Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Canary

The Clear Out To Begin

With RVW coming in Midfield is where we need to focus, we need to improve the supply so the strikers spend less time hunting for the ball and more time in the danger areas, that was how we scored so many last season.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]I think that we should keep Surman. At times his link up play with the likes of Hoolahan and Pilkington has made us unplayable. He''s been unlucky with injuries but he''s a player who I feel at 26ish is about to come into his prime. I definitely feel fans are blind to his talent. Certainly rather keep him than Fox or Vaughan.[/quote]

Having recovered from the fainting brought on by your actually having a positive opinion connected to Norwich, I agree.

More to the point still and ignored by the get-ridders, Hughton rates Surman and has praised him several times. I think he will want to keep him. Surman offers passing qualities and midfield goals which make him a useful player to have in the squad.

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]With RVW coming in Midfield is where we need to focus, we need to improve the supply so the strikers spend less time hunting for the ball and more time in the danger areas, that was how we scored so many last season.[/quote]

Agreed. I think we will see little change upfront now and at least two of the current three will stay. I do wonder if Hughton will either keep or replace Jackson. He said he wanted something different on the bench yesterday and a fast forward does add to the squad.

I think our main efforts in the summer will be on a Biglia type midfielder who can give the stability and quality we lack there. Getting a player who can tackle like Johnson and pass like Fox or Surman will cost and we need two. Ideally, we need someone to organise and inspire the midfield as Seb has the defence.

If we keep the strikers we have it is suicide. They have scored less goals than the defence this season and missed so many chances it is criminal. I am hoping for 1 other serious striker to complement RVW

Chris Martin - out!

Andrew Surman - out!

Butterfield - out!

Elliot Ward - out!

Ayala or Barnett out!

David Fox - out!

Jackson and/or Becchio- out!

All these players are not going to feature much at all and we need to improve the squad with better quality without ripping the guts out of the squad and team spirit. These players leaving won''t have any adverse effect on the squad!

I suspect that Hughton will have a network of scouts casting their net far and wide accross Europe,  rightly or wrongly we can expect to be linked with many a name we won''t have heard of before i.e Tettey and the Lazio defender we were linked with a few weeks ago, or RVW.

I think the days of us shopping from the Championship maybe gone......unless its a standout player that will come in and improve the 1st XI such as a Snodgrass.

A lot of tough decisions will need to be made with our squad, and Hughton will need to be honest as to which our players really are of a quality that can help take us forward.

Hughton has been criticised for not using his squad enough during the season but in reality only half of our 25 man squad are of Premiership quality and I think Hughton knows that....so we haven''t actually had much room for changing the team.

If we''re being brutally honest the only players who are good enough for a team that would really want to progress in this league IMO are,

Ruddy,Martin,Whittaker,Johnson,Bassong,Turner,Snodgrass,Howson(squad player),Holt,Pilkington,Hoolahan,Garrido,Bennett.R(will get better in time),Tettey,Bunn & Van Wolfswinkel

thats only 16 players, therefore in my mind we need another 9 of similar quality to bring the overall sandard of the squad  to a higher level.

With 8.5m-10m spent already on RvW, I think the emphasis will be on quality rather than quantity this summer. With the 25 man squad currently full, it''s a question of who will leave or go on loan to make room for new players. RvW will take Jackson''s place IMO, and the priority after that will be signing KK and Garrido and then bringing in quality upgrades for Barnett, Tierney (much as I like him), Fox (great passing just isn''t enough). There may be others going out, but those would be the priorities for me.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]With 8.5m-10m spent already on RvW, I think the emphasis will be on quality rather than quantity this summer. With the 25 man squad currently full, it''s a question of who will leave or go on loan to make room for new players. RvW will take Jackson''s place IMO, and the priority after that will be signing KK and Garrido and then bringing in quality upgrades for Barnett, Tierney (much as I like him), Fox (great passing just isn''t enough). There may be others going out, but those would be the priorities for me.[/quote]We have to strengthen in central midfield, to get at least one of:> a ball winner who can pass more than 10 yards> a creative midfielder who can also get stuck in a bitTettey and Johnson are useful but can''t be first choice in central midfield if we''re going to move forwards (almost literally).

We know Eliot Ward is off, and I think it''s pretty much a given that Simeon Jackson, Marc Tierney and Chris Martin will be off when their contracts expire in the summer.Leon Barnett has a year left on his contract, clearly out of favour, hence the loan to Cardiff. He''ll be told to find a new club, or it''ll be a repeat of the Ward situation, left out of the 25 man squad and loaned out to Championship teams for the rest of his contract. I expect McNally would like to move him on the summer to get a fee for him.David Fox is a weird one. McNally triggered his year extension so he would have been off in the summer. However http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19568166 Hughton clearly really liked him, hence the new contract. But since then he''s barely played. So god knows.Andrew Surman has two years to go. I can definitely seeing Hughton wanting an attacking left winger to give Pilkington a kick up the arse. With two years left on his contract would be difficult to shift.Ruddy, Bunn, R Martin, Whittaker, Bassong, Turner, R Bennett, Snodgrass, E Bennett, Howson, Tettey, Johnson, Pilkington and Hoolahan makes 14. With RVW coming in, I expect Kamara to sign and either Becchio or Holt being used as makeweights for a Gary Hooper deal, taking us up to 18.So I expect to see two left backs coming in and a Barnett replacement, which would leave us room for 4 more signings. So I''m pretty much assuming Fox, Surman, Korey Smith, Ayala will be bundled out of the door, maybe even Jacob Butterfield (remember him?) too.

