Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

HOLT HAS TO START!!

Big Grant has to start against Reading, has a good record against them in previous meetings, apart from sending off, will be up for the game, and boy do we need him to produce the goods!!

I think much will depend on the fitness and form of both Pilkington and Wes on whether he actually starts or not. Personally I would start him. I haven''t got any logical explanation for backing that up. He didn''t play that well on Saturday (albeit feeding off scraps) and has been indifferent for most of the season. But this is a massive game and I wouldn''t put it past him to have a big say in it. That is the kind of character he is.

Grant Holt should start up front with Wes just behind him. Leave Kamara''s fresh legs to give us a big energy boost with 20 minutes left.

Where does Becchio fit into the remainder of this season?

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

Grant Holt should start up front with Wes just behind him. Leave Kamara''s fresh legs to give us a big energy boost with 20 minutes left.

Where does Becchio fit into the remainder of this season?

[/quote]

Hoolahan does not fit in a 4-4-1-1 IMO. He''s basically playing as a striker anyway, and he''s too slow to do that. He ends up isolating the front man, may aswell play 4-4-2 unless we play the diamond when he is free to express himself. 2 goals (1 of which should really be kamaras) and only 2 assists for a creative midfielder/striker isn''t good enough for me. Becchio and kamara to start in a 442

This is a massive game and I also wouldn''t put it past him to have a big say in it......

.......unfortunately this could be equally for a red card as much as a goal.

If he starts - fine..........if he scores - fine.........but once he gets his statutory yellow card he should be hauled off immediately......no point in taking the risk of playing Reading with ten men (the same could probably be said for Snodgrass with his current record for cards).

After our performance against Arsenal, I think that we could continue with athe 4-3-3 formation. We certainly created some good chances, and we seemed more mobile. So, sadly, I would have Wes on the bench. If Pilks is fit I would play him on the left of the front three, and with Kei and Snoddy we would have a pretty mobile attack, supported by Howson regularly and Johnson (if fit) and Tettey occasionally. So I would not include Holt, as being too slow.

The unknown is in what frame of mind Reading arrive. Have they more or less given up,  (didn''t seem like it last Saturday) or will they arrive on Saturday determined to go flat out, or come determined to obtain at least one point by a defensive wall?

In some ways it could be easier if they do come to attack, because we could then hit them on the break. The pace of Pilks and Kamara could be crucial, and Howson is no slouch.

What I fear, personally,  is a drawn-out affair where we fail to create much in running up against their defence, and fail to score from what we do create, and they then break away and score. (Shades of Luton?)

CH has the problem of deciding how we start - let''s hope for a couple of early goals to settle us, and when it may be necessary to make substitutions. The composition of the bench will be important, perhaps including Becchio, to provde a three striker attack late on if necessary.

[quote user="zemas tendon"]Big Grant has to start against Reading, has a good record against them in previous meetings, apart from sending off, will be up for the game, and boy do we need him to produce the goods!![/quote]On current form I wouldn''t even have him washing the kit! With certain individuals on here he could run out blind folded and you guys would still be lapping it up...talk about accepting mediocrity!

[quote user="ARCHIEGEMMELL"][quote user="zemas tendon"]Big Grant has to start against Reading, has a good record against them in previous meetings, apart from sending off, will be up for the game, and boy do we need him to produce the goods!![/quote]On current form I wouldn''t even have him washing the kit! With certain individuals on here he could run out blind folded and you guys would still be lapping it up...talk about accepting mediocrity![/quote]

I have to agree with Archiegemmell. I''m  a big fan of Grant Holt; always will be. I love his back story, he''s always been the talisman and heart of the team and he''s cemented his place forever in NCFC''s folklore.... however, his last few performances have been sloppy. His performance in the Arsenal game verged on being pedestrian. He was constantly caught flat footed and a step off the game.To put it simply, Holty''s head is not right and he needs to figure out where his passion is, because at the moment he''s nothing more than a big guy filling a jersey and kicking a ball.Not sure of it''s CH''s man-management/tactics that have gotten Holty in a slump, or if there are other reasons for it, but at the moment, he''s average at best.

No way did we play 433 against Arsenal. We played 451. The personnel had the potential to play 433. Just like the 451 with Wes has the potential to play 424. But formations should be fluid and I think the 451 with Wes Snoddy and Pilks has the potential to be far more attacking than the 451 we had on Saturday.

I''d start Holt. From the players we have available he''s the best option. I must have missed his booking and sending off on Saturday....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

No way did we play 433 against Arsenal. We played 451. The personnel had the potential to play 433. Just like the 451 with Wes has the potential to play 424. But formations should be fluid and I think the 451 with Wes Snoddy and Pilks has the potential to be far more attacking than the 451 we had on Saturday.

I''d start Holt. From the players we have available he''s the best option. I must have missed his booking and sending off on Saturday....

[/quote]I take it you stayed long enough to catch his five assists and stunning hat trick then???

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nutty, given Holt''s recent form, what do you believe are good grounds for starting him?

[quote user="Man Who Stares At Goats"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nutty, given Holt''s recent form, what do you believe are good grounds for starting him?

[/quote]

You wanna spend less time staring at goats and more time reading posts [8-|][;)]

I believe Holty scored our last winner.

