Sign in to follow this  
Nicko

Team for Reading

Would be tempted with 2 up but think there''s is more need to get Snodgrass back on the right where he is at his most dangerous. Pilks has to start if fit for balance, Wes behind Holt.

Actually big call to make for 2 out of 3 from Johnson, Tettey and Howson. Think we will see more of the ball this week so would probably play Howson instead of Tettey. Back 4 the same but if Ruddy is fit play him, needs game time and would want him in at Stoke, again, cant see Reading threatening as often as Stoke next week, so good opportunity to get 90 minutes under his belt.

For me Kamara has to be used as an impact player, his pace and energy is a big part of his game and would make up for lack of experience against tired legs. I think he has been given a fair go, but to be honest his miss in the swansea game still stands out in my mind. I still find it odd that we havent used Becchio more (who had 19 goals for the season to his name before his arrival) and would have fancied him to have put that chance away, the lad is a poacher from what Ive seen of him when he has scored for Leeds.                               Ruddy       Martin         Turner      Bassong     Whittaker       Snodgrass     Howson    Johnson    Pilkington                 Becchio           Holt

4-4-2 at home Shocking I know, but from that formation I think we have options to mix it up abit if required; Bennet, Hoolahan and Kamara all offer excellent options to bring on to really take the game to Reading, Tetty if we need to boss the midfield if we do take a lead and want to settle the end of the second half. I think, provided all of the above are fit we will be able to provide Holt with the service to create and use Becchio''s poachers instinct coming off the hold up play. I think Howson is starting to find a rhythm and when he gets his head up he often looks to be one of our most positive players with regards to trying to burst through the middle. Ruddy, ha well a token inclusion, I think its completely 50-50... talisman vs a match sharp Bunn, to close to call!

Birchfest,I really cant understand why people think that Kamara has pace. I really cant remember him in any of recent games beating a defender on a one on one situation with pace. He brings effort for sure and an aerial presence at set pieces, but he isnt a target man (which probably explians why Holt is preferred in that role despite his recent labours) and he isnt a winger in the sense of Pilks, Snoddy or Bennett. His ball control, passing and shooting are not particular strengths either. For me, he is an impact player when we are chasing the game, particularly regarding set pieces and inserting an energy boost late on.Having said all of this, there is no criticism of the club for bringing him in as he is certainly better than nothing and it looks like a reasonable bit of business so long as we are not committed to buying him in the summer.The issue of pace is something we really need to focus upon during the summer. I would say that Bennett is perhaps the quickest of our starting squad (Jackson rarely features) and he is not a real speed merchant. The impact that both Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain had when they came on last Saturday was a real demonstration about how pace is so essential in the PL.

For me Ruddy has to start, he is our number 1 for a reason. I know a lot is resting on this game, but in the end of the day, its Reading and there will not be a better opportunity to get Ruddy involved again this season.

Kei is an interesting one. Although a lot of people are saying his impact has dwindled of late, to an extent I agree. However against Arsenal I think he won every ball that came to him in the air. If we can get Holt/Becchio/anyone to link with him, that will be so valuable. This is why I think KK and RVW next year will be a great combo. But for Reading, I agree with the bench for him.

Hoolahan should start IMO. He''s had his rest, should be raring to go again now. And we all know how much he can damage a championship team like Reading.

My team will be: -

Ruddy
Martin, Turner, Bassong, Whittaker
Tetty, Johnson,
Snodders, Pilks
Hoolahan
Holt

Vazzza,I dont think KK will be here next year. If we stay up, there is clearly going to be a bit of a clear out and injection of quality.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Birchfest,

I would say that Bennett is perhaps the quickest of our starting squad (Jackson rarely features) and he is not a real speed merchant. [/quote]

I don''t think you''ll find too many players who would want to be in a race with Elliott Bennett.

GJP,re Elliot Bennett - perhaps you are right, but he seldom seems to beat a full back with pace in the same way that say Lennon, Bale, Walcott, Oxlade-Chaimberlain, Sterling or Dyer would. I am not syaing that he is slow, but that he is our only quickish player, and if we are going to make 4-5-1 work with hopefully RVW at the apex, we are going to need some real speed on the flanks. This is how Swansea are able to blend 4-5-1 in defence and 4-3-3 in attack. Not surprisingly, Liverpool are also trying to copy this formula. However, because of our lak of speed in attacking (both pace and speed of mind) we rarely seem to resemble 4-3-3 going forward. So for me, buying at least two very quick midfielders in the summer is a pre-requisite for us to play the counter attacking model which seem to be adopting

All the foot speed in the world is irrelevant when we take so many touches before making a pass (too often inaccurately)  more than a player with physical speed we need players with mental speed who can pass the ball quickly and accurately.    Currently only wes and fox squad are able to do that.    Sadly we have a central midfield who do their best work without the ball. 

