Sign in to follow this  
Skerritt

Staying up.

When it''s done and not a moment before, but this makes things a bit more comfortable [:)]

Assuming Villa lose at Utd tomorrow, remembering that Wigan v Villa is last game lf season, we ate virtually there now I would say.

1 more win to make 100% sure please :)

Yes we are staying up, would need wigan to win all their remaining games now to overtake us as we will certainly add to our tally.

Draw at stoke, win over villa and a draw with wba is my prediction and the nailed on defeat at man.c

Tht would be 43 points, with wigan on 31 now they would need 4 wins and a draw from their last five.

Bye bye wigan

We might well just agree to a draw with Stoke before kick off. Not literally, but i can''t see there being the urgency there might well have been there.

We are four points off ninth place. As the Board realised at the New Year, we have hardly been at risk all season which is why they held off buying RVW until the summer and saved us a whole chunk of money.

Good poker player is our Mr McNally.

Was always confident we would stay up but I was expecting a bit of a scrappy fight to the end. We can now hopefully get a couple more good results (and send Villa down) now that a little bit of pressure has been lifted

Hu hum. Can I remind you all that Mr. Hughton said forty points was the target for survival and also about mathematics and all that.

Good feeling though, the one denied us to a certain extent last week.

Being petty-minded, I would desperately like those three points to come against Villa.

Ehhh..

Dont count your chickens.

If we lose at Stoke, which is highly possible, and Wigan beat Swansea, who are at the beach already, in their game in hand,it is only 4p.

Agreed, it is looking better for us, but I certainly did not like Stoke and Sunderland winning.

It was us,Stoke and Sunderland before these fixs. I would seriously be worried if i were a Newcastle or Villa fan today. Seeing those results come in must have been a right kick in the sack.

A couple of weeks ago I predicted that Wigan would get 34 points in total. I''m even more confident of that prediction now. Whether it''s Villa, Wigan or any of the others below us to go down in 18th place I couldn''t care less just so long as we stay up.

CH''s worth will then be demonstrated to one and all by the summer signings to join RVW and Garrido.

[quote user="Skerritt"]All you worriers can calm down now. We are staying up.[/quote]...So that now means mathematically we can no longer get relegated...this is fantastic news. Has anybody got Van Winkle''s agents mobile number to let him know so he can calm down about this issue surrounding his player''s contractual clause!

Wigan are still the sticking point.  If...and its a big if, I know, they win their game in hand we would only be four points ahead of them.  It is still in the melting pot, although we are now in pole position.    Don''t forget if we are only three points ahead on the last day we would more than likely need to get something at Man City.   That said, we will more than likely pick up some more points, but its still all to play for all teams from 13th place downwards.  Wigan won''t have given up, that''s for sure. 

We''re not quite safe yet, but Wigan definitely have to pull a rabbit out of a hat. After Spurs at home, they''ve got 5 games in 16 days. Including Swansea mid-week before the cup-final, and have to play Villa after a mid-week game with Arsenal.Having said that, they''ll probably do over Spurs next week just to prove me wrong :-P

April 2013

Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status
Premier League

West Ham 2-0 Wigan

Sat 20 Apr Full time Report

Premier League

Wigan V Tottenham

Sat 27 Apr 15:00

May 2013

Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status
Premier League

West Brom V Wigan

Sat 4 May 15:00
Premier League

Wigan V Swansea

Tue 7 May 19:45
FA Cup - Final

Man City V Wigan

Sat 11 May 17:15
Premier League

Arsenal V Wigan

Tue 14 May 19:45
Premier League

Wigan V Aston Villa

Sun 19 May 16:00

in May, Wigan have to play 5 games in 15 days, including the cup final. their fitness during these matches will be a major worry to them, and any injuries will have no time to heal. very small chance of them escaping the drop this season.

in the unlikely event we are this close to the relegation zone at this sort of stage next season (or even more so, as close as we were before todays game) Wigan staying up is probably the better result for us. Villa will be a much strong team, with players like Benteke, Weimann, that FB, Delph even and a couple others really coming on as the season has developed. Plus those players are all young and very much developing.

Whereas Wigan have yet again failed to capitalise on another season in the PL by pushing on and finishing safely, and face possibly the hardest escape they have faced, with a FA Cup final thrown in to distract the players. Next season they will have European football, even if its only qualifiers it still forces them to start competitive football earlier. It hasn''t ever really benefited the teams in the lower half of the league, Newcastle & Stoke come to mind.

Just one the predictor.

Giving Villa a defeat against Man Utd and a win against Sunderland it gives Norwich the opportunity to play a massive part in relegating them.

I have given Norwich a draw at Stoke which means Villa couldn''t relegate us by beating us. I have the game as a draw but beating illa would leave them on 38 points and relegated ahead of Newcastle on goal difference.

Newcastle have a lot of Lonon games where they traditionally do badly.

Wigan survive by beating Villa on the final day.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]in the unlikely event we are this close to the relegation zone at this sort of stage next season (or even more so, as close as we were before todays game) Wigan staying up is probably the better result for us. Villa will be a much strong team, with players like Benteke, Weimann, that FB, Delph even and a couple others really coming on as the season has developed. [/quote]dont agree re Wigan... they are used to scrapping it out... you want a team full of good players, but with no stomach for a fight whatsoever.. EG Villa/Newcastle... they are the ones who will spectacularly ''sh*t out'' for want of a better term.. remember Leeds?