Buy this instead of players;The Footbonauthttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/champions-league/9674458/The-Footbonaut-secret-to-Borussia-Dortmunds-success.html

I hope other people than me can see that Garrido is not good enough. He is in my opinion a liability.

Not blessed with pace, he backs out of any challenge, backing, backing, backing into his own back yard, to avoid having to tackle.

And, the goals we have let in by a deep cross to the back post, where the diminuitive Garrido is easy match even for the most average forward to head home.

I would like a new left back, and I will be happy to have Tierney as understudy/backup.

Garrido can leave for me.,

In:

LB: Olsson

CD: Davies

CM: Huddlestone

LM: Pacey left footed winger (Townsend?Beausejour?)

CF: Hooper

Out:

Ward

Barnett

Tierney

Surman

Fox

Becchio

Martin

Vaughan

Possibly Jackson and Ayala

Shame to see some of them go, but we need to strengthen the squad and the 25-man squad rule means we have to let a few go.

Love the idea of RVW, Hooper, Holt and Kamara as our strike force!

Makes me laugh when people say you don''t want too many new players coming in and upsetting the

Snodgrass, bunn, garrido, tettey, bassong, whittaker, turner are just 7of our new arrivals in the summer who have proven why they came in as they are better than some of our players from the season before.

We now have an elite centre forward, we need another good forward, winger, central midfielder - there will 5-6 new players and as we have discussed they have to better than we have had. We have all mentioned centre half with players moving on. We need to build a competitive 25, players such as sj, fox, smith have had their time and need to look to actually have a career as a footballer not just picking up a pay cheque

Again this summer will be exciting, but we need genuine quality who are better than we have to support rvw and the elite forward he is. Instead of just being a strong unit we should have players who can win us a game single handily.

[quote user="AJ"]Jersey, you reckno we''ll sigh 3 forwards, an attacking midfielder, two wingers, two central midfielders, a full back AND a centre back all in the summer?!

Are you out of your mind?!

Kamara will sign. Becchio is on a three year deal and will stay, Holt is still valued here. Yes he''s been off the boil lately but as yesterday showed, he''s still a massive leader for the team.

The only strikers to leave will be C Martin and Vaughan, unless Hughton has decided he see''s potential in either of them from their loan periods

Surman has quality, and would be worth keeping, he''s been unfortunate with injury. I wouldn''t even be surprised if we keep one of Fox or Korey Smith too, they would be great back-up for our main midfielders.

Camp is only here ''til the end of the season, and I expect that to remain the same. With Rudd slipping into the age where he counts as a player, it would be worth including him instead of a third keeper from outside the club.

I think people who think we''re going to sell half our squad and bring in around 10 new players are deluded. You can''t kill the atmosphere in the squad, you have to change the squad carefully and slowly over time. Too many arrivals will deter the dressing room closeness, and affect performances.[/quote]

Last season we brought in, Bunn, Camp, Garrido, Turner, Bassong, Butterfield, Kamara, Becchio, Tettey,Whittaker, and that makes 10 in my book, so why not 8 for next season when our budget will be considerable compared to any other season? Plus we will get in some money for the players deemed surplus.

[quote user="Yellow and Green"]In:

LB: Olsson

CD: Davies

CM: Huddlestone

LM: Pacey left footed winger (Townsend?Beausejour?)

CF: Hooper

Out:

Ward

Barnett

Tierney

Surman

Fox

Becchio

Martin

Vaughan

Possibly Jackson and Ayala

Shame to see some of them go, but we need to strengthen the squad and the 25-man squad rule means we have to let a few go.

Love the idea of RVW, Hooper, Holt and Kamara as our strike force![/quote]

You''re In''s are exactly what I was thinking.

GKRuddyBunnRudd 
RBMartinWhittaker
LBGarrido+1
CBBassongR Bennett
CBTurner+1
LMPilkingtonA Surman
RMSnodgrassE Bennett
CM+1Johnson
CM+1Tettey
AMWessiKamara      Howson
STRRVWHoltBecchio

Is my squad and gaps - with all others pretty much surplus to requirements and can leave and any that leave need replacing.   The only one I am unsure about is whether we need both Holt & Becchio - replace one with a pacy striker but solve the midfield conundrum and I think we will improve anyway.

Buy one and loan another top quality central midfielder is where I would spend the cash.