Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Wigan tonight

Obviously wanted man city to win tonight but fair play to Wigan they were much the better team

Think they''ll lose at west ham though and be cut adrift this could be one escape too many for Martinez

They have two very good fixtures at home in Swansea and Villa (on the last day of the season!). They could quite easily make 37 points with a very similar goal difference to us. The quicker we get a win to get us to 38 points, then the quicker we can relax in the reamining matches. I pray that we dont face a Craven Cottage situation at Eastlands on the last day.

It''s the time of the season where it''s results that matter now, not performance. Yeh, Wigan did fine, but they got zip. Same again at West Ham on Saturday please. Coupled with a win for us, they would then be 7 points behind with just 5 remaining. Now that would sound a whole lot better! Now, that''s the easy bit...

We desperately need to beat Reading, to take the pressure off ourselves. It''s in our own hands, but that''s what worries me!

I agree AJ, not sure how our team would react to real pressure should we lose to Reading and Wigan beat West Sham. Wigan are playing really well at present and I''m not sure we can write them off yet.

What with Villa & Sunderland closing the gap and we have to visit Stoke soon it all looks a lot tighter than we would have liked.

If we beat Reading and get that draw at Stoke I believe we will be safe, but draw and lose and we could be in deep trouble.

[quote user="Indy"]

Wigan are playing really well at present...

[/quote]

You say that, but are they actually?  A contentious win against Newcastle, a goalkeeping error against us, a lucky draw against a 10 man QPR and a defeat last night.  I do think some of the media is getting caught up in the whole Wigan ''doing it again'' thing.

Well to me this run backs up the fact that they are playing far better than any other team dwon here!

Reading 0-3 Wigan

Liverpool 4-0

Everton 0-3 Wigan FA CUP

Wigan 2-1 Newcastle

Wigan 1-0 Norwich

QPR 1-1 Wigan

Milwall 0-2 Wigan FA CUP

Man City 1-0 Wigan

I think that run of results backs up that not only are they playing well but getting results too, but if you think different then that''s your opinion ncfcstar, but I think they are playing well.

I just think they have had their run of the luck over the past few weeks, discounting the FA Cup games as they usually have no significance to league form.  They''ve got a really tough run in, and yes I may be wrong come the end of the season but I''d argue that last 7 points they''ve earned have been very fortuitous.

You might be right, but they do have a couple winnable home games as do we and there is no doubt that if we win against Reading and they lose at West Ham, then there''s not much chance of catching us, but bet you if we lose then Wigan will win, sods law.

[quote user="Indy"]

Well to me this run backs up the fact that they are playing far better than any other team dwon here!

Reading 0-3 Wigan

Liverpool 4-0

Everton 0-3 Wigan FA CUP

Wigan 2-1 Newcastle

Wigan 1-0 Norwich

QPR 1-1 Wigan

Milwall 0-2 Wigan FA CUP

Man City 1-0 Wigan

I think that run of results backs up that not only are they playing well but getting results too, but if you think different then that''s your opinion ncfcstar, but I think they are playing well.

[/quote]

They are not playing that well. They beat newcastle due to a lucky goal which should have been disallowed. They beat us due to Camp making a mistake but for most of the game we were the better side and last night Man City were practically on the beach and only raised themselves for the last 15 minutes at which point they promptly scored. Other than that they scraped a draw against 10 man QPR.

On their day they remain a decent side but they can;t score goals (like us) and their recent results flatter them somewhat. They have had all the breaks recently and we have had none. Hopefully that situation might address itself over the remaining games.

[quote user="Indy"]You might be right, but they do have a couple winnable home games as do we and there is no doubt that if we win against Reading and they lose at West Ham, then there''s not much chance of catching us, but bet you if we lose then Wigan will win, sods law.[/quote]

There is a danher there with those last two home games. We could very easily open up a decent gap of 5 or 7 points on them and everyone will relax but both Wigan and Sunderland have 2 very winnable home games towards the end of the season and it is not beyond the realms of possibility that they could both pick up 6 points right at the end of the season. We therefore can''t think the job is done if we beat Reading. We need another win or a couple of draws (preferably against Stoke and Villa) as well as beating Reading.

Absolutely - even if we win Saturday that''s not enough to be safe.

While Wigan may have their last game against villa, at that point you''d rather play a mid table team already on the beach.

All the others will be thinking our last day trip to ManC will be a good time to play them as chances are it will not affect them at all. I really hope we go into it already safe though!

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Indy"]

Reading 0-3 Wigan

Liverpool 4-0

Everton 0-3 Wigan FA CUP

Wigan 2-1 Newcastle

Wigan 1-0 Norwich

QPR 1-1 Wigan

Milwall 0-2 Wigan FA CUP

Man City 1-0 Wigan

[/quote]

They are not playing that well. They beat newcastle due to a lucky goal which should have been disallowed. They beat us due to Camp making a mistake but for most of the game we were the better side and last night Man City were practically on the beach and only raised themselves for the last 15 minutes at which point they promptly scored. Other than that they scraped a draw against 10 man QPR.

On their day they remain a decent side but they can;t score goals (like us) and their recent results flatter them somewhat. They have had all the breaks recently and we have had none. Hopefully that situation might address itself over the remaining games.[/quote]
Did you ignore those results on purpose, or are you just trying to be funny?

I think Wigan have a decent run in. An away trip to an already safe West Ham isn''t the worst game, although I know they upped their game last night against Man U. They are similar to a Swansea, and hopefully West Brom, perhaps already on the beach.

Weren''t Fulham already "on the beach" in the final game of the 2004-2005 season? I''m not convinced this idea that sides with nothing to play for don''t turn up really holds water. If anything I would think they can express themselves more freely when there is little at stake.

Chip,I think it was some of our players who were already on the beach that day at Craven Cottage. Step forward a certain Mr D Francis in particular.

I know what you mean (and I agree) but the same could happen to teams other than us, no?

It just seems to me that those who genuinely believe we will go down constantly assume that other teams will always get lucky breaks and that nothing positive could ever come our way. While all of our relegation rivals could get surprise results (which, again I agree with) there is simply no possibility that we could.