Sign in to follow this  
RvWs 4 year contract

My one gripe with Hughton

Lambert''s expansive gung-ho tactics were based upon trying to win every game and "if you can''t win then don''t get beat". He showed faith in the forward players ability to win games which in turn added lots of confidence and belief. Another reason why he did that was because the central defenders were not great at defending so the team pressed the opposition higher up the pitch.Hughton''s tactics seem to be based around containment of the opposition with the greater focus on ''not losing''. This tends to result in the midfield dropping deeper with fewer chances for the forwards and so a greater reliance upon scoring goals from set-pieces.Hughton needs more pace in the team to get goals on the counter-attack. I think Hughton should have given Elliot Bennett a lot more games because he has the ability and pace to quickly turn defence into attack.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Hughton needs more pace in the team to get goals on the counter-attack. [/quote]

You need to commit players forward to make it work and have players who can pass accurately to score on the counter - thats more important than having searing pace.

As has been pointed out before, ''You have to cut your cloth according to your means''.

Hughton''s job this season has been to maintain Premiership status and it looks as if he could well achieve that goal by getting some very good players in and by using a system(s) to make the most of what we had.

However, just as he concentrated on his defensive needs for this season he must now look at being more creative. I think there are many supporters, like me, who will accept what we have had to put up with at times this season but will expect a better quality of player and football next season.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]I think there are many supporters, like me, who will accept what we have had to put up with at times this season but will expect a better quality of player and football next season.[/quote]Absolutely this.Hughton''s primary goal was to keep us up this season in order to ensure we''re part of the big new TV deal and that even if the worst then happens in the future - we have the finances to deal with it and mount a real push to get back.So far he''s just about managed it (don''t want to tempt fate too much), but next season HAS to be better, and the RVW signing is the first stage of this, let''s just hope that the quality of signings continues and that the style of play improves.

Quite right Indy. It is all about surviving and building. That is when CH can be judged.

To fail to understand that a containment tactical approach is not negative is beyond reason but it hopefully suggests that CH does not rate our midfield currently and that more attacking/creative options are coming soon.

And yes Morty I do go to games and have for many years. There are people shouting nonsense who believe that only they understand foobabll. Maybe you are one of them.

[quote user="the bristol nest"]Quite right Indy. It is all about surviving and building. That is when CH can be judged.

To fail to understand that a containment tactical approach is not negative is beyond reason but it hopefully suggests that CH does not rate our midfield currently and that more attacking/creative options are coming soon.

And yes Morty I do go to games and have for many years. There are people shouting nonsense who believe that only they understand foobabll. Maybe you are one of them.[/quote]Lol, whats your problem mate?