Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Man City vs Wigan - Wednesday & Wigan's Fixture List!

Anything other than a Man City victory tomorrow would be a massive shock.  The only slight thing in Wigan''s favour is that they had an extra day''s rest, but Man City should be a home banker.  I''m also hoping City are ruthless and dent Wigan''s goal difference.

With the FA Cup Final now in there Wigan''s remaining fixtures and the time between some games looks daunting to say the least! 

It''s points on the board at this stage of the season that count, a bird in the hand..........

April 2013

This table charts the fixtures in April 2013
Show last 5 matches and coverageCompetitionFixtureDateKick-offStatus
Premier League

Man City V Wigan

Wed 17 Apr 19:45
Premier League

West Ham V Wigan

Sat 20 Apr 15:00
Premier League

Wigan V Tottenham

Sat 27 Apr 15:00

May 2013

This table charts the fixtures in May 2013
Show last 5 matches and coverageCompetitionFixtureDateKick-offStatus
Premier League

West Brom V Wigan

Sat 4 May 15:00
Premier League

Wigan V Swansea

Tue 7 May 19:45
FA Cup - Final

Man City V Wigan

Sat 11 May Kick-off TBC
Premier League

Arsenal V Wigan

Tue 14 May 19:45
Premier League

Wigan V Aston Villa

Sun 19 May 16:00

Thanks

Agree 100% that Man City should win on Wed but they''re not all-conquering like last year so we can''t take anything for granted. I''ll be watching the updates nervously.

Lets hope the officials help the home team if necessary!

Man.C should win, but they''ve not got as much to play for, might take their eye off the ball a little because they''re in the FA Cup final and only have a 3% chance of Man.U not picking up 7 points in 6 games. And Wigan like beating whoever they want at this time of the season.

Of course that run of escaping relegation like they do has to end, they can''t keep doing it forever. They either need to get relegated, or be in a safer position earlier in the season. Man.C should win, and then two tricky home games against Spurs and Swansea, won''t be easy to win. Neither will any of their away games, but West Ham and WBA are erratic.

Personally I can see Wigan easily staying up, if the same old story happens, they''ll beat at least West Ham, Swansea and Villa. Its Stoke who are in the real danger for me. They have two deciders for me. Against us and away to Sunderland. Against us it seems so likely it''ll be 0-0. And Di Canio may just inspire Sunderland to safety after they looked doomed. Stoke aren''t good on the road, and although they only face QPR, Sunderland and Southampton (who will have nothing to play for on the last day) away from home, it would be very easy for them not to pick up a win. They really need to beat us, as their other home game is Spurs.

Newcastle probably have the hardest set of fixtures, away gmes to WBA, West Ham and QPR. All winnable, but all very lose-able as well. And they play Liverpool and Arsenal at home. Not easy at all.

Whereas we have 3 winnable home games. If we play like we did in the last two games against Reading, we will win. And then an away trip to Stoke, which will probably be 0-0, anything else would be a shock.

It''s a tough run-in. Teams like Spurs and Arsenal who are competing for a Champions League spot should see them off. But I wonder if games against comfortable mid-table sides like Swansea and West Brom will prove more fruitful. Swansea looked they they gave up when we went 2-1 up at Carrow Rd (but of course we then sat back and let them back into the game).Wigan are now playing a more positive and productive brand of football, and seem capable of deciding their own fate. We can only hope it''s too little, too late.It''s just a shame our fate has come down to hoping for other teams to fail.

''Swansea looked they they gave up when we went 2-1 up at Carrow Rd (but of course we then sat back and let them back into the game).''

I didn''t watch the game, as that was the day I went on holiday with my family, but had Final score on. And they said the opposite. So did my Grandad. We were attacking after we went 2-1 up...

It is in our own hands!

Gingerpele I bet you a tenner that Wigan do not easily stay up.  They can''t quite easily stay up in my book. 

Wigan last season and Wigan this season aren''t comparable.  Last season they were playing good football and winning games easily.  This season they have managed to pick up some wins of late, but they aren''t playing that well.  They were lucky against Newcastle and struggled at QPR.

After Man City, they travel to West Ham, who aren''t yet safe so have everything to play for and have a good home record.  West Brom also have a good home record.

I think Wigan will struggle to stay up.  If they do it will be only if the likes of Stoke or Newcastle do not win another game and even then I''m not so certain.  I can see Wigan quite easily getting 0 points from their next 4 games.  Then the pressure is really on them at home to Swansea with an FA Cup Final 4 days later.  That then just leaves them with 2 games left, away to Arsenal and home to Villa.

Also not forgetting Man City are only 6 points above Arsenal who are on a great run so I can''t see Man City taking anything easy.

