Sign in to follow this  
Bristol Canary

Building for Next Year

As our Premier League status is all but assured, I guess it''s time to start looking at potential signings to improve the squad and keep it that way next year. It seems pretty obvious that a few players will be leaving and we lack adequate cover in certain areas. In my opinion we don''t need a massive overhaul of players but slight improvements in certain areas; A pacy/creative Left Winger and Striker, cover/competition at Left Back (if Garrido stays), again cover/competition at Centreback and a Defensive Midfielder with an eye for a pass. Could be argued we need a Attacking midfielder as cover for Wes too. So 5/6 Players. Taking into consideration players Hughton will know, rumours and players that will improve us/good ages here are a few potential signings...     1) Centreback: Curtis Davies/Birmingham - 28 Years Old: Seems like a very likely signing, good age, pacy and very experienced. Possibly available for 2/3 Million.  2) Left Back: Martin Olsson/Blackburn - 24 Years Old: Saw a couple of rumours about West Ham and our interest about him, very fast, improved defensively over the years and would definitely provide Garrido with stern competition for his first team place. Could see us going abroad for this position though but is Possibly Available for 2/3 Million.   3) Central Midfield: Jake Livermore/Tottenham - 23 Years Old: Has been used sparingly this season by AVB and seems to be heading for the exit door this summer, played a lot last year for Spurs and in recognition for his performances earned an England cap. Could be this seasons Bassong and with the World Cup next year a season of first team football might sound a lot more appealing. Strong in the tackle, fast, at 6"2 a good height and a decent passer of the ball. Possibly available for 3/5 Million.        Other rumours to be considered: Liam Bridcutt/Brighton - 23 Yrs, Luke Murphy/Crewe - 23 Yrs and Per Ciljan Skjelbred/Hamburg - 25 Yrs  4) Left Wing: Nathan Redmond/Birmingham - 19 Years Old: Hughton is rumoured to be a big fan and he could be the player to bring pace and trickery to the Left Wing as well as giving Pilks some much needed competition. Possibly available for 3/5 Million.  5) Striker: Max Clayton/Crewe - 18 Years Old: I think it''s most likely we''ll go abroad again for value for money, but I would quite like us to take a chance on someone young with potential like Clayton, similar type of player to Michael Owen. Could provide the pace and finishing that Simeon perhaps couldn''t. 1/2 Million.   5) Striker: Andreas Weimann/Villa - 21 Years Old: In terms of a more proven goalscorer, Weimann would be an excellent signing capable of linking play between midfield and upfront. There were rumours earlier in the year linking us with a move because of contract talks breaking down. Whether we''re a possible destination will depend on Villa''s league finish.       Other players to considered. Andreas Cornelius/FC Copenhagen - 20: Big, Poweful and scoring plently of goals. Could be an option if we don''t keep Kei, available for 5 million.   6*) Attacking Midfielder: Will Hughes/Derby - 18 Years Old: Just signed a new contract with Derby so wont be available cheaply, but is well documented as being one of the next big things in the Championship. Perfect replacement for Wes if we ever need one.

This is of course all very Football Manager/FIFA but one thing is for sure, this is going to be an exciting summer for NCFC (hopefully). 

Would like to see Curtis Davies here, I really rate the guy. There was a reason he once went for £10 million. If we can can get him fairly cheap, i.e. under £3m that is good business.

The one I would really like us to sign is Basel defender Aleksandar Dragovic who is only 22 has Europa League experience and has 14 caps for Austria already. He has the potential to become a top, top defender. Wont come cheap but if we can show ambition then £6m would be a real coup.

Andros Townsend around £5m may be a good addition. Really has developed and matured as a player, the stint at QPR will have really helped him, can Tottenham really find a place for him?

I''d like to see us sign Bridcutt for sure, very good player, can put in the defensive shift, but also has an eye for a pass as well (would be an upgrade on Johnson imo)

Hughes would be great, but seem him going to a bigger club. Weimann will sign a new contract at Villa.

Not sure about LB''s, Olsson is alright from what I''ve seen. Redmond and Davies would be good pick ups, Redmond especially has something special.

Not seen a lot of Clayton.

We could always pick up another RB, and use Whittaker as a LB, if we were to do that young Byram of Leeds would be a brilliant signing

I may get shot down for this but would love Junior Hoilett. Fantastic player on his day and has the pace we''re missing in our team. I''m sure Hughton would get the best out of him. Always remember him playing well against us (well for Blackburn anyway)

I would love to have Will Hughes, even though the chances are rare I guess. He''s the same age of our U18 FA Cup finalist.

I think the vision and distribution he''s shown at Derby and England U21, he could really help the Murphy''s fulfill their ability.

Interesting points of view.

I think I am happy for a few young guns but really I want some genuine experience, Europe is certainly an area where we should pick up two or three.

Curtis Davies is good, as we have all said an exciting window with players to come in and to also see who leaves, some deadwood and others who want first team football. Cardiff won''t coming sniffing for our players as they have bigger bucks to spend. Hull, maybe... Again it will be interesting to see who comes us, we want weak squads coming up with not loads of cash as we need cannon fodder for next season as we dramatically improve on players such as eb, fox, and holt.

Kk for me is signed if holty leaves if not then I think we need better.

I like Jordi Gómez from Wigan, if they go down I''d like us to go for him.

Also, Nathan Redmond, Curtis Davis, Andreas Weimann and maybe one or two surprises...

We''re only safe when we are mathematically safe, lose to Stoke and the Villa game is just as big as the Reading game just gone. I agree its important to look up, but we are Norwich fans after all!3 points against Stoke and all will be good with the world [:D]

As we could still do with some pace in our striking line up, I wonder if a cheeky bid for Loic Remy would be a good plan. Great player on the ball and a great strike partner for RVW. RVW & Remy? Sounds good to me.

Think we would be outpriced for Remy. Same with Benteke

Mcarthy and figeuroa at Wigan might be a decent bet. Would love Weimann but don''t see it happening...

I think our main target should be Andros Townsend, really rate him.

I think if we avoid defeat at Stoke it could be the first nail in the coffin for either villa or wigan.

Being Polish I would love it if we brought a Pole into the setup.
My pick would be Grzegorz Krychowiak. DM/CM (can also play CB) playing for Reims in France. Been a starter there since he was 18 (same age he made his full Poland debut), only 23 now and a very tidy player, strong in the tackle, with excellent passing and vision. Will most likely be on the move this summer as he is too good for Reims and would fit in very nicely in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2. Would be more than capable of starting from Day 1 and huge resale potential given he only turned 23 in January. 2 years left to run on his current contract.
Kamil Glik would also be a decent pick up from Torino. Scored against England last year for Poland. 6''3 CB with decent pace, dominant in the air, VERY strong, and technically a very sound footballer (spent a year or so in Real Madrid''s academy where the improvement was tangible). Just turned 25 years old. Probably not a starter in the first instance as he is prone to the odd gaffe, but would be an outstanding back up, with potential to work his way into the lineup. He is getting better with age, and really beginning to dominate for Poland. 
Don''t think we have anyone realistically available aside from these two who is worth signing to be honest. A lot of our decent youngsters are at big clubs already. Salamon just signed for AC Milan in January, Wolski (who I lauded before the Euros) went to Fiorentina but is only just coming back from a bad injury, Milik just signed for Leverkusen etc etc.