Sign in to follow this  
Longy

Sam Parkin?

If we are going to get another striker (which we are, Worthy''s expressed an interest in replacing everyone who''s left) then Sam Parkin would be a fantastic signing.

Real quality, would be a great replacement for Ashton if he left.

I would find it extraordinary if, with a limited budget, NW went and spent money on a striker when we have Jonsson and Jarvis waiting in the wings (and Jonsson deserves a chance to play in his desired position), and particularly when we know our defence was (Shackell apart) woefully underperforming last season and the central midfield not much better.

The only credible reason for buying him would be if NW already knows that either of Leon or Deano are going to leave.

Re Parkin.. he bears a passing resemblance to doherty i think.. and also there would be no such thing a s an ideal replacement for Ashton. The fact is. Sell him = Forget promotion.

Didn''t we get promoted without Deano?

Why can''t we get promoted this time without Deano?

Longy

[quote]http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/swindon_town/4108528.stm Is he any good? do we need another Striker? Longy[/quote]

I think Nigel has a cunning plan, buy another proven striker and then play him out of position as a winger. Well it''s "worked" before, hasnt it? Seriously though, Mr Parkin does sound pretty good. Evidently he scored 23 league goals in 41 matches for Swindon Town last season, which is pretty good at any level of football. He doesnt come cheap, however with a 700k transfer fee expected. Do we need another striker though? I''m not at all sure.

let''s be honest... you don''t have to have a great defence in the championship - it''s all about scoring goals... look at us when we went up last time... how many times were we defending too deep - we struggled until we had an attacking threat - when Hucks joined we became a different team. Hucks with Ashton and Leon up front and another proven goalscorer should be the reciept to get back out of the division. We do need a bit more cover in centre mid, but if those players up front are playing at their best, I can''t see too many div1 defences keeping all of them at bay!

If we signed him on a 5 year deal would it be LONG TERM PARKIN

or

If we signed him on loan would it be SHORT TERM PARKIN

Ho hum back to work!!

I''ve only seen him play a few times, (my Saturdays are spent on Norwich) but the Swindon fans here would be devastated to see him leave, which, in my book, makes him a good signing. The only other recent time that''s happened is when we signed Ashton.

Nigel will be looking beyond the next season, and if we''re going to return to the Premiership we have to improve our firepower. Anyone notice that we were nearer the bottom of the scorers last year.

I accept however, that we need to stop leaking goals at the other end.

But Worthy has said he''s after at least 5 - so there''s room for another striker.

I think it''ll be a good signing. Having a player of his undoubted prowess just waiting to get his chance, will keep Ashton, and more so McKenzie, on their toes. What a great sub to bring on when one of the front 2 start to tire, or even when we''re going all out for the win - Ashton, McKenzie and Parkin leading the line. Championship defences will be bricking it.

I''d rather the money was spent on a quality player in a position that we actaully NEED, but i''m sure Worthy has a couple of peachy purchases up his sleeve.

The sale of Ashton, would deflate the club so much and send the wrong message to everybody on the eve of season. It annoys me immensely to read all the rubbish pertaining to 3.5 million bids for Ashton, We would actually make a LOSS on him.. highly likely.. Any sale of Ashton should be so potentially financially crippling to the buying club that no-one would dare try it. Lets face it.. he is that good.

Agree there Yoda... If  we sign Parkin  I don''t think he would be coming here to play second fiddle to Deano or Leon... when he could go down the A140 (spit) and be 1st choice.

There has been loads of talk about clubs being interested in Leon. with Charlton and Reading the only ones not to deny the talk...Perhap a double swop by Charlton Francis and Mackenzie

Why''s that Yoda?
I''ve not heard of anything concrete. I reckon that a decent bid should be accepted though, despite Leon''s progress in the 2nd half of the season.
We still need a big lad whatever happens to fill in for Deano if he''s injured or leaves.

[quote]If we signed him on a 5 year deal would it be LONG TERM PARKIN or If we signed him on loan would it be SHORT TERM PARKINOr we could pay him on a pay-as-you-play basis. A sort of PARKIN METER if you will.

I have to say I''d be very suprised if Parkin came here.  Not because we don''t want him.  IMO he''s a superb striker and I''ve heard nothing but rave reviews about the lad.  He won''t come because why would an up and coming striker come to a club to be behind Deano and Leon?  He knows if he goes to Ippo or Watford he will be guaranteed a first team place.  At Norwich he won''t.  It''s a simple as that

Has no-one here heard of injuries then?  If he came here he has a better chance of playing in the Prem as well. There is more to it than being first choice straight away, you have to look long term.

[quote]If we signed him on a 5 year deal would it be LONG TERM PARKIN or If we signed him on loan would it be SHORT TERM PARKIN

And if we clean him, it would be valet parkin.

And if we buried him, it would be underground parkin

I''ll get my coat......

Taxi for Super Sean Carey...............................

[quote]And if we clean him, it would be valet parkin. And if we buried him, it would be underground parkin I''ll get my coat...... Taxi for Super Sean Carey...............................[/quote]

I think a bus would be better for you Sean.

Then it would be

Parkin Ride!!

Think I''ll join you.

Lot''s of different sources reporting about this.

Multi story Parkin?

I''ve also heard that there will not be a fee involved

Free Parkin?

Oh and his lad has a chat show talking to celebrities

Parkins son?

Obviously our Nige not that interested then or the club thought that three quarters of a million was too expensive.  Give Ipswich the credit though they have now gone out and replaced their strike force with two very good players.  May not be the end of their season beofre its begun like we thought it was. 

I must say Im a little bit annoyed that Parkin decided to join our "friends" at poorman road. I was hoping that they were really going to struggle to find replacements for Kuqi and Bent. Still we can only hope that Parkin fails to gel with the rest of the team, with any luck. By the way, who''s the other striker they have signed?