Sign in to follow this  
Waveney Canary

Wigan or Villa to go down

Heart says Villa. Head Wigan!! Just feel their luck is finally running out now. Last 2 games they''ve had great opportunities to win and have failed to take their chances. That and all the fixtures they have coming up i think thats it.

Wouldn''t mind taking Kone and Maloney off their hands either.

I''d be surprised if Wigan stay up. I think Villa are slightly stronger and Benteke has the goals in him to keep them up.

It will almost certainly be one of the two.Ladbrookes go:-Wigan 1-2Villa 9-4Stoke 8-1Sunderland 12-1Newcastle 16-1City 20-1I think our poor goal difference means we need another 2 points to be absolutely safe.

would have to fancy villa with a 3pt lead, the best Wigan can hope for is getting into a winner takes all decider on last day of season.

Our goal diff is bad but is actually not AS bad as Wigan and Villa''s. If it''s between those two to go down we''re better off than them on GD.

Much prefer to see villa down,  with us helping them along the way (they cant be relegated by the time we finish with them unfortunately) rather than wigan,   but its hard to see the latics escaping now.

[quote user="a1canary"]Our goal diff is bad but is actually not AS bad as Wigan and Villa''s. If it''s between those two to go down we''re better off than them on GD.[/quote]It isn''t but would be if we lost all our remaining games and they won all or most of theirs.Not that I''m suggesting that will happen...

Wigan are going this year.

With there final 5 fixtures coming in 15 days (due to the cup run), there squad will be stretched, and quite simply they don''t have any strength in depth.

Plus they have some very tough fixtures.

Man Utd need a win tonight to seal the Premier League title.  At Old Trafford on a Monday night.  The stage should be set for a comfortable Man Utd victory.

The last 2 weeks should have shown us that things change very quickly. 2 games ago Sunderland looked virtually down and out. As things stand Norwich downwards in the league are all still in play for that 3 rd spot. It will be good if Villa lose tonight. there are many 6 pointers coming up. Another 2 points should see us ok regardless of what others do. villa potentially look in more trouble than a few weeks ago. The Sunderland fixture is vital for them, not the easy home banker it looked a short while ago. Wigan have played very well inthe lst 2 games and got nothing, simular to us at arsenal. They need to beat Swansea, if they do it will bring them within 3 or 4 points of a couple of clubs

Two reasons why I want to see Villa go down , 1) pretty obvious, Lambert etc etc. 2) and most important, we need 3 teams to be worse than us next season and I think we stand a better chance of being above Wigan than Villa who will invest and improve. So Villa for me.

Wigan have Spurs Saturday and with us playing Stoke and Sunderland at Villa, the picture should be very clear before our game against Lamberts mob.

Difficult to predict but you would expect Spurs to turn over Wigan and then hope for two draws form other two games. Actually best result would be a Sunderland win....

I know the end of the season always throws up funny results, but if we assume Spurs and Arsenal beat Wigan (as they will both still be playing for the CL spots) it would mean Wigan would have to get results in all the rest of their games to catch us.  If they lose one of their other 3 they can''t get near us, even if we lose our remaining 4 games.

If we beat Villa to reach mathematical safety and condemn them to a final day winner takes all at Wigan this will have been one of the most enjoyable football seasons of my life.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]I know the end of the season always throws up funny results, but if we assume Spurs and Arsenal beat Wigan (as they will both still be playing for the CL spots) it would mean Wigan would have to get results in all the rest of their games to catch us.  If they lose one of their other 3 they can''t get near us, even if we lose our remaining 4 games.[/quote]^ This ^As much as I''d prefer Vila or even Stoke to go down, looking at the remaining fixtures, I just can''t see a scenario where Wigan stay up.I know they went on that amazing run at the end of last season, but is it realistic they could do that again? I think Wigan could well be relegated before their last game v Vila.

Would prefer Villa to stay up - still have a soft spot for Lambert and would like to see him given more time to build what looks like becoming a very entertaining and talented team. I also like Martinez though, so who ever goes down the league will be a bit poorer for it (unless Stoke take a massive tumble in the next few games).

A league with Stoke, Cardiff, Hull and West Ham might not be the most entertaining to watch (especially if Norwich stick with their current playing style).

I reckon Wigan will go down. Yes, they have just managed to stay up through the past few seasons. I think this is due to their cup run. Everyone argues about whether a good cup run helps you in the league and I think it doesn''t - look what happened to Birmingham 2 years ago and Leeds in our League 1 season

Like to see Sunderland to go down, not a big club like they think thye are, hate adam johnson hate that blonde haired player in the midfield and also hate di canio what an idiot, also brmable what a mug he is, plus that oshea. just boring team and a mug of a manager, hope he goes down where he belongs. Wigan although there  a small club im happy for whelan and martinez cup final soon.

villa can be very refreshing to watch at times, frustrating at times too, very good team for the future.stoke, faiurplay to them an pulis crap football but good to see them trying to do something.newcastle, nice football, top guy in Pards.

I think that Villa will survive, and it could be a win at Norwich which clinches it. I can''t see them getting anything at Old Trafford, but I can see them beating Sunderland the following week. The game at CR will be massive for them, and they have already beaten us there in the cup. As others have noticed, Villa play Wigan on the last match day at Wigan. This could prove decisive.

Wigan seem more likely to fail at last. They need more points to overtake us - with Spurs, Swansea and Villa at home, plus WBA and Arsenal away. They need to win three of these, if we achieve no more than 2 more points, to defeat us. There is also the distraction of the cup final! All this in about three weeks.

I would love Villa to go down, because of all that "big club" tosh when Lambert went to them, also for next season Wigan would be less competition for us than Villa.

You''d have to expect Man U to turn over Villa tonight to clinch the title.  Problem for Villa is that would leave them 3 points ahead of Wigan who will have a game in hand and superior goal difference.

Wigan''s fixtures then are Spurs(h), West Brom (A), Swansea (H), Arsenal (A), Villa (H). 

Villa have Man U (A), Sunderland (H), City (A), Chelsea (H), Wigan (A)

Not a lot in it, Wigan have the fixture congestion but if they get on a roll that could actually not be a bad thing for them, and WBA/Swansea have little to play for now.  Villa will be hoping that both Sunderland and us will be safe by the time they play us, the last thing they want is to come to FCR when we still need points to make sure we''re safe.

I rather hope that Wigan are still within 3 points of Villa on the final day - as long as both of them are well below City at that point of course !

[quote user="Salopian"]

I think that Villa will survive, and it could be a win at Norwich which clinches it. I can''t see them getting anything at Old Trafford, but I can see them beating Sunderland the following week. The game at CR will be massive for them, and they have already beaten us there in the cup. As others have noticed, Villa play Wigan on the last match day at Wigan. This could prove decisive.

Wigan seem more likely to fail at last. They need more points to overtake us - with Spurs, Swansea and Villa at home, plus WBA and Arsenal away. They need to win three of these, if we achieve no more than 2 more points, to defeat us. There is also the distraction of the cup final! All this in about three weeks.

[/quote]History is against them, they have only ever won 4 times in the league at CR in 25 attempts. City have won 13 and drawn 8. It''s only in cup games that they have the indian sign over us.