Sign in to follow this  
Hackedoff

R Martin

Newspaper report Vile are ready to make a £3m bid for him. As much as i like Martin i would bite their hands off for that.

Martin is one of my favourite players but I would take £3m for him. We''ve got Whittaker who is streets ahead IMO.

"As much as i like Martin i would bite their hands off for that.""Martin is one of my favourite players but I would take £3m for him."

Do you ever listen to yourselves?Captain in waiting, never lets us down, versatile, scores goals, , model professional, can play anywhere on the pitch.   Yes, lets "get rid".

Be surprised if he wants to go as he seems very settled and plays regularly.

Also, even if he did, we would have to replace him and £3m for an international who plays regularly in the Premsounds low to me.

Well Hughton doesn''t think Whittaker is streets ahead of him clearly. And streets ahead is way way way over the top in my opinion. Maybe he is better, personally I don''t think he''s really much different. A bit more fluent in attack, but then from what i''ve seen Martin seems better in defence, and is a threat from set pieces when needed.

£3 million may or may not be fair. No idea what a PL RB of his age and ability is worth really, but he''s been first choice for the majority of the season, firstly down to injury (to Whittaker), then back in because of injury to Whittaker again, but has kept his place for a fair few games since he''s been fit again. Maybe today is the day he''ll be dropped since Whittaker got a chance last week at LB.

If we sell him, we''ll need a replacement. And then definitely another CB. And RVW said we were interested in those 3 attacking players. Many on here think we''ll be after another CM as well. Buying Garrido and potentially another CB. Needing a RB on top of that could be a little to much to ask, unless someone good enough is available on loan as back up.

It would need to be closer to 5 million to make it worth accepting IMHO.The competition between Whittaker and Russ can only be good for both of them, and it also means we have a good player available even if injuries and suspensions occur.If we sold Russ for 3 million, can we get a similar quality replacement for the same money or less? If not, then it becomes somewhat pointless selling to begin with...

No, no, no.

Why even consider selling one of our stalwarts when we won''t need the money and besides for an that is amount  small fry in the grander scheme of things should we stay safe?

Daft idea. The Whittaker comparison is not on and might I remind that SW happened to spend sometime injured this season and, as with any player, could again in the future. Might I also remind of Martin''s value as a central defender  defender to the extent that he is considered by many to be the first replacement in that position.

Russell Martin, at 27, is in his prime, has proved himself to be of Premiership quality and is endowed with character sufficient to make him the favourite for both team and club captain once Holt departs. A massive gap would open up both in the squad and at the Club should we lose him. Why risk it?

We have developed RM into what he is today so why hand him over to Lambert for a paltry £3m?

Awful idea. IMO. Selling him on in such a way is Championship thinking.

No way, if only for his versatility and the fact he''s a fantastic leader or us. Can''t believe people would snap their hand off. Especially on the basis that if we stay up we''re hardly going to need 3 million paid to us over the course of the year are we? (unlikely to be in one go).

Would not sell him at all.

As stated above, would mean we''d have to get another RB and CB in as cover/first team, and you won''t be able to get the quality needed for that for £3 million.

He''s one our leaders in the squad, would be an awful move to sell

It''ll be his agent stirring things up a bit, just in case we get relegated and Villa don''t.

Totally agree with that Prozac.

I think it''s more likely that we take Lowton off them for 3M, than selling Rusty for the same price!

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]Martin for me is one of those players that is worth more to a club than the figure we would get for him. He was also a cornerstone of our meteoric rise.[/quote]Unequivocally, this.

We don''t need money at the moment and Martin is a possible contender for player of the year IMO. I would never sell him. Whittaker was injured for a long time this season and may be injury prone.

Here''s part of the spine of our success here. A great player with a great attitude, definitely replaced Drury as Mr Dependable!

Not for 3 million, no way. He''s worth a lot more to us than that

Would hate to see him go unless a seriously stupid bid was made for him. He is one of those rare players that never let us down regardless of where he plays. Having him on the pitch is having an extra captain.

He is so much more than just his performances on the pitch. As showed throughout this week, his interviews and influence on others (as has been mentioned by several players) are something you can''t put a price on.

A genuine leader and pivotal to where we are and staying here.

Lol @ Mr Brownstone

Whether we sell him or not, I have immense respect for him as someone who Peterborough thought wasn''t good enough for the Championship. Bet they feel a bit sheepish now.

I think hell would freeze over before David McNally sells any of our players to Villa.Lambert may as well make a bid for the tea lady.

I would bite your hands off for 3 million pounds.

However I wouldn''t sell Russell Martin for twice that.

This is a totally mental board full of clueless idiots.

Intenational capped, Captain of the future,chips in with goals, solid as a rock team player who loves living local (ive spoken to him in Mulbarton and he loves it) and you reckon ship him out in out for £3M? Sort your lives out please... we have Whittaker as back uo (also v. good) and for the first time in age we have a decent defensive group. YEAH LETS SELL HIM OFF.!!!!

Idiots.