Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Doomcaster fails with Mickey Mouse league shake-up

Not surprised at all that Doomcaster is one of the driving forces behind this latest farce. I congratulate Ross County and St Mirren for listening to their fans and standing their ground on this issue. Scottish football has fundamental issues which need to be met head on. Splitting a couple of divisions at different times does not change that.

Scotland imo would benefit enormously from a summer league, and if they also allowed the top sides ''B'' teams. I.e like Spain. So Celtic B could play in the second league.

Would also reduce the running costs, as i''m sure a lot of the EPL would be loaning young players up to Scotland. Whilst it would in theory turn it into a feeder league system, the reality sky would probably pay more money for a summer league, with the lack of sports available, and could help with the cash.

I''m not sure, how changing the league size every so on, changes the financial dynamics of the big clubs (Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen and the Dundee sides) majority struggling with cash.

Ha HA! So Rangers B could play in a higher division than their first team?

And I see from his interview on Sky last night that he''s still spouting the same management mumbo-jumbo he came out with when he was here. I wonder where we''d be now if this highly-paid failure was still our Chief Exec. He''d probably be standing on Carrow Bridge trying to convince fans how lucky they are to be able to look forward to a true local derby next season - i.e. against Lowestoft in the Ryman League.

"Two divisions of twelve that split into three divisions of eight after

twenty-two games have been played.  What?  Sounds perfectly sensible and

well thought out to me.
"

It''s not as stupid as it sounds.   Its only like having a system of play offs to finish a season.        A  more logical system would be to start with several small, local leagues building into larger leagues at the end of the season,  but that would not take into account the widely differing  abilities of clubs at local level.   I am no fan of Doomcaster, but at least he has tried to come up with something different.   Scottish football needs something different to move it on.  The present system is not working and there is no way 2 or 3 big leagues will work.   So a series of play off style leagues to finish a season would have worked.    His system is only a variation of what we do in leagues in England.

A few observations:

Whether one likes it or not, Rangers has been one of the giants of Scottish football for the last century and has only been demoted to the 3rd tier this season - and as I don''t know the full story, will cover my proverbials by saying, for alleged financial irregularities. The proposal that was put forward would have meant that Rangers would still stay in the 3rd tier - even though they have already comfortably won it. That was a stupid and self defeating proposition.

If Rangers had been denied promotion, then they would have probably applied to join the Football League - and would probably have to be accepted given the precedence of Swansea, Cardiff etc. That would have been disastrous for Scottish football - having just one "super club" and no viable challenger. As the money is not there, in all likelihood, it would mean that Celtic would eventually drop to the level of the other SPL clubs, as opposed to the other clubs being in a position to be competitive with them.

As Baracouda sensibly suggested, a Spanish model allowing the "B" teams to also play in the league (as well as possibly a summer "mini league") would help with a better vfm proposition from the clubs, improve cash flow, and probably increase revenue.

Another suggestion would be to assess the financial viability of a number of clubs and for some of these to merge into a larger and more stable partnership - reduce the operating costs, increase the revenue stream and provide more stability for Scottish football at both regional level and national level.

[quote user="lake district canary"]"Two divisions of twelve that split into three divisions of eight after

twenty-two games have been played.  What?  Sounds perfectly sensible and

well thought out to me.
"I am no fan of Doomcaster, but at least he has tried to come up with something different.   Scottish football needs something different to move it on.  The present system is not working and there is no way 2 or 3 big leagues will work.   So a series of play off style leagues to finish a season would have worked.    His system is only a variation of what we do in leagues in England.[/quote]Not really.English system:Top 2 promotedTeam 3 plays Team 6 Home & Away - Semi FinalTeam 4 plays Team 5 Home & Away - Semi-FinalOne-off final between winners of each semi-final

Scottish system:League of 12: Each team plays each other home & awayThen League of 8: Each team plays each other home & away

And coming up with "something different" is no measure of success.

Still, happier to see him f*cking up Scottish football than f*cking up our club.