematically in with a chance for a bit longer. So they won''t come to defend. If you had to pick one fixture you''d want after the Arsenal Disgrace you''d choose this. And probably the next 3 as well. So if we get relegated after this, it is very hard to say that we don''t deserve it.

[quote user="Baracouda"]i am glad that we are playing Reading now, and not two/three games time.

People are also forgetting, that this match will have a lot of pressure on for Reading as well, they are still mathematically able to stay up, and that will create hopefully, an unhealthy amount of pressure, particularly if we score first.

As opposed to playing Reading in two or three games time, when they''re officially relegated and playing freedom football.

I''m extremely confident of getting the required win, but do accept in sport nothing is guaranteed.

We will go into the match unbeaten at home (apart from top6 sides). Against the worst away side in the division.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.  Reading aren''t dead yet (quite), have to go for the win, and have been playing dreadfully.  It''s when a team is conclusively relegated a game or two before that sometimes you get some good performances.

First goal is vital though - if we score reasonably early they could crumble, but if we haven''t scored by half time they''ll start to perk up.

We should beat them. There''s no question in my mind that we are capable of beating them.

However, on the flip side of the coin as always is that at the end of the day we''re Norwich. We''re relatively good at monumental fuck ups at inappropriate times.

Many of the monumental *** ups you refer to from previous relegations: penalties against (that one at Leeds), injured goalie (Gunn), poor post Christmas run (as in 95) and a thrashing at Fulham, they all seem to be manifesting themselves in one season. Lets hope the home defeat by a team with (in this case virtually) nothing to play as with that Leicester game, nor the sudden late run by a team with games in game (Coventry 85, Wigan this time) do not occur also............!

As someone who, as my name suggests, lives in Reading. I can tell you most fans see this game as being one in which they could really spoil the party for Norwich. Although 99% of them know they are doomed, they still think it''d be great to bring down another club with them.That being said, all the fans I talk to have nothing but respect for us. The way the club is run, how we are managing to stay in the league and the away support we brought to the Madejski.It seems Nigel Adkins is playing a different style of football to McDermott, with an emphasis on "passing the ball". He also seems to like playing Le Fondre from the start rather than using him as an impact player. (Something which I think could work in our favour)From the Reading games I''ve seen, to win, we simply need to get in their faces and score 1-2 in the first half. Although they have staged some mighty come-backs (such as West Brom) recently it does seem their heart goes in the second half if they are already a couple behind.I therefore think we need to set up in the most attacking way possible, keep crossing balls into the box and get Holt in and amongst them as soon as possibleWe also need to hope Alex Mccarthy has an off day. He can be truly brilliant on his day.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]As someone who, as my name suggests, lives in Reading. I can tell you most fans see this game as being one in which they could really spoil the party for Norwich. Although 99% of them know they are doomed, they still think it''d be great to bring down another club with them.That being said, all the fans I talk to have nothing but respect for us. The way the club is run, how we are managing to stay in the league and the away support we brought to the Madejski.It seems Nigel Adkins is playing a different style of football to McDermott, with an emphasis on "passing the ball". He also seems to like playing Le Fondre from the start rather than using him as an impact player. (Something which I think could work in our favour)From the Reading games I''ve seen, to win, we simply need to get in their faces and score 1-2 in the first half. Although they have staged some mighty come-backs (such as West Brom) recently it does seem their heart goes in the second half if they are already a couple behind.I therefore think we need to set up in the most attacking way possible, keep crossing balls into the box and get Holt in and amongst them as soon as possibleWe also need to hope Alex Mccarthy has an off day. He can be truly brilliant on his day.[/quote]

I think you''re right RC, we need to get at them and if we can get a goal or two first half,  they''ll probably crumble.  But if it is still 0-0 at 60 minutes, they''ll be feeling comfortable and we''d have a problem.

Do you think they still feel under any pressure to try to stay up or are they basically resigned to the fact that they have no chance?