Sign in to follow this  
unique

Wrong time to be playing Reading

Reading....a team relegated in all but name, who will be able to play with a certain freedom and carefree style now the pressure is off them.

McCarthy back in goal. A 6ft 5in goalkeeper, returning after five months out of the game, dealt expertly with Liverpool''s 15 attempts on target. If Norwich''s recent history of ''attempts on target'' is repeated, then getting anything past him will require a major effort.

Anything but a win will be a failure. Games are fast running out and the pressure is building. Draws and wins can no longer be taken for granted whether it is home or away, against Stoke, West Brom or Villa.

Every Norwich supporter will have had this game marked down as ''3 points'' since the start of the season. It''s starting to look like three points or bust......

[quote user="unique"]Reading....a team relegated in all but name, who will be able to play with a certain freedom and carefree style now the pressure is off them.

McCarthy back in goal. A 6ft 5in goalkeeper, returning after five months out of the game, dealt expertly with Liverpool''s 15 attempts on target.........[/quote]Substitute the name Ruddy and that could be us.Except I doubt he''d have 15 attempts on target to deal with.

The fact is we must win. Time is running out and Hughton''s tactics must be to attack and score more than we concede. Reading have some very good players so it will not be easy.

[quote user="unique"]Reading....a team relegated in all but name, who will be able to play with a certain freedom and carefree style now the pressure is off them.

McCarthy back in goal. A 6ft 5in goalkeeper, returning after five months out of the game, dealt expertly with Liverpool''s 15 attempts on target. If Norwich''s recent history of ''attempts on target'' is repeated, then getting anything past him will require a major effort.

Anything but a win will be a failure. Games are fast running out and the pressure is building. Draws and wins can no longer be taken for granted whether it is home or away, against Stoke, West Brom or Villa.

Every Norwich supporter will have had this game marked down as ''3 points'' since the start of the season. It''s starting to look like three points or bust......[/quote]Wrong time to be playing them????  A team with 1 draw and seven defeats in last eight games?  Wake up everybody - if we fail to get more than three points in total from our last 3 home games we absolutely deserve to go down.  If after, the debacle against Fulham first game we had been offered this position with 5 games to go I''d have snapped that offer up.  In a league where Newcatle only have Liverpool and Arsenal at home left we have been gifted/drawn a dream home fixture run-in.

If we don''t beat Reading we will have failed to win all 6 matches against the promoted teams (and both against QPR and Newcastle, one of the Wigan and Sunderland games as well as the match against Villa who thumped us at Carrow Road in the League Cup) you would have to start concluding that we aren''t good enough to stay up without an incredible struggle.

If you don''t beat the teams at the bottom you become a team at the bottom!

If we don''t beat Reading we don''t deserve to stay up.But I just checked the BBC results page, and we haven''t lost to them yet.So keep your pants dry until at least Saturday.

[quote user="whistleblower"][quote user="unique"]Reading....a team relegated in all but name, who will be able to play with a certain freedom and carefree style now the pressure is off them. McCarthy back in goal. A 6ft 5in goalkeeper, returning after five months out of the game, dealt expertly with Liverpool''s 15 attempts on target. If Norwich''s recent history of ''attempts on target'' is repeated, then getting anything past him will require a major effort. Anything but a win will be a failure. Games are fast running out and the pressure is building. Draws and wins can no longer be taken for granted whether it is home or away, against Stoke, West Brom or Villa. Every Norwich supporter will have had this game marked down as ''3 points'' since the start of the season. It''s starting to look like three points or bust......[/quote]

Wrong time to be playing them????  A team with 1 draw and seven defeats in last eight games? 

