Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Does the Evening News have a whiff of bin?

Is this the "Hand of Pickover"?http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/yell_army_how_much_would_relegation_cost_norwich_city_1_2098036Given that in objective terms we are highly unlikely to be relegated (yes, really), is an article focusing on what relegation would mean, alongside photos from the Fulham 6 -0 thrashing, really worth running as a "big" sporting story?More than a passing whiff of bin at work, I think.  I look forward to a Marcus Evans Panorama-style "where did the money go?" exposé in the interests of balance...

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Is this the "Hand of Pickover"?http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/yell_army_how_much_would_relegation_cost_norwich_city_1_2098036Given that in objective terms we are highly unlikely to be relegated (yes, really), is an article focusing on what relegation would mean, alongside photos from the Fulham 6 -0 thrashing, really worth running as a "big" sporting story?More than a passing whiff of bin at work, I think.  I look forward to a Marcus Evans Panorama-style "where did the money go?" exposé in the interests of balance...[/quote]We''ll all die of old age in the meantime.

Nigel Pickover spent all his time at Ipshite crawling all over the Scum at every opportunity. Seems funny to me that now he is here he is yet to be seen at Carrow Road.

What a strange post paella. He got massively behind the binners in his previous job. I have yet to see the same here. But it may be much more difficult for outsiders to get involved with our club these days. However if he was the driving force behind the yellarmy campaign you would have thought he would have gone to the game. But then again to be fair he may not have been able to get a ticket. He wouldn''t have had that problem in his previous job [;)]

Whatever my views I am eternally grateful to Archant for allowing me to express them on their forum.

[quote user="he likes paella "]You are wrong TIL he is at CR quite often for games and has massively got behind us yellows spearheading the yellarmy campaign. People do make me laugh you slate Mr Pickover however use this FREE forum he reigns to do it.[/quote]

I expect he was " massively behind " this as well paella whilst siiting behind his desk in his days at Ipshite.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/canaries_crushed_we_launch_countdown_to_norwich_city_relegation_1_926369

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

More than a whiff about this photo if you look closely.

[/quote]
Out NOW! Painfully Sycophantic Publications presents.
MARCUS EVANS
The Brilliance Behind the Greatness
by Pickle Nigeover
For the first time, the fearless, reclusive, fearlessly reclusive life story of fearless reclusive
billionaire Marcus Evans is told.
Pickle Nigeover was given EXCLUSIVE access to the luxury Bermudan villa of the brilliant, rich
businessman. As Nigeover peeled grapes and fed them to Evans while he reclined on his
diamond-studded chaise longue*, the amazing story of how the amazing Marcus Evans became
so amazingly rich, was told.
The stories of the mega-rich cannot usually be understood by people who are poor and stupid.
But Nigeover''s journalistic skills, and his instinctive gift for understanding the world of billionaire
tax exiles, turn this into an unforgettable tale.
“Takes fawning idiocy to a whole new level” -
Times Literary Supplement
“Nigeover does not so much put Evans on a pedestal as construct a shrine to him: with each
chapter he finds a new way to worship at it” -
London Review of Books
“The author spends 300 pages and 50,000 words adoringly stroking his subject. It is the nearest
thing I have seen to a literary hand-job” -
Telegraph
This book is the ideal gift for any fans of Ipswich Town, money, people with money, or people who
like people with money.
Available for Kindle, iPad, and in bookshops (special “spineless” edition available from selected
outlets)
*a type of furniture so posh that it has to be written in French. Only super-rich people can sit on it.

Above is a great pisstake at Pickover''s fawning interview with Marcus Evans. (taken from Turnstile Blues)

[quote user="he likes paella "]You are wrong TIL he is at CR quite often for games and has massively got behind us yellows spearheading the yellarmy campaign.

People do make me laugh you slate Mr Pickover however use this FREE forum he reigns to do it.[/quote]I''d happily moan about him somewhere else.Re: "Yell Army" - do you mean like this supportive article published before we played Reading, even though relegation was highly unlikely?

[quote user="he likes paella "]He is a Blackpool fan, obviously as editor of the Ipswich star he would get behind the team? Facts right please. Follow him on twitter very interesting guy @nigel_pickover[/quote]

Are you his wife? It''s well known he''s a tangerine but that didn''t stop his binner antics did it?

He''s also scored for England at Wembley. Have you got his autograph?

I will not let it affect my opinions but I''m grateful to the editor for letting me post here.

[quote user="he likes paella "]You are wrong TIL he is at CR quite often for games and has massively got behind us yellows spearheading the yellarmy campaign.

People do make me laugh you slate Mr Pickover however use this FREE forum he reigns to do it.[/quote]

Wake up and smell the roses - the CLUB organised the yellarmy campaign. Chris Lakey got the call. The club couldn''t be seen to be asking for that support so they got Archant to do it for them.

Binner Pickover does not own or reign over the PinkUn Board - Pickover is a employee of Archant and does whatever Archant Board tells him

I''m slightly confused here - as an editor of an Ipswich based paper who have a lot of sales driven by Scum fans and therefore need the access and good relationship with the club, is he supposed to write a negative article about their owner , therefore denying them those opportunities? His only allegiance is to Archant Media, and I''m sure he does all he can to raise circulation/sales. Gettin behind town/against city when he was at the evening star doesn''t make him a binner. It makes him a businessman.

[quote user="I Love Fernando Derveld"]I''m slightly confused here - as an editor of an Ipswich based paper who have a lot of sales driven by Scum fans and therefore need the access and good relationship with the club, is he supposed to write a negative article about their owner , therefore denying them those opportunities? His only allegiance is to Archant Media, and I''m sure he does all he can to raise circulation/sales. Gettin behind town/against city when he was at the evening star doesn''t make him a binner. It makes him a businessman.[/quote]And some might say investigating an elusive multi-millionaire who has failed to deliver on his promises at ITFC would be just the kind of thing a newspaper should do in the public interest, and that of the fans. 

You know it is possible for someone to both be supportive of Norwich City and Ipswich don''t you? I know football is tribal but for someone who is from outside the area I doubt he has any particular loyalty to either team - he would be a useless local newspaper editor if he didn''t use the local football team to drive sales of his paper.

I suggest people stop looking for a bogeyman etc and don''t be so paranoid. Archant did a the YellArmy thing as it completely reflected the mood on Twitter - a lot of in fighting between fans, many of which felt Norwich were in real danger of relegation. Whether their fears were unfounded or not is by-the-by a local paper will always tap into local mood.

Well, I maintain the "How much would Relegation cost Norwich City?" article was nothing more than sh*t-stirring and a bizarre choice of article for the local newspaper to run when our relegation was never more than unlikely at best.Now, I wonder how that clock is getting on?  Let''s hope it can still "tick over"....

Indeed Mister. So perhaps someone with the alternative view could link to some positive Norwich journalism or some sh*-stirring ipswich journalism from the good gentleman...

Poll: Ipswich Buses spreads

I am of course still eternally grateful to Archant and especially Mr Pickover and SDP for allowing me to voice an opinion on this message board.

Here he is saying farewell to the scum stadium manager Trevor Kirton. Now what mileage did the Evening Star get out of this may i ask ? Call me old fashioned but a scummer retiring from working at ITFC would surely have thought more of a sad tired old legend like Brazil or Wark saying farewell than the Blackpool supporting editor of the local rag ?