Sign in to follow this  
ellis206

Bassong and Snodgrass injured

Due to have Bassong and Snodgrass come meet us at work today to do a speech (Work for Aviva), they have both pulled out due to injuries so Norwich are sending Grant Holt and Russell Martin instead.

Lets hope they are just minor injuries or this season will be really touch and go!!!

Fingers crossed its just stiffness from Saturday so they are having ice baths or something!! Snoddy was limping a bit during the match though

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

Blimey, what sort of injury prevents you from giving a speech to some insurance workers?

[/quote]A mental one where you supspect half the building support Arsenal!!

Snodgrass I think we can do without for a game, Bassong being out for a few games would really worry me to be honest. I think its unfair to expect people with muscle strains to hobble over to Aviva in pain... Anyway...gives you lot a better chance to ask Grant Holt why he looks like a league 2 player the last few weeks

How dare they go and talk to human beings outside the club! outrage!

but seriously, if it was going to be a bad enough injury that they would miss the next game, I would of thought both would of gone along anyway.

it''s probably just very tired muscles, that a few days rest will take care of.

and I do agree with bass would be a much bigger blow than snoddy. not because he is better, but because we have a suitable backup in E Benno. I worry about a R benno and turner pairing. even though I have the up most confidence in turner, Ryan is just a bit too young.

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"] I worry about a R benno and turner pairing. even though I have the up most confidence in turner, Ryan is just a bit too young.[/quote]

Don''t really think it''s R Bennett''s age that''s the problem or the worry. It''s the ability where he falls short. Miles and miles away from Bassong/Turner level.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Its Character Forming"]Have to say I''m not happy with the idea of any first team players going to Aviva for a jolly right now, talk about an unnecessary distraction !  Can''t it wait until 20th May ?[/quote]You''d prefer injured players train 10 hours a day?[/quote]

No I''d want all our players to be focusing on the best way to prepare for a vital game on Saturday without unnecessary distractions.  If injured, I''d want them to be doing the best they can to recover.

Now, does anyone seriously think going to do some corporate B/S at the team sponsor falls into either category ?

It was a lesson under Lambert I think when we started the Champ season against Watford and the team spent too much time speaking to Sky before the game, we lost 4-2 at home.  Apparently media access was cut down dramaticaly after that.

Actually they were there supporting Jamie''s game alongside Darren Eadie which is a fantastic cause, perhaps you should ask before sending out accusations? unless of course you find a game of football more important than charity?

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

Blimey, what sort of injury prevents you from giving a speech to some insurance workers?

[/quote]

Hopefully it''s just general wear and tear.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Its Character Forming"]Have to say I''m not happy with the idea of any first team players going to Aviva for a jolly right now, talk about an unnecessary distraction !  Can''t it wait until 20th May ?[/quote]You''d prefer injured players train 10 hours a day?[/quote]

No I''d want all our players to be focusing on the best way to prepare for a vital game on Saturday without unnecessary distractions.  If injured, I''d want them to be doing the best they can to recover.

Now, does anyone seriously think going to do some corporate B/S at the team sponsor falls into either category ?

It was a lesson under Lambert I think when we started the Champ season against Watford and the team spent too much time speaking to Sky before the game, we lost 4-2 at home.  Apparently media access was cut down dramaticaly after that.

[/quote]So, how would they do that? Day-to-day how would they do that? Sit at home and mentally prepare while sitting on the couch? Meditate? Play FIFA on XBox, being Norwich against Reading 30 times a day?You say that you''d like them to focus their time on preparation. What activities do you believe this "focus" and "preparation" actually entails? What''s more, can you explain how a few hours spent in an office talking to a few people hinders this process?There are a lot of hours to fill for a footballer at this time of year. Training intensity is wound down due to the risk of injury / burn out. I think you underestimate how much spare time professional footballers actually have.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Its Character Forming"]

[/quote]So, how would they do that? Day-to-day how would they do that? Sit at home and mentally prepare while sitting on the couch? Meditate? Play FIFA on XBox, being Norwich against Reading 30 times a day?You say that you''d like them to focus their time on preparation. What activities do you believe this "focus" and "preparation" actually entails? What''s more, can you explain how a few hours spent in an office talking to a few people hinders this process?There are a lot of hours to fill for a footballer at this time of year. Training intensity is wound down due to the risk of injury / burn out. I think you underestimate how much spare time professional footballers actually have.[/quote]

The question is simple - will coming in to the office at Aviva to give speeches, help preparation for the Reading game ?  Can you point me to anything suggesting it will be helpful ?  Of course not.  The reverse, that it''s an unnecessary distraction at a crucial time of the season, is much more likely.