In  May it''s 5 games in 15 days including that cup final for Wigan.

Everyone seems to be convinced they''ll stay up and some think they''ll stay up in some style.  I just don''t see it.  Would you swap places with them? - I wouldn''t1

I do believe that Wigan will leave the Etihad with nothing tomorrow. They also will have fixtures closer together as they have 3 more games to play than us - including the FA Cup Final, a distraction for them. More games also means more chances for injuries, fatigue and suspensions.

If Man City play as well as they did against United and in the FA Cup... and Wigan play as badly as they did against QPR (10 men QPR!)This should be a walkover for City. Just a shame it''s taken City this long to find last seasons form. They really have looked brilliant recently and it would have made the title race a lot more exciting.Problem with Wigan is they do this every year, although they don''t seem as composed as last year, they were truly awful against QPR and had it not been for Zamora I''m sure QPR would have won comfortably.

IF Wigan can manage to lose both their away games this week and IF we can beat Reading I for one will certainly feel much moe relaxed than I do now. A seven-point lead over Wigan with them having five games to play including some difficult matches in a congested period with an FA Cup Final on their minds will paint a much rosier picture.

Wigan 13/1 on betfair to beat Man C...personally feel they should be alittle bigger around 16/1 then it would be worth a few quid

[quote user="Gingerpele"]''Swansea looked they they gave up when we went 2-1 up at Carrow Rd (but of course we then sat back and let them back into the game).'' I didn''t watch the game, as that was the day I went on holiday with my family, but had Final score on. And they said the opposite. So did my Grandad. We were attacking after we went 2-1 up...[/quote]

I think he made that up...

[quote user="Gingerpele"]He as in my Grandad, or the poster I was quoting?[/quote]

The quote. I think your grandad generally sees the same game as I do. Perhaps it''s an age thing[;)]

5 of Wigan''s remaining 7 games are against top-half sides - I had to double check this after reading this stat taken from the BBC -

"Wigan have won only one of their 15 matches against top-half opposition in this season''s Premier League (W1, D2, L12)."

[li]

Good to see Man City starting with Aguero and Tevez.  It''s a nice night so I''m gonna sit and relax in front of a stream and watch a good battering with a glass of remy or two.

That''s a refreshing stat broadslim, hopefully they''ll get crushed in the cup final and lose all momentum!

[quote user="city4eva"]Wigan 13/1 on betfair to beat Man C...personally feel they should be alittle bigger around 16/1 then it would be worth a few quid[/quote]

wish i had taken the 13/1 they are only 8/1 now, could have layed it if nothing else

I agree with Gingerpele. I think it''s between us and Stoke for that last drop spot more so than Wigan. Wigan actually play a decent brand of football and are capable of mixing it up tactically and have a clever manager in Martinez, they''ve also been in this situation the last 5 years or so and know what it takes although i do feel the FA cup final could be a fatal distraction that puts the final nail in their coffin. Stoke just hoof it long and hope for the best. They are clueless and so one dimensional. Pulis has totally run out of idea''s. They looked absolutely woeful against Villa and Utd. Saying all that they are bound to get a flukey win against us with our record there, i can''t look forward to that game with any optimism, hence we MUST be Reading and hope that fail to win at Qpr meaning we can go there 3 points above them.

Man City have been dire tonight.  The cup game could be partly to blame, but not to the extent of how bad they have been.  90% of the time when Wigan have had the ball City have let them run 30, 40, 50 yards completely unchallenged.  City never do that and certainly not at home.

Wigan have played well, but as good as they have been or if not more so City have been bad.

Tevez with a great strike!

1-0 City

It was good news Man U coming back to draw as West Ham still aren''t quite safe, so they have everything to play for at home to Wigan on Saturday, knowing that if they beat Wigan they seal their Premier League status for another year.

A bird in the hand.........

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

4 of Wigan''s remaining 6 games are against top-half sides - I had to double check this after reading this stat taken from the BBC -

"Wigan have won only one of their 16 matches against top-half opposition in this season''s Premier League (W1, D2, L13)."

[li]

[/quote]

[8-|]

On the basis of form in the last six games, a blanket finish around the 38 to 40 points mark could happen. If it were not for the Cup Final distraction, I would back Wigan to escape. It is really really important that we get 3 points on Staurday.

Wigan - W L W W D L, 10 points

Aston Villa - L W W L W D, 10 points

Newcastle - L W L L W L, 6 points

Sunderland - D L D L L W, 5 pointNorwich - L D D L D L, 3 points

Reading - L L L L L D, 1 point

Stoke - L L D L L L, 1 point