Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Brigham

Can Norwich handle the pressure?

Here''s my latest blog for the Pinkun - can Norwich handle the pressure of the must-win game against Reading? It''s not about getting stuck in, it''s about keeping a calm head. You can read it here if you have a spare minute!

Good piece.

Agree that we need cool heads and our inability (back to Fulham 8 years ago) to deal with pressure games is my main concern over each of the next four crucial but winnable matches.

Time for a hero to step forward.

I fail to see how a result at Fulham 8 years ago has any bearing on our next few games. Unless it really is all Delia''s fault because she is about the only thing remaining from that fateful day at Craven Cottage.

And have we not played any pressure matches since? In the last 4 seasons we have spent 2 in the top flight and been promoted twice, we must be some team to do all that with no pressure games.

Fulham in 2005 is no more relevant than the 1959 cup run to our fate this season.

Good read, as usual, but I also ask myself the following:

Can Wigan handle the pressure? Can Aston Villa handle the pressure? Can Su ..... get the message?

Thinking about it, I deduce that we are better equipped than most to handle the next few weeks. Wigan haven the added demands of a cup final to deal with, Aston Villa have a reknown soft underbelly due to inexperience, Stoke are in freefall and IMO have a few in their squad who are not the best of fighters, whilst Sunderland have Paulo DiCanio.   

We will have a few battlers out there on Saturday and, despite recent negatives, would wish that they be led by Grant Holt in what might well turn out to be a memorable swansong.  

Now whether or not I can handle the pressure is another matter. [B][B]

Broadstairs: I was planning on discussing the other teams but didn''t want to bang on for too long! I think Villa will be OK - Lambert showed his excellent man-management skills when Villa beat Reading and QPR in successive massive games. Stoke, however, look clueless. No fight and no finesse.

Interesting article. There is indeed a line between motivating players and not getting them over-hyped. Coaches of teams in FA Cup semi-finals often talk about trying to keep their players grounded and encouraging them to go out and treat it like any other game, i.e. don''t let the occasion get to you.The Swansea game was a good example because it showed a team that initially didn''t show up (due to nerves?). Which then woke up and played well to get into a winning position. But then went back into their shell to allow the opposition back into the game.We could well see all of this again in the coming games.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Good read, as usual, but I also ask myself the following:  Can Wigan handle the pressure? Can Aston Villa handle the pressure? Can Su ..... get the message? Thinking about it, I deduce that we are better equipped than most to handle the next few weeks. Wigan haven the added demands of a cup final to deal with, Aston Villa have a reknown soft underbelly due to inexperience, Stoke are in freefall and IMO have a few in their squad who are not the best of fighters, whilst Sunderland have Paulo DiCanio.   We will have a few battlers out there on Saturday and, despite recent negatives, would wish that they be led by Grant Holt in what might well turn out to be a memorable swansong. 

Now whether or not I can handle the pressure is another matter. [B][B]

[/quote]

This is more to the point.   Can the fans handle the situation?   Are we going to be positive and try to help the team get over the line or are we going to be nervous nellies, so tense that we spoil it for the team?    I''ve got every confidence the team can handle pressure situations, but can we?

The fans have done this more times than these players, I''m sure we can handle the pressure LDC.

I don''t think there is any pressure on the team yet, I think this weekend will put pressure on them if they don''t win!

Good read though and tend to hope that we can put this ghost to rest by beating Reading tomorrow, letting the crowed and team enjoy the final few games of the season.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]

I fail to see how a result at Fulham 8 years ago has any bearing on our next few games.

[/quote]

From a logical sense you are of course right.

However these sorts of patterns are illogical;    why are england teams generally so poor at penalties in tournaments?   and why have we only won 1 game at man citeh (our record at fulham is nearly as bad)  in something like 40-50 years when the players, owners, managers and fans have changed?  It has not logical but it happens.

From a promotion going well sense we have done well in "must win" pressure games,  but when we need something our record recently has been poor - unable to explain why because it illogical.   We have the chance to break that cycle tomorrow and I see now logical reason why we wont. 

and despite your attempts to troll this into a anti owner thread its certainly no dig at any person at the club that day or now - that was clearly not the point I was making.

Its not a last day of the season type preasure that can make players freeze! This almost has a Derby day feel to it, its a real match of significance and one that Id imagine alot of the players at the club would really want to be part of, some players respond well to this kind of occasion as it were; Holt I think being the biggest example. I do understand why the club is trying to get the fans worked up, its to help add to this sense of occasion and make it less a nervous looking below and around us feel, to a Derby day/cup final feel that will help the players step up for the occasion!

