Sign in to follow this  
Becchio the magnifico

FA Youth Cup - murphys

Much has been said about the dynamic duo, but having watched them over the two legs, there no more promising than the Jarvis brothers. Quick, skillful, but greedy with poor awareness of other options, norwich could have won this game if the Murphy''s just passed it after taking on every player, only simple passes required but not once has that final ball arrived. Talent there, but need to stop showing off, and start playing the simple ball. Frustrating to watch because of their will to beat 4 at a time

This site is beginning to get ridiculous

Cant believe so called fans are now taking the opportunity to just slag off a couple of young players.

They both look like good prospects to me ,yes still plenty to learn, but they need encouragement and support.

Hope the crowd on Saturday support the team as well as the crowd there tonight and certainly better than some of the people on here

It''s no wonder youth players usually play behind closed doors, they''d have zero confidence unless they were the next Wayne Rooney.

[quote user="alartz"]They need coaching in the final part of their game. Piss poor end product[/quote]

No not over impressed, they need to learn that their are 11 men in the team and learn how to pass the ball properly and not go on a full frontle attack single handed

[quote user="rock bus"]This site is beginning to get ridiculous

Cant believe so called fans are now taking the opportunity to just slag off a couple of young players.

They both look like good prospects to me ,yes still plenty to learn, but they need encouragement and support.

Hope the crowd on Saturday support the team as well as the crowd there tonight and certainly better than some of the people on here[/quote]Agreed, its unbelievable.From what I saw tonight I''m starting to see why they are hyped. They definitely do need to work on their decision making but it''ll be easier to teach them that than teach other players how to take on players at speed like they can.

[:^)]

I thought that they were superb throughout. What fabulous prospects to have signed on for our Club already and with one or two others to come I would hope.

Plenty of time to shave the rough edges, but nice to see raw talent on show in the yellow.

Can''t believe what I''m reading here. Yes, they''re a bit raw round the edges & they''ve still got a lot to learn but what you don''t want to do is knock all the talent out of them by over coaching them and being critical. Give them time for heavens sake, they''re only young yet.

If you aren''t trolling, you need to have a serious look at yourselves. THEY''RE SEVENTEEN YEARS OLD for christs sake.

Are they really likely to be the perfect footballer at 17? Still obviously have a lot to learn, but a pair of wonderful prospects. As well as Harry Toffolo, RHJ and Ben Wyatt. We have a lot of talent in that squad.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Can''t believe what I''m reading here. Yes, they''re a bit raw round the edges & they''ve still got a lot to learn but what you don''t want to do is knock all the talent out of them by over coaching them and being critical. Give them time for heavens sake, they''re only young yet. [/quote]This this this FFS what a load of horse shite...AGAIN.

From the Oxford English Dictionary - "SUPPORT - enable to last out; give strength to; encourage".

Just for the first three posters on this thread.

Their decision making is either not good or too slow yes.. BUT this is an experience thing as much as anything.

Cast your minds back to when Ronaldo signed for Utd. I can barely recall him passing EVER! Now he knows when to pass and when to run.

These lads are still only 17 and will learn this as they go out on loan and play in professional leagues. Plus yes there were TV cameras and that may have affected them slightly, but again that''s an experience thing.

The fact is players only play at 17 in the Premier League if they are exceptional and early bloomers. These lads may not be exceptional now but still have 6/7/8 years to grow and develop.

They are excellent talents who still have some development to do, that is standard but if you expect them to suddenly be getting 10-12 assists a season in the PL from next year, then you''re mad.

My last point.... How many times does Wes take it one step too far? And how many still moan when he is not playing...?

Great prospects, they clearly have ability and that certain something, but obviously need to continue to be well coached in their decision-making and Neil Adams is the ideal guy for that. Of course they might not make it but they, and several others, have a decent chance.

Oh great let''s start whinging and whining about some young 17 year old players who tonight were playing in the biggest game so far of their fledgling careers,in front of TV cameras,on the biggest pitch they will have ever played on and in front of the biggest crowd to have seen any of them play.

There really are some complete bell ends on here.What were you expecting to see.......Ronaldo,Messi maybe RVP ? [:@]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Oh great let''s start whinging and whining about some young 17 year old players who tonight were playing in the biggest game so far of their fledgling careers,in front of TV cameras,on the biggest pitch they will have ever played on and in front of the biggest crowd to have seen any of them play.

There really are some complete bell ends on here.What were you expecting to see.......Ronaldo,Messi maybe RVP ? [:@]

[/quote]

And they''re multiplying by the day....

Premier league, quarter finals league cup, final fa youth cup. Try enjoying it...

The Murphy twins normally play their ''league'' matches for the Development squad where they have a ton of goals and assists between them. They have stepped down to the under-18 FA cup matches where much of the successful run has been down to them. Quite frankly without them we could scratch the under-18 FA cup run, the Norfolk Senior Cup and at least half of our Development Squad victories.

Their attacks were exciting, especially those by Josh, who regularly had two or three players on him, but I think that Becchio is right. The Murphy lads move at such pace they don''t seem to have time to pick out team mates to pass to, and found themselves reguarly on the bye-line with little idea of what to do except blast it accross the goal.

I think that they are great prospects, and they did make one or two passes in midfield to show that they can pass. When they have added shooting and delivery to their arsenal they will be top players.

I suppose it''s only natural. The Jarvis''s have come and gone, Chris Martin has all but gone so our ''supporters'' have got to switch to different local players to complain about.

There always seem to be people who are never happier than when putting the boot in.

Shall we give these young men the chance to develop and improve?

Apparently not.