Wake up everybody - if we fail to get more than three points in total from our last 3 home games we absolutely deserve to go down.  If after, the debacle against Fulham first game we had been offered this position with 5 games to go I''d have snapped that offer up.  In a league where Newcatle only have Liverpool and Arsenal at home left we have been gifted/drawn a dream home fixture run-in.
[/quote]

They have a new manager just as Sunderland have , and have just drawn with Liverpool who thrashed us, so this has massive potential to be a ''banana skin''.  

wrong time to be playing Reading?!?............who the hell would you rather we be playing??????

all of Hughton''s negative tactics home and away, his sacrificing both cup competitions have all come to a head this weekend....Hughton couldnt have a better fixture to prove that its all been worth it this season to put us in a position to win this game at home to an all but relegated side to pretty much guarantee our safety.

Here''s Hughton''s big chance......blow this and he, Calderwood and Trollope can clear their desks as far as I''m concerned.

I cant think of another team in the division it would be better to be playing. I dont expect Reading to roll over belly up for us it''s going to be a tough game, but it''s a game where we have a very realistic chance of winning and what more could you ask for in a fixture in this division?

[quote user="paul moy"]The fact is we must win. Time is running out and Hughton''s tactics must be to attack and score more than we concede. Reading have some very good players so it will not be easy.[/quote]

Are you basing this on the fact we didnt attack non stop yesterday?

If the linesman hadnt decided he wanted Arsenal to win we''d have won.

The penalty was the turning point. You fool.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

wrong time to be playing Reading?!?............who the hell would you rather we be playing??????

all of Hughton''s negative tactics home and away, his sacrificing both cup competitions have all come to a head this weekend....Hughton couldnt have a better fixture to prove that its all been worth it this season to put us in a position to win this game at home to an all but relegated side to pretty much guarantee our safety.

Here''s Hughton''s big chance......blow this and he, Calderwood and Trollope can clear their desks as far as I''m concerned.

[/quote]

I hope it won''t come to that but his win record is a lot poorer than some managers that have been sacked. If he keeps us up he deserves another season, but otherwise not.

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="paul moy"]The fact is we must win. Time is running out and Hughton''s tactics must be to attack and score more than we concede. Reading have some very good players so it will not be easy.[/quote]

Are you basing this on the fact we didnt attack non stop yesterday?

If the linesman hadnt decided he wanted Arsenal to win we''d have won.

The penalty was the turning point. You fool.
[/quote]

I think you''re the fool. It was a penalty, however soft as other media commentators have stated, as Kamara was pulling the players shirt. I''m not judging Hughton on one game but the whole season which will be a failure if we are relegated.  On current form we will draw against Reading etc and that will not be good enough to keep us up.

How can there be a wrong time to play Reading?

They''re awful. If we don''t beat them, at home, we deserve to be embroiled in the relegation scrap

That is the same Liverpool team who have lost to Man Utd, whom we beat?

By your reckoning, every game could be a banana skin. I think you need to give up watching football, it must be ruining your health, let alone your familys.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

That is the same Liverpool team who have lost to Man Utd, whom we beat?

By your reckoning, every game could be a banana skin. I think you need to give up watching football, it must be ruining your health, let alone your familys.

[/quote]

So you don''t think holding Liverpool to 0-0 at home is good result ?  hmmmmm

If we had played them four weeks ago, McDermott would still be in charge, their best keeper would still be injured, and they would still be under the illusion that they could survive - so would be playing under more pressure.

If we had beaten them four weeks ago then we would not have been dragged into the relegation fight, and the pressure would have been well and truly off.

Fail to beat them this weekend and the pressure for the last four games will be immense, so as far as I''m concerned, it is the wrong time to be playing them.

Didn''t say that did I?

You referred to a match (Liverpool) that happened weeks and weeks ago, I used the same logic with Man Utd. It was to highlight, that you can pick any result out of 38 games to try and justify your point.

Reading''s result yesterday was a very good one, thanks to their keeper having ''The best  game I have ever seen from a keeper'' (Brendan Rodgers). It was ''one of those days'' that their keeper had, and probably will not be able to recreate in the rest of his career

We need the spirit of Lambert to return to the team for every game remaining. Diamond formation with Hoolahan, Holt and Kamara up top. No more of this defensive shite from Hughton, because if we continue to play like that we WILL go down.

