Sign in to follow this  
AJ

The Youth Team: A bright future ahead

Firstly, seeing the thread at the top of the page about the Murphy''s made me rather angry, the lads are all under 18, and are in the final of the F.A. Youth Cup, surely they''re doing something right?

I had watched the previous leg on TV, and went down tonight to show my support.

Norwich started the game with plenty of intent to play some decent possession football. We played some great close and one touch passing through the middle, with number 4 showing a good range of passing at times. At the back number 6 shone as a composed left sided centre half. How nice it is to see a naturally left footed player in that position, his distribution was good, he ran into the midfield to start off some passing moves, and his defending was top notch with players rarely beating him to the ball. Certainly my MOTM.

Sadly for the city kids, the goal was conceded after a corner was poorly cleared. It was one of those where you just hit it, and if it goes in you''re a hero. Sadly for city, it went in. From then on city piled forward and it was only that final ball that was missing, with City''s number 9 pulling off some deft touches, and holding up the ball as well as Iwan did in his prime.

The Murphy''s looked threatening, but clearly their youth is showing a bit. They just miss that killer instinct, and a bit hesitant in their play. Number 11 often showing too much of the ball before trying to make a move. I was very impressed with number 7 though.

Sadly for city the breakthrough never came, and Forrest threatened a few times with a few good blocks from city defenders, and a good save from the ''keeper from a 1-on-1.

After half time, and a hoard of dodgy refereeing, city were reduced to 10 men. I must say, given the circumstances, the boys kept their shape very well, still managing to hold the majority of possession for long periods, and breaking forward when they could.

After the red card though, with both sides hardly testing the opposing ''keepers penalty''s loomed. It was even stevens until the city keeper guessed right and palmed Forrest''s third penalty around the post. Despite a ridiculous crazy run-up from the Norwich number 8, his shot had enough power to fly into the roof of the net to send Carrow Road into euphoria.

On the show of it, Norwich were by far the better side. Neil Adam''s has got them playing some very good football. I was especially impressed with the way they kept the ball, and aside of some limited movement at times, several openings were created that could have led to goals.

Given their age and lack of experience, the quality of football on show was impressive. The city defence looked solid and cultured, passing the ball around nicely and working well with the midfield. The Murphy''s are obviously the highlight of the wings, but as previously mentioned, a little honing which will come with their development will make them into match winners. They''ve clearly got the ability and the skill to be really good players in the future, and with Neil Adams in control I honestly think they will develop into the players we hope they will become.

The player that caught my eye the most though, was Carlton Morris, the big number nine. He chest down some unbelievable balls, and played many deft touches to keep hold of the ball well. Especially playing over an hour on his own up top, kept the ball very well.

Say what you want about the youth team, but don''t put them down for not being mini-Huckerby''s, most of them aren''t even 18 yet. And those who went to the game tonight will, I''m sure, agree with me that the future is very bright for the youth academy and city''s future.

Big shout out to all who turned up tonight, we''ll do it all again next month for the home leg of the final!

Completely agree with everything you said.

I don''t know why everyone is raging over the murphy twins, because I thought they played pretty well. They made some unbelievable runs but just couldn''t pass or shoot at that vital time. It''s something I''m sure Adams will have a talk with them about.

Some of their dribbles and tricks you wouldn''t even expect to be pulled off by the wingers in our first team. They have some brilliant technical skill.

MOTM for me was Morris. Like you said a Iwan like player who had some excellent knock downs, tackles and passes. Hasn''t got a bad shot either.

Yes, this is definitely one of the better groups of lads we''ve had in recent times. Massive effort from them tonight and they deserved to go through.

I was very impressed by Carlton Morris last week but tonight MOTM would have to go to Harry Toffolo. He defended solidly at the back, was excellent with his distribution and stepped up to take a fine penalty.

Excellent performance, some of the team will definitely have good careers in professional football.

Well done to them all and to Neil Adams.

Might be a bit churlish, but it would it would be nice to see a bit of passion from Neil on the touchline, perhaps Paulo De Canio could give him lessons!

I liked the look of the left back as well, Wyatt I think hes called.

First leg he was superb, had a quiter game in the 2nd leg but still played well.

Gets forward well, composed and good passer. Keep it up lad well done.

The murphy twins are the most frustrating to watch. Superb runs and dribbles keep their head up to see whats going on but theybalwaysbseem to try and take on one too many.

They are young, and with Adams im sure they will fully develop their game. Really exciting prospescts.

Morris was superb as said, disapointed he didnt score with the header or knock it down for the lad next to him. He had two very good games though. Maybe season after next a season of league two football would do him the world of good.

Tofolo looks a gem.

Exciting times looking forward to the final.

"Might be a bit churlish, but it would it would be nice to see a bit of passion from Neil on the touchline, perhaps Paulo De Canio could give him lessons!"

Hmm.  I think with 10 testosterone driven teenage lads already feeling hard done by the thing they most needed was Adams''s calming presence rather than the influence of someone who''s idea of reacting to adversity is to shove the ref to the ground.

Actually what I did feel Adams should have done was subbed Norman straight after his first booking (harsh or not) because to be honest that Forest lad was causing him some problems all night, and several of their players were going to ground very easily.  It seemed to me very unlikely he could go through to full time and extra time if needed without committing another foul.  But don''t forget that it was also the biggest game of Adams''s career as a coach/manager so far.

I agree with others that Toffolo was immense, as was Gorman at the back for Forest.  In fact Forest were a very competent team and their fans must feel very positive about the future.  They managed to swarm round the Murphys and Morris and make it difficult for them to link up.  Even when the wingers used their tricks to find some space their defence cut down the options very quickly.

Morris is only a first year scholar so I doubt if he''ll be out in to league football just yet as someone suggested; Wyatt likewise.  It''s good though that they''ll be around to (hopefully!) defend the trophy.

Surprised by the ''lack'' of comment on the captain, number four, who''s name escapes me currently. Thought he was brilliant, clearly tired towards the end, but before that a nice range of passing. Got stuck in, organised the team well. Really suited the captaincy. And decent footballer.

On Tuesdays showing it really looks like we have a few players who could make it to a fairly decent level, if not with us in the PL, then in the Championship. Although I do think there is definitely potentially in a few of those players to be PL quality. But its always nice (for me anyway) to see former Norwich players doing well, especially if they are from the academy (or ''long term'' players, not necessarily from the youth set up)