As far as Kei is concerned - he may or may not be good enough for next season,  - however his performances as striker have been head and shoulders above the alternatives over the last couple of months,  so for me starts. 

I have mentioned this before and agree with many others, I don''t think hoolahan should be in the team.

He twists and turns and looks creative, but doesn''t actually create! Statistically he has the same creativity as bassong! Norwich need a 442 and kamara needs to stay in the team

Diamond formation anyone? A trip down memory lane? I would absolutely love this to happen as I think we could stuff Reading with this attacking intend, but probably far too adventurous for Hoots.

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bassong Whittaker

Johnson

Snodgrass Pilkington

Hoolahan

Becchio Holt

-----------------------Ruddy-------------------------

Martin------Turner-----Bassong-----Whittaker

---------------------Johnson-------------------------

-------Snodgrass------------Pilkington-----------

---------------------Hoolahan------------------------

-----------------Becchio-----Holt--------------------

[quote user="Josh"]Diamond formation anyone? A trip down memory lane? I would absolutely love this to happen as I think we could stuff Reading with this attacking intend, but probably far too adventurous for Hoots. Ruddy Martin Turner Bassong Whittaker Johnson Snodgrass Pilkington Hoolahan Becchio Holt[/quote]

Even Lambert was never that attacking - midfield would be compeltely overrun with Johnson trying to cover 3 or 4 players.

I personally feel a 4-2-3-1 would be the best option as it would allow Norwich to exert some control over the game. This is going to be a fairly nervy affair and an open game will only suit Reading. Put an extra man in midfield, try to dominate possession and Reading will crack sooner or later, it''s hardly like they have a solid defence.

VSUL,Again - agree with you. We need to beat Reading and shouldnt need to be set up as defensively as we were against Arsenal. KK is as good as we have got at the moment and we can worry about whether he stays or not when we are safe.

Bethnal,You are correct to mention Reading cracking. Lets forget, they simply have to throw the kitchen sink at this game. If other results go against them, it is possible that their relegation could be confirmed on Saturday (especially since their GD effectively means that they need 11 points just to reach safety). Consequently, I expect a very open and high scoring game similar to the Swansea match.

I really can''t believe people are praising Howson for the game against Arsenal, average at best and woefull in every other performance this season. A luxury we cannot afford a midfielder who offers nothing at either end of the pitch. Hopefully CH will bring back Wes and we wont have to rely on Howson to save us because that''s never going to happen.

What do people see in Becchio, was a cheep gamble which has not worked, I believe Becchio could play the rest of the games this season and not score!

As much as I liked the trade back in January he''s looked out of his depth.

Agree about Kamara''s pace, but that could be said of Jackson''s & Bennetts mythical pace. I wonder if you line them three up which would be the quickest?

Still think we need to set up with two up top, we need to win this, not to invite pressure onto us.

Ruddy

Martin  Turner  Bassong  Whittaker

Snodgrass  Tettey  Johnson Pilkington

Holt    Kamara

Subs: Bunn, Hoolahan, Garrido, Bennett, Howson, Jackson, Morris

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]GJP,

re Elliot Bennett - perhaps you are right, but he seldom seems to beat a full back with pace in the same way that say Lennon, Bale, Walcott, Oxlade-Chaimberlain, Sterling or Dyer would.

I am not syaing that he is slow, but that he is our only quickish player, and if we are going to make 4-5-1 work with hopefully RVW at the apex, we are going to need some real speed on the flanks. This is how Swansea are able to blend 4-5-1 in defence and 4-3-3 in attack. Not surprisingly, Liverpool are also trying to copy this formula. However, because of our lak of speed in attacking (both pace and speed of mind) we rarely seem to resemble 4-3-3 going forward. So for me, buying at least two very quick midfielders in the summer is a pre-requisite for us to play the counter attacking model which seem to be adopting
[/quote]

To be fair to Elliott Bennett when he is playing with confidence and gets a chance to have a run at someone he does cause problems. You''ve only got to look at our first goal against Swansea, absolutely superb pace from him to go beyond the fullback and put in a perfect cross.