Well this game is about as unpressured as the team (and us) have any right to expect:

1. Reading have the worst away record in the division.

2. They are bottom.

3. They have recently changed their manager who has had minimal effect unlike Dicanio at Sunderland.

4. They are not mathematically down, but know that they are almost certainly down, so they need to win and won''t hang back.

5. Because of point 5 they won''t be on a relaxed, expansive, enjoy your football end of season dangerous mode.

6. They are away and we will have another full house.

7. The only teams we have lost to at home in the league have been Chelsea, Man City, and Liverpool.

8. They have lost 7 out of their last 8 league games.

9. Our team will be fired by a sense of massive injustice from last week.

10. They have conceded an average of exactly 2 goals per game away from home.

If, in these circumstances, we don''t get that vital win, we are truly in a bad way and everything that shock jock on Talksport has been saying will have been right. So how, really, does this amount to pressure??

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Warren Hill"]

I fail to see how a result at Fulham 8 years ago has any bearing on our next few games.

[/quote]

From a logical sense you are of course right.

However these sorts of patterns are illogical;    why are england teams generally so poor at penalties in tournaments?   and why have we only won 1 game at man citeh (our record at fulham is nearly as bad)  in something like 40-50 years when the players, owners, managers and fans have changed?  It has not logical but it happens.

From a promotion going well sense we have done well in "must win" pressure games,  but when we need something our record recently has been poor - unable to explain why because it illogical.   We have the chance to break that cycle tomorrow and I see now logical reason why we wont. 

and despite your attempts to troll this into a anti owner thread its certainly no dig at any person at the club that day or now - that was clearly not the point I was making.

[/quote]

It happens. But it''s only a pattern because people are being selective. Tangie brought up Palace in 1973. Where does that fit the pattern? Or Bristol City in 1977. Or Huddersfield in 1998. Or QPR in 2008.  I suggest there is no real pattern apart from selecting the seasons we got relegated to find one.

The obvious difference with Fulham 8 years ago was that we hadn''t won away all season and were relying on a win to stay up. Something we were never going to do. I don''t think all the players that day were massively bothered with regards us staying up as many wanted to move on anyway.

Worthington had also probably gone beyond his level as manager and was way out of his depth in the PL.

With this side I think we can handle the pressure but haven''t been a fan of the way we have setup at times this season. I still don''t think we will win again this season, but looking at Wigan''s fixtures, I think they will struggle.

[quote user="Daniel Brigham"]Here''s my latest blog for the Pinkun - can Norwich handle the pressure of the must-win game against Reading? It''s not about getting stuck in, it''s about keeping a calm head. You can read it here if you have a spare minute! [/quote]

Its not the club I am concerned about - its the supporters!!!

People like your good self are ramping up the pressure and stress which other supporters are feeding on.

The Reading match IS NOT a must win. If we loose the next two matched THEN and only THEN it MIGHT be a must win and only if other teams pick up points.

The concern on this board is so far from the reality that we, Norwich City, are ABOVE the relegation zone and in a position that is better than some expected. We are not in a relagation scrap, we are cruising to the riches of a new season in the premier league.

I am getting frustrated with many supporters, including family members, who are so down on our beloved NCFC. I am dreading going to the match on Saturday as I will, again, have to put up with the hegative rantings of unsuportive so called NCFC and, again, end up having another argument over what supporting your team is about.

But I will be there shouting louder and over them as the rant away until they shut up and get behind the team.

Great end to a Great season with glimpses of what is to come next year with the new manpower that will be bought in.

Rant over.

Zipper, I was hardly trolling, merely pointing out that the only common factor between Fulham away 8 years ago and the end of this season is the majority shareholders.

The players, the board, the manager, the kit we play in, the balls we play with(ahem).....all different.

I see this game as similar to the Derby match two years ago. Not essential to win but a huge step if we do. If it takes another Simeon moment for an injury time winner then it too will go down in legend.

It was after that game that we really believed we would be promoted even though it was not certain. The same level of belief could be ours tomorrow evening.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]I see this game as similar to the Derby match two years ago. Not essential to win but a huge step if we do. If it takes another Simeon moment for an injury time winner then it too will go down in legend. It was after that game that we really believed we would be promoted even though it was not certain. The same level of belief could be ours tomorrow evening.[/quote]

Actually I was thinking about that game too.  A win tomorrow would give us confidence and momentum which would probably be enough to see us home.

I guess it''s worth remembering how close the margins are.  Against Derby when they equalized, and 90 minutes came around I really thought it wouldn''t happen.  Still remember the feeling when Simo managed to bundle the ball home.  It could all have been so different - would we still have been promoted ?