What are good grounds for not starting him?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Man Who Stares At Goats"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You wanna spend less time staring at goats and more time reading posts [8-|][;)]

[/quote]

Honestly? You mean our last winner scored by Holt back in February?Really? I would go so far as to ask how many shots on goal he''s even had.Listen, don''t get me wrong, I''m a fan of Holt, but have you seen his level of play over the last few games? I wont explain it, just watch the replays. He''s in a bad vain of form and has been average all season. Some could argue it''s the tactics and maybe that''s discouraged him to some degree, but overall, he''s not on his ''A'' game; that''s for sure.

"I''d start Holt. From the players we have available he''s the best option. I must have missed his booking and sending off on Saturday...."

Don''t be a smart arse.....prior to the Arsenal game Holt had picked up four yellow cards playing less than 140 minutes of football....and has barely offered a threat on goal over the same period. He has also been lucky not to pick up reds.

Every Norwich supporter who feels he doesn''t justify selection, have good cause. The man has been ''on tilt'' for weeks, and no one can be sure whether there is enough of the season left for him to find some sort of form.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Man Who Stares At Goats"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]On his sound judgement and pearls of wisdom I think Hughton should start with Turner up front...he almost had our winner!!!

One thing is certain we really have nobody who is showing any sort of form to start up front. Of course in addition we have the "Hughton factor". Will he go for one striker against the bottom team, already doomed and the worst defence in the premiership. Would not bet against it. I think we should go for a bit of experience and start with Becchio and Jackson, with either Holt or Kamara to come on at half time if it is not working. Pilks and Snodgrass to play wide, although Pilks bothers me as he tends to start brightly then disappears for long periods. Should definitely adopt an attacking attitude as with a back four including Whittaker our opponents should not pose much of a threat.

Bearing in mind our very poor attacking play as of late, unable to find any space, frequently losing possession and general lack of basic footballing quality, means the result of this vital match is no foregone conclusion. The crowd will have to get right behind them at the start, but if Hughton starts with Snodgrass on the left to accomodate a tall gangling player wide on the right with little big time experience and main asset is heading ability, then as against Swansea the crowd will need to see something positive quick to get them excited.

[quote user="vos"]

One thing is certain we really have nobody who is showing any sort of form to start up front. Of course in addition we have the "Hughton factor". Will he go for one striker against the bottom team, already doomed and the worst defence in the premiership. Would not bet against it. I think we should go for a bit of experience and start with Becchio and Jackson, with either Holt or Kamara to come on at half time if it is not working. Pilks and Snodgrass to play wide, although Pilks bothers me as he tends to start brightly then disappears for long periods. Should definitely adopt an attacking attitude as with a back four including Whittaker our opponents should not pose much of a threat.

Bearing in mind our very poor attacking play as of late, unable to find any space, frequently losing possession and general lack of basic footballing quality, means the result of this vital match is no foregone conclusion. The crowd will have to get right behind them at the start, but if Hughton starts with Snodgrass on the left to accomodate a tall gangling player wide on the right with little big time experience and main asset is heading ability, then as against Swansea the crowd will need to see something positive quick to get them excited.

[/quote]ABSOLUTE AGREEMENT

[quote user="vos"]

[/quote]This drives me craaazzzzyyyy.It amazes me that at this level of play, in the best league in the world, you have players who make pedestrian passes, or worse, can''t even find their man. It blows my mind how a player in the premier league can get away with poor passing.For me, there''s nothing worse than working your arse off to win the ball back, only to give it away 3 seconds later because of poor passing.

[quote user="Man Who Stares At Goats"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Man Who Stares At Goats"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Honestly? You mean our last winner scored by Holt back in February?

Really? I would go so far as to ask how many shots on goal he''s even had.

Listen, don''t get me wrong, I''m a fan of Holt, but have you seen his level of play over the last few games? I wont explain it, just watch the replays. He''s in a bad vain of form and has been average all season. Some could argue it''s the tactics and maybe that''s discouraged him to some degree, but overall, he''s not on his ''A'' game; that''s for sure.

[/quote]

I''ll try again. You see I am allowed an opinion.

If I picked the team ands everyone was fit it would be : -

Ruddy

Whittaker Bassong Turner Garrido]

Snodgrass Tettey Johnson Pilkington

Hoolahan

Holt

Now as I have to justify my selections to the starer and Gemmell the unique goat the justification is that starting eleven has been the best all season. So when we need points I''d have more confidence in them than a load of might bes and may dos.

Do you realise how little you actually see of a football match in replays? I have no idea what you have seen but I haven''t seen anybody else perform that role better than Holt. Which was the reason for my comment From the players we have available he''s the best option.

So come on you three wise men. Without insulting me tell me who you''d play there in front of Holt and what your selection has done to justify it.

It is an interesting shout Hannibal particularly as it is a system which has brought so much success at every level its been used at. However I think at this stage of the season you have to pragmatic. We are used to playing a variation of 1 up front. To try something radically different at this stage (I doubt the diamond has even been coached this year) would be very risky.

Its a real shame it hasn''t been utilised at all this season. I think it certainly could have been used in games against sides of our stature where we could have been looking to get on the front foot. It can at times leave you exposed in wide areas. But how many teams in this league actually play with genuine width? Particularly with inverted wingers seemingly in fashion at the moment.

The added benefits are the surprise element it would have given us. Preparing for games against Norwich this season must have become very routine and easy indeed at times.

The added benefit is that it would have potentially involved more players in the squad keeping them match fit and sharp. A big feature of this season has been how poorly the squad players have performed when given a start. Obviously this is partly their fault but it must be pretty tough to play in the Premier League when you haven''t kicked a ball in a meaningful competitive game for months.