Sign in to follow this  
hazza9

If Turner misses any games.....

I would like the back four to be RB Whittaker CB Bassong CB R. Martin LB Garrido. Although Ryan Bennett did well for us against Reading he is still very suspect at the back for me. I personally don''t think he is good enough at this level yet. I would like to see Whittaker come in at right back and Russell Martin moved into the centre half position. That for me is a solid back 4 and would prove hard to break down.

Against the arieal bombardment that Stoke will subject Norwich to I would feel more confident with Bennett at centreback than Russell Martin. In all honesty Leon would have been my prefered option for this game but that isn''t to be sadly.

Why would you change the back four from how we finished on Saturday? He scored and played well, but you''d still drop him?

Some people on here are deluded. What would that do to the poor boys confidence?!

So no manager never changes a team to get a result in the next game, no?? People are entitled to their own opinion and I just feel Ryan Bennett is not good enough at this time. When he has played in our games this season apart from Reading who are bottom and a poor team he has looked out of place. Why does that make me deluded?? So you would rather for eg start a game with a weaker team just to protect a players confidence?? I''m not saying we will lose if we play Ryan but that''s what you would do yes??

Also AJ if your going to start calling people deluded... Becchio to start ahead of Holt?!

Holt, I believe, had the lowest pass completion rate of ANYBODY in the Premier League last weekend, I stand by my point. Yes he played OKAY, but I would like to see Becchio have a go

Played OK, Are you seriously saying Holt played just OK against reading?? He ran his heart out and showed real commitment and desire! If anyone deserved a goal on Saturday it was him and you know that because you praised him on a different post. Yes I understand becchio has not really been tested at this level but what I saw from Holt he is still our number 1 forward and should be picked ahead of our others.

Look this post is not about Holt it''s about our defence. Yes Bennett would be suited to the CB role against Stoke probably more so than Martin if they play the long ball every time. To be fair I would have Barnett, Ayala and Ward in front of Bennett if I had the choice. I still feel letting Whitbread go was a mistake as he would had been ideal cover for turner and bassong. All round as a player I just don''t think Bennett is premiership quality at the minute. Hopefully in a few years he will be as he has time on his side. Bennett did have a good game at the weekend but I would be in two minds wether to start him against stoke if turner is not fit. If he does start him hopefully he plays as well as he did against reading.

Not really sure how you can justify letting Whitbread go as a mistake. He''s injury prone, and the fact no other Prem team snapped him up says a lot in my book.

Bennett should play if Turner is injured, he''s a good young centre back. He''s good in the air, and makes good blocks/sliding tackles, but his distribution at times can be very wayward (not on Saturday tho)

Definately the 3rd best CB at the club behind Turner and Bassong

I would never play men out of position except in an emergency. That''s what the squad is for. We are getting to a position where we have million pound footballers as reserves. We will never keep them happy if they don''t get the chance to stake a claim. Ryan Bennett took his chance on Saturday so would deserve to keep the shirt if Turner isn''t fit.

Yes Whitbread suffered from injuries but he was easily a better centre half than Bennett when fit. He could had been our back up to turner and bassong. You mentioned him not being signed by another premiership team and once again you can put that down to injuries I would say. Would he have stayed fit if he was playing a bit part role instead of playing week in week out, who knows??

I don''t believe Bennett is better than Barnett, Ayala, Ward and martin at CB. Bennett''s distribution, marking and reading of the game will hopefully improve once he gets more experience. If we was definitely safe by now it would be ideal to give him some game time in prem along side a player like Seb but whilst we still need 2-3 more points he just makes me a little nervous when he''s at the back.

Turner may not miss any games - he went off on Saturday, apparently walking easily, as a precaution. CH says that Turner felt his leg (groin?) go a little.

If he does miss games, we have replacements in Bennnett, Martin and Whittaker. For the Stoke match I would prefer Bennett, because of the likely air-borne onslaught. Martin is slightly shorter, and Whittaker has not quite recvered from a knee injury. Bennett is taller, more used to high balls, and not recently injured.

The others are not as good as Turner has become, and so will weaken the defence slightly. If Bassong misses any games as well, and he seemed to be "in the wars" on Saturday, then we really would be in trouble.

Read into it what you will, but I personally would say that by the way Hugton has praised Bennetts performance on Saturday, the position is as good as his if Turner isnt fit Saturday, and rightly so in my opinion, as he will not be out of position as others would be ie Martin,and he will be suited to the barrage of aerial bombs that will no doubt be heading our way from Stoke.

Many people seem to forget that Bennett did a perfectly adequate job when Turner was injured in the autumn. Played at Everton, Southampton, and at home to Sunderland beside Bassong before his injury.

It appears that both Turner and Bennett look like quality player when playing with Bassong, but equally suspect when Bassong is absent. Bassong is our best centre half by a large margin.

As it''s likely to be a bit of a bar room brawl at Stoke, I would prefer the experienced heads of Martin and Whittaker at the back.

I rate young Bennett more than most seem to but needs must and his time will come.

"I rate young Bennett more than most seem to but needs must and his time will come."

Its not like he''s 18/19 and inexperienced. He''s 23, at what age do you become capable of playing at Stoke?

Age has nothing to do with his ability to play against a physical team. He is more than capable.

[quote user="tom1902"]"I rate young Bennett more than most seem to but needs must and his time will come." Its not like he''s 18/19 and inexperienced. He''s 23, at what age do you become capable of playing at Stoke? Age has nothing to do with his ability to play against a physical team. He is more than capable.[/quote]

Where did I say Bennett was incapable of playing at Stoke?

I simply said I would prefer the more experienced heads of Martin and Whittaker. 

You can disagree with this view at will of course, but please do it without twisting my exact reasoning. 

[quote user="tom1902"] It appears that both Turner and Bennett look like quality player when playing with Bassong, but equally suspect when Bassong is absent. Bassong is our best centre half by a large margin.[/quote]

But, as I''ve tried pointing out numerous times on this board, Bassong always gets to play in his preferred position on the left side of the defence. Too many people don''t realise that and don''t seem to understand the difference it makes.

If Turner and Bennett have to play together one of them has to play on the left side which doesn''t suit them.

You rarely see a defender who can play both sides comfortably. The only one currently on the books at Norwich who is particularly good at it is Elliott Ward both he is comfortable using either foot.

Play Bassong on the right hand side and you would probably not see quite such a convincing performance.

I would be tempted to play a back5 against Stoke.

Considering the midfield will likely be missed out with long balls.

Bennett and Martin with Bassong being the ''free'' man to sweep up.

I am with Nutty - you play your center backs - so bennett starts for me if Turner is out. Barnett would have been better although I recall he did not fare too well at home against them last season...

This is a game where our deep lying midfield tactics will work, high balls up, midfield to pick up majority of the second ball.

0-0 result ensues both teams are happy and safe. Job done..