Sign in to follow this  
Nicko

Team for Reading

Am I the only one who would be worried if we played 442 with Johnson and Tettey in midfield?

I think they''re both great players but neither has any real creative passing ability. Howson is much maligned on here but I thought he had a cracking game against Arsenal and has been steadily improving. If we were going to play 442 I think he has to play with (a hopefully fit) Johnson or we will end up lumping the ball forward from the back to the big men.

I personally think we need to start with a 451 and impose ourselves on Reading by keeping possession. Otherwise I can see an attacking formation backfiring on us as Adkins has instilled a bit more belief in them recently and to be outplayed in the first half, or god forbid go behind, might be fatal.

I agree completely Monty. The danger of going 442 is that you get outrun in midfield or you just end up kicking it long. Better to impose ourselves by having 5 in the middle with the front 3 of those having an attacking brief.

442 sounds more attacking but it''s hard to attack if you don''t have the ball.

[quote user=" Badger"]I agree completely Monty. The danger of going 442 is that you get outrun in midfield or you just end up kicking it long. Better to impose ourselves by having 5 in the middle with the front 3 of those having an attacking brief.

442 sounds more attacking but it''s hard to attack if you don''t have the ball.[/quote]I understand your point Badger, but I think that with one up front it can then be hard to really break out of the midfield with a game becoming bogged down in the centre of the pitch, I think we can all agree that Holt has looked isolated at times this season and to be honest (while not wanting to under estimate them) this isnt arsenal or chelsea where we would be in real danger of being played off the pitch in the centre. Take the game to them.

Whatever our lineup will be, I hope we''ll play uncompromisingly attacking football, at least until we take a convincing lead (2-0). Even then I''d rather keep the ball up front. As I see ref decisions as a potential banana skin, I''d start with KK without Holt. I''d bring him in either at half-time, if we would not be in the lead, or later to waste time.

[quote user="AJ"]I I''ll probably get shot down for saying we looked dangerous against Arsenal [/quote]

Not sure about shooting you down but I dont agree with you.  Everything good against the gooners was defensive (primarily excellent shape, closing down space and covering for each other,  not diving in - all stuff done without the ball)  rather than attacking / dangerous.  

Our best two attacks were a route one long ball for Kei to knock down for Hoswon to shoot in the 89th min and a surge forward by Bassong and Martin.   Beyond that our midfield threat,  pace, passing and movement as an attacking force were as poor, as the previous 16 games,  due to the depth at which we defended and reluctance to push players forward.      

Zipper is quite correct. Saw the live streaming and apart from the late surges from Bassong and Martin we were very poor as an attacking force. Repeatedly caught in possession, hopeful balls knocked forward to nobody in particular and just a complete lack of quality. We looked very disjointed with no link or support from the midfield players who seem to be instructed to defend only. This has been a worrying trend, particularly over recent months, and despite the reasonable run-in it is a big concern as to where the goals required will come from.

I saw that Reading have quite a few injuries and most importantly no Kebe or Hal Robson-Kanu; without these two they lack a lot of pace and will probably rely on the strength of Pogrebnyak - Norwich need to be a little brave and play a high defensive line, pinning Reading back into their half. Putting their rathe suspect centre-backs under pressure and bringing Holt/Kamara''s strength in the air into play more. This should negate the problems of connecting midfield to attack and allow Norwich to play a 5 man midfield - maintaining control in midfield with effective, high pressing.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"] Norwich need to be a little brave and play a high defensive line, pinning Reading back into their half. [/quote]

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]  This should negate the problems of connecting midfield to attack and allow Norwich to play a 5 man midfield - maintaining control in midfield with effective, high pressing.[/quote]

Precisely this.  last seen against spurs and since not used.

Agree with Josh this

-----------------------Ruddy-------------------------

Martin------Turner-----Bassong-----Whittaker

---------------------Johnson-------------------------

-------Snodgrass------------Pilkington-----------

---------------------Hoolahan------------------------

-----------------Becchio-----Holt--------------------

No point being scared of Reading