Sign in to follow this  
SYG

Jacob Butterfield...

What do people think is going to happen with him in the summer?!

Stay or leave?...

Nah back in Norwich.

I think he will unfortunately leave.

Came here with a very good reputation, just looks like he hasn''t got over that serious injury he got last season

Sounded like he did alright out on loan, but not wonderfully. Not in the 25 man squad. Not sure when Surman was injured, if Butterfield was in Hughton''s plans at all, you have thought he''d replace Surman on the list in Jan.

Signed before Hughton came into power the club, and certainly not one of his players. Never going to challenge the standard that Hoolahan gives, and arguably Howson looks a better player.

A good idea on paper, but possibly not Premier League quality. I wouldn''t be surprised to see him leave, along with everyone else that has been out of loan this season.

But nobody has really seen him properly yet AJ. Don''t write him off before he''s had a chance.

[quote user="Herman "]But nobody has really seen him properly yet AJ. Don''t write him off before he''s had a chance.[/quote]But Hughton sees him every day in training I assume.My best guess is that he hasn''t come up to scratch.

Waiting for Mango Bapkins to come on and abuse our young talented players, surprised he hasn''t had a go at the fa youth cup finalists yet!

Isn''t he just in limbo?

Joined Palace for a month in Jan so missed out in being in the 25 man squad, then got extended for another month but not for the rest of the season. So he is now back at the Club but can''t be part of the PL squad as he wasn''t registered for it in Jan and presumably wasn''t expected to be here.

Only 23 this summer, joined on a four year contract so three still to go. Presumably will take part in preseason and either be part of the squad or go out on loan. I know he is 23 but he suffered an horrific injury, I would have thought he is still one for the future as hasn''t really had his chance yet and was raved about before his injury prior to joining.

The injury he got before we signed him has all but taken him out of this season, as even when he was back fit again, he couldn''t get the consistent games needed to show his full capabilities and instead has been used relatively sparingly in loans to CCC clubs.He''s on a long term deal anyway so unless we get a good offer I can''t see us rushing to sell, we should instead focus on getting him into the best shape possible in pre-season in order to give us another good option to cover/replace Wes in his role if needed.

"morty" "Herman "But nobody has really seen him properly yet AJ. Don''t write him off before he''s had a chance.

But Hughton sees him every day in training I assume.My best guess is that he hasn''t come up to scratch.

Fair point. I am hoping that he doesn''t want to chuck him at the deep end. Gently break him into the first team so to speak.Or as you say he isn''t that good and someone wasted a large chunk of money.

Having apparently done enough now to survive for another lucrative (very) season in the bestest league in the entire Universe our Club is now to go through a significant shift in identity.

We are now on the cusp of being an ''established'' side amongst this elite and must therefore begin to think that way, to a certain extent.

Some would claim, me included, that this process was begun with the ambitious signing of the Wolfswinkel so we have to be pleased with such forward thinking.

It is now as much about who we discard as who we acquire.

Are the likes of the Butterfields, the Vaughans, the Tierneys and the Surmans etc. not now good enough  for the new improved NCFC?

I would advocate caution and in this respect and am happy with the judgement of McNally in the financial field and of Hughton on the playing field. Neither seem the type to get carried away.

I do not yet really want us now to take the well-worn route to oblivion that was taken by the likes of Leeds United and Portsmouth and many others and begin an over-ambitious assault on the transfer market. I do not yet really want to see players on £60k per week prancing on the Carrow Road turf.

Prudence with ambition Mr. Donc ...... er McNally.

If we start to discard the promise of Butterfield, the skill of Surman or the tenacity of Tierney just yet or even not consider KK as some would seem to want it, we are IMO moving too fast. These type of players are ideal squad members for a team in our current position. As some have pointed out, we cannot afford to have a first team squad full of high-earners and we need a proportion of journeymen (ref. Wiki.) who can do a job if needed, whilst being on realistic wages. 

Evolution, not revolution say I and if I could think up another appropriate hack phrase then I would use it.   

He was signed by Hughton. No idea why people suggest otherwise.

And he''s travelled with the first team every game since returning to CR, as part of the matchday squad (before it''s reduced to 18).

I think he''ll be given a chance to shine in pre-season. Bit silly to sign an injured player on a 4 year deal only to then discard him after he''s finally got fit.

This season was always about rehab. He''s 23 this Summer, plays with both feet, and was the standout midfielder in the Championship before his injury.

I may be wrong, but I''d expect him to be here next season, and in the squad.

Fox will be let go this Summer.

Just my opinion.

I do hope so, had real big hopes for him when he signed.

Could be a pivotal player next season

Thing is though that Butterfield has got to go a very long way to put himself infront of our current first team players in the manager''s thinking and then go even further to put himself ahead of any new signings we make (which we surely will).

For someone who hasn''t played a lot of football in the last year or so and has no experience at this level it is going to be very difficult to do that. Hughton has shown himself to be very loyal to players who do a job for him.

As I''ve said before, it''s one thing for him to look a good player at a smaller club like Barnsley in a lower league but for him to force his way into the team here is going to take some doing.

Time will tell but I''d advise people not to get their hopes up.

Fresh start for him this summer, he''ll get a proper pre-season and be trying to get a place in the squad. Really young, lots of potential so Id think that he has a future with us. We arnt quite in the postion to start thowing away young prospects on long contracts, though with the probably increase in talent to come in in the summer he will have to step up!

Monty13 wrote;

"Joined Palace for a month in Jan so missed out in being in the 25 man squad, then got extended for another month but not for the rest of the season. So he is now back at the Club but can''t be part of the PL squad as he wasn''t registered for it in Jan and presumably wasn''t expected to be here. "

What are you talking about? He was registered for the Squad in January.

He needs a season long long somewhere and to play 25+ games before anyone can really judge him. Was a success in a pretty poor Barnsley team, but this season has seen no progression at all (maybe due to injury, but the recovery seems long even for such a bad break).

If a good offer is made for him this summer I reckon Norwich would go for it, but can''t imagine he''ll be forced out of the door.

I hope he stays.  He''s had some good loan spells to help him get back from that injury.

He''ll be raring to go pre-season and I think he''ll make a few waves in the Prem next year!!