My answer is simple and to repeat - I''d want them to prepare in the best way for the Reading game, which is obviously the job of the coaching staff to decide.  I find it doubtful that some corporate jolly at Aviva is anything except a distraction.

Can you point to any evidence from a professional sports person that time spent on media/sponsorship activities helped their performance?  I think they will all say it''s a necessary evil.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Its Character Forming"]

[/quote]So, how would they do that? Day-to-day how would they do that? Sit at home and mentally prepare while sitting on the couch? Meditate? Play FIFA on XBox, being Norwich against Reading 30 times a day?You say that you''d like them to focus their time on preparation. What activities do you believe this "focus" and "preparation" actually entails? What''s more, can you explain how a few hours spent in an office talking to a few people hinders this process?There are a lot of hours to fill for a footballer at this time of year. Training intensity is wound down due to the risk of injury / burn out. I think you underestimate how much spare time professional footballers actually have.[/quote]

The question is simple - will coming in to the office at Aviva to give speeches, help preparation for the Reading game ?  Can you point me to anything suggesting it will be helpful ?  Of course not.  The reverse, that it''s an unnecessary distraction at a crucial time of the season, is much more likely.

My answer is simple and to repeat - I''d want them to prepare in the best way for the Reading game, which is obviously the job of the coaching staff to decide.  I find it doubtful that some corporate jolly at Aviva is anything except a distraction.

Can you point to any evidence from a professional sports person that time spent on media/sponsorship activities helped their performance?  I think they will all say it''s a necessary evil.

[/quote]You didn''t answer my question though. What activities do you expect "focus" and "preparation" to include, and how long does it take? Also, how does spending 2 hours in an office distract from these activities?Instead, you''ve just gone on to say "will coming in to the office at Aviva to give speeches, help preparation for the Reading game" and then passing your opinion off like it''s fact, when it''s just your opinion.. Perhaps something like this is a nice useful distraction to sitting at home thinking about football. A nice distraction to over thinking about last weeks or next weeks game.Can you point to any evidence from a professional sports person that

time spent on media/sponsorship activities helped their performance?  I

think they will all say it''s a necessary evil.
Without even thinking about it too hard, I can give you 2. Jessica Ennis, and Mo Farah. Both tarted their way around sponsors and media in the lead-up to the Olympics. Both went on to;* Achieve their goals at London 2012.* Raise the profile of their sport* Raise their own profile and set themselves up for life.Did these activities have a positive impact on their performance? Probably not in my opinion. However it would be hard to argue it had a negative impact given their exceptional performance at London 2012.You''re probably right in that most professional athletes don''t like doing this sort of stuff. However, to draw the conclusion that spending a few hours in an office has any impact on their performance, positive or negative, I just can''t agree with. Like I said, depending on the player, some might welcome it as a distraction from the stress of a relegation battle.

Actually I remember Jessica Ennis giving an interview before the games where she said she had to be very careful to make sure the time she spent on media activities didn''t interfere with her preparation.  Which would support my view of this sort of thing as a necessary evil.  She didn''t say anything about them being a welcome distraction.  And I don''t remember Mo Farah doing a lot of interviews etc until after he''d won (he lives in Oregon).  Which is my point here - why do this at such a crucial stage of the season ?

For Ennis of course it was crucial as you say that she made the most of her time in the spotlight so she could set herself up for life financially, so she had to spend time on those outside activities - which is what a "necessary evil" means.

The media being a distraction before our defeat to Watford at the start of the Championship season is of course more relevant to football.

Yes this is all my opinion (and your opinion).  The hint was in my opening post when I said "I''m not happy with the idea...".  It''s an internet message board.  I''ve give my opinion.  You''ve given yours.  I don''t find your reasoning the least bit convincing, so there''s no point in just repeating it. 

I will say again, they were not here for a jolly they were here promoting Jamies game with Darren Eadie, great cause I say.

Sorry Ellis. From your opening post I thought it was some Aviva corporate thing foisted on them due to sponsorship. If they were their voluntarily to plug a charity game that''s totally different.

Care to share any more info about it? Did they say anything interesting?