But you''ve got to get him a chance to get in those positions and make those runs.

To me, after putting in a very decent performance against Swansea which included assists for both goals, he was very unlucky to be left out against Arsenal. Particularly when you consider that Snodgrass hasn''t quite been producing as much lately.

[quote user="Indy"]

What do people see in Becchio, was a cheep gamble which has not worked, I believe Becchio could play the rest of the games this season and not score!

Agree about Kamara''s pace, but that could be said of Jackson''s & Bennetts mythical pace. I wonder if you line them three up which would be the quickest?

Still think we need to set up with two up top, we need to win this, not to invite pressure onto us.

[/quote]

To be fair Becchio hasn''t really had a chance. He''s a decent player and a good goalscorer but it was quite clear from his brief playing time that he needed a bit longer to get used to playing with his new colleagues to know where people are around him and to know where to look for them.

But then Kei scored a goal and that has tipped it in his balance, even though Becchio is more proven at a better level than Kei is.

GJP,I do like Bennett, but he is clearly playing on full confidence and the manager doesnt seem to fancy him. If RVW leaks about our summer transfer policy come true, it looks like he could get even less game time next year. I have a theory that his best position may eventually be as an attacking right back. There was a game last season (cant remember which) in which lambo played him as an emergency right back and I think he looked like a natural. He could be our Baines/Rafael.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Indy"]

[/quote]

To be fair Becchio hasn''t really had a chance. He''s a decent player and a good goalscorer but it was quite clear from his brief playing time that he needed a bit longer to get used to playing with his new colleagues to know where people are around him and to know where to look for them.

But then Kei scored a goal and that has tipped it in his balance, even though Becchio is more proven at a better level than Kei is.

[/quote]

I feel Becchio and Holt are a bit too similar - they were almost standing on each others toes in the Everton game and it was probably a 50/50 who was subbed off (luckily Hughton made the right call, with Holt scoring the winner). Have been surprised with his lack of game time since then, but as Norwich generally play one up front there is little space for him.

I would happily see him in the starting line-up this Saturday - but Norwich would have to get the ball into the box a lot more to see the best of him. Reading are pretty much a Championship team in the Premier League and Becchio''s class against Championship level defenders is unquestionable.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Indy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The problem with Becchio is that he is not a natural fit with our system. As we are currently playing a very stretched 4-5-1 with deep holding midfielders, the key duty of our centre forward is to hold the ball up whilst the rest of the team moves up. Hughton has tried in the lone forward role and it is obvious that Becchio doesnt have the physical presence to hold the ball up. Neither, perhaps surprisingly, does Kamara which is why Hughton is persevering with a seemingly out of sorts Holt.Becchio seems to be an old fashioned ''fox in the box'' type player whose best position is probably playing alongside a ball winning forward in a 4-4-2 or possibly as a wide forward in a 4-3-3. With present resources, Hughton is unlikley to countenance the latter, but Becchio could come back into the team if Hughton is brave enough to go 4-4-2 for the must win game on Saturday.

[quote user="Indy"]

I believe Becchio could play the rest of the games this season and not score!

[/quote]

And that marks him our from the rest of our strikers in what way?  [;)]

As far as 2 up front is concerned its a proven failure for us - should be less of a risk against reading but why would we start with a formation that causes us problems and means we conceed more goals?

I would start with just KK up front.   I feel he has been more involved and influential than Grant since he joined the club and just offers us a little bit more at the mo

And some quick analysis courtsey of whoscored appears to confirm my thoughts.    The table below is based on the games since Kei joined (Fulham was his debut).

Interestingly perhaps we should start Lucciano.   As with Whittaker (until last week) is is unbeaten on his starts (1 win, 1 draw)   Perhaps a lucky charm is needed (although as with whittaker is probably more coincidence than anything) 

GrantKei
Mins404458
App4(3)5(3)
Goals11
Assist01
Shots410
S On target33
Touches151273
Passes100144
Pass %55%61%
Key Pass21
Headers won1238

I like the look of that - I''ll probably get shot down for saying we looked dangerous without Hoolahoop against Arsenal - and we can always bring him on later in the game!

Plus, I want to see Becchio get a game!

To those re: Bennett - the thing I like about him is that doesn''t HAVE to beat the fullback to get a good cross into the box. The problem is because of only playing one up top, a lot of the time those crosses are to no-one!