This site is full of people with contrasting opinions as this thread reveals.

I will say that I was not impressed on thier choices last night and Forrest played as a team our front line played as STARS!

There is no doubt the Murphy boys have bags of potential and showed it last night, but they need to learn that there are 9 other players in yellow shirts who are there too.

Norwich could have been 3-4 up by half time had they actually played in the team.

That said how can anyone write them off as they hold the ball well under a challenege, bags of pace and at 17 will be shaped up over the next few years.

Lots to improve on but lots to be positive about.

I think its great that they''ve got the joie de vivre in their hearts and game to play the way they do-credit to the club, the staff and to Neil Adams for not coaching it out of them and turning them into mindless midfield drones who are ten a penny at every level-and we''ve had a few...

Yes of course they need some discipline and tactical awareness in their game-that''ll come. But, as someone has already said, it''ll be easier to bring that into their game than to "teach" them some of the skills and pace that they already have. Mix the raw talent with some playing nous and they could turn out to be very handy indeed.

The young Darren Eadie was all "get the ball, head down and run as fast as you can" -but that part of his game was refined as he got into the first team. Christ, even Aaron Lennon was still running into dead ends not so long ago, his game has come on in leaps and bounds only this season. These are two lads who are 17, they haven''t stopped growing yet! Let them play for the fun of it and for the love of the game, there''ll be plenty of opportunity for them to fall out of it in the years to come-its up to them. I hope they make it and I hope its with us. Its as tough as hell to progress from even a FA Youth Cup Final side to a successful career in the game-three did with us from our 1983 winning side and none of them were the ones everyone expected to make it! Goss, Spearing and Donowa all had decent careers but it was Rigby, Crowe and Clayton of whom big things were expected.

Give them a chance FFS, get behind them and the club, please.

I think this thread shows that a lot of people don''t often watch youth football.

Youth teams generally have a pretty wide range in abilities, certainly more so than the senior teams - this is reflected in the fact that many of those on show will not make it into pro-football.

When you have two players with the obvious quality of Josh and Jacob, in going past a player or creating something out of nothing, as a manager you basically say to them ''go win it by yourselves''. Most 18 year old players can''t hit a perfect cross, first time, whilst under pressure (most senior players can''t either) and creating goal scoring chances is the hardest thing to do in the game. Many youth goals are the direct result of an error from another player, what struck me about both the Norwich games was the distinct lack of mistakes from either team (a large part of the reason why it was such a tight couple of games).

I knew people would be railing against the ''lack of end product'' or ''forgetting they are part of a team'' but unfortunately for the twins in a lot of the chances they had, there weren''t a huge amount of options for them. If you watch the highlights of the Everton game (and various other youth team games) a lot of Norwich''s goals come from a Murphy low drilled cross to the near post and a striker making a good run and scoring from about a yard out. The fact Loza has so many goals this season is pretty much down to the twins.

Are they ready for the Prem yet? Nope. But I think given a loan spell at a League One team they could be a fairly successful. You have to ask the question that who at QPR felt the Murphys weren''t worth keeping on and allowed them to transfer to Norwich?

They are the most likely prospects to make it to come out of our academy for quite some time because they have that priceless combination of pace and technique which takes you an awfully long way in professional football.

Yes they need to develop their awareness and decision making and that is no doubt what our coaches will be working very hard on over the next couple of years to prepare them for a crack at the first team. Maybe a spell or two out on loan next season playing with older, stronger players might benefit them.

In the meantime I don;t think threads on the internet criticising our brightest young prospects are particularly helpful to anyone.

Sounds like there are a few people on here who have never coached young players or older players for that matter.

So I shall try and just keep it to things we all know.

The Murphey''s did hold onto the ball at times last night, but I felt in a lot of occasions it was because they got forward faster than their team mates and had to hold play up before putting in a delivery.

I very much liked that they were prepared to be direct, use either foot, as well as go to the line and cross, stay out wide as well as cut inside. Very skillful players.

To me they have more potential than the Jarvis'' but it is hard to compare two wingers to a striker and a holding midfielder.

Lastly in regards to their final ball, most of the time, as said they only really had Morris to aim for (who is also a really neat and tidy player along with the centre back whose name escapes me). When Man Utd signed Christiano Ronaldo he couldn''t cross for fudge, free kicks were a liability, but what he did have was pace and skill and a natural footballing sort of sense.

Clearly the Murphey''s have that, they spot gaps between players and exploit them. But one thing for me that was most impressive is that they are both ''team'' players, they used the overlap and then covered and got stuck in, tracked back.

It will stand them in good stead but only time will tell in terms of how well they progress from this point onwards. They need to be free of pressure and allowed to develop, perhaps with loans away at senior teams - although not quite yet.

I always think that these sorts of players need to be with us until 18/19 then loaned out for a couple of seasons, like Ryan Bertrand, to get a good couple of seasons of being a pro under their belt.

I was very impressed with them both.  I felt they did a lot better last night in their team contribution while we still had 11 on the pitch, and also individually.

After we went down to 10 men, they did try to do it on their own more, which was probably because they had less support around them.

But to criticize them as some have done for decision making etc is frankly ludicrous for two 17 year olds playing in front of 10,000 and on TV.

Have some of you not got anything better to do than slag off a couple of kids, doing what they love in front of great crowds and the TV camera''s? How many games have you watched them play before the last 2 that were on TV?

You can forgive them for wanting to impress on the big stage and sometimes giving the ball away!

For me they are very impressive players. Full of confidence, their distribution to each other (40 year cross field balls) is fantastic, they can ghost past defenders. Give them some support!

Jeez!