If we play offensively against Reading we can and will win. If we play cautiously, we will draw and be right in the thick of things come the end of next weekend.

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]

We need the spirit of Lambert to return to the team for every game remaining. Diamond formation with Hoolahan, Holt and Kamara up top. No more of this defensive shite from Hughton, because if we continue to play like that we WILL go down.

If we play offensively against Reading we can and will win. If we play cautiously, we will draw and be right in the thick of things come the end of next weekend.

[/quote]We didnt play defensive yesterday (formation at least).Unless you think Kei and WFL GH upfront with 2 wingers alongside is defensive?

SHINK WE OUTTA GET EWL HOLLOWAY IN, HE''LL DO A JOB BUH!

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="Canary Poirot"]

[/quote]

We didnt play defensive yesterday (formation at least).

Unless you think Kei and WFL GH upfront with 2 wingers alongside is defensive?

SHINK WE OUTTA GET EWL HOLLOWAY IN, HE''LL DO A JOB BUH!
[/quote]

We played cautiously against Arsenal and we must not against Reading. That is the point.

Reply to grant holt''s 3 year contract:

And where exactly did I say get Holloway in you cretin brained moron?

If you cannot fathom the empirical evidence of Lambert''s reign as manager where we played entertaining attacking football and wonback to back promotions and finished comfortably in 12th position in the Premiership than you are indeed a numpty of the highest order. ButI suspect both you and I know that you are as evidenced by your ignorant put down of my original post.

The yearning for Lambert amongst some is unbelievable.

Please move on already, it''s been nearly a year now

[quote user="Olly"]The yearning for Lambert amongst some is unbelievable.

Please move on already, it''s been nearly a year now[/quote]

Why is it unbelievable? He was one of our most successful managers in the past 25 years. People were yearning after Mike Walker many years after his first spell in charge. Or are you too young to remember those days?

[quote user="Olly"]The yearning for Lambert amongst some is unbelievable.

Please move on already, it''s been nearly a year now[/quote]

Why is it unbelievable? He was one of our most successful managers in the past 25 years. People were yearning after Mike Walker many years after his first spell in charge. Or are you too young to remember those days?

[/quote]

Born in 95 so I actually am!

Back on subject playing bottom of the league side Reading apparantly at the wrong time, despite them losing 7 of 8 and drawing the other.

Also us coming off an injustice at Arsenal, meaning this game is not only a must win like before, but now the players will be even more focused to rectify that injustice.

Reading also have the worst away record in the league, the worst defensive record in the league. Not a bad team to be playing when you need 3 points...

Reply to grant holt''s 3 year contract:

And where exactly did I say get Holloway in you cretin brained moron?

If you cannot fathom the empirical evidence of Lambert''s reign as manager where we played entertaining attacking football and won
back to back promotions and finished comfortably in 12th position in the Premiership than you are indeed a numpty of the highest order. But
I suspect both you and I know that you are as evidenced by your ignorant put down of my original post.

[/quote]

[:O]

You just lost the argument my man..

Every Norwich supporter will have had this game marked down as ''3 points'' since the start of the season. It''s starting to look like three points or bust......[/quote]Well, I''d rather be playing them in their current position compared to other scenarios - e.g. they were 2 points from safety and desperately needed to beat us, or they were battling for 4th place and European football.  But I think anyone can make a glass half-empty if you''re determined that will be the outcome.

What''s that?  They have a big goalkeeper?  Ah hell, hadn''t realised that.

"Canary Poirot""Olly"The yearning for Lambert amongst some is unbelievable.

Please move on already, it''s been nearly a year now

He WAS our best manager. Was being the operative word. Olly is right, fans need to move on and stop living in the past.