Sign in to follow this  
Kristian Clarke- Frary

David Beckham

[quote]Although I moderate messages, I''m not a Canary expert - but it rings bells with me. And if Flown from the Nest says so, I''d put money on it . . .[/quote]

if i am corect, i believe he did once play for norwich?

aha, just found the facts:

DAVID BECKHAMFormer United superstar Beckham had a trial at Carrow Road as a youngster

this is taken from http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/clubs/manutd.htm "Ex canaries"

He was on a tria at Trowse (as the training ground was then) as a 14 (or roundabout) year old. Whilst he was there, Man utd offered him a deal, before he had finished his trial with us. Once there offer came in there was only one place young Beckham was going to go..... and it wasn''t Norwich.

The rest as they say, is history.

It wouldn''t happen these days. There is some sort of law that prevents young players being taken on by a club which is more than 2 hours away (correct if I''m wrong) by car from home. That means we can look at pretty much any youngster down to London and Manure can''t

Which is good, when you have great youngsters like Shackell around!

I wouldnt want him being pinched right now!

[quote]It wouldn''t happen these days. There is some sort of law that prevents young players being taken on by a club which is more than 2 hours away (correct if I''m wrong) by car from home. That means we can...[/quote]

Wasn''t it David Beckham/Norwich that caused the rules to be changed?

From the deep recesses of my mind the 2 hour rule has always been there but as a wonderkid and it being Manure they got round the rules by flying him from Stansted to Manchester which cut the journey time to under two hours - Norwich were miffed and complained but as Manure had only bent the rules the only thing that could be done was to change it to "by car"

Anyone else remember this?

Still in those days we would have sold him to Leicester for 50p without a sell on clause....

OTBC

[quote]It wouldn''t happen these days. There is some sort of law that prevents young players being taken on by a club which is more than 2 hours away (correct if I''m wrong) by car from home. That means we can...[/quote]

except , as was the case with daniel nardiello, its not 2 hours by car but 2 hours travelling time and air travel meant he could sign while manure found a house nearer manchester for the family - big clubs will out...

OTBC

It''s clubs like Man U and Chelsea who continually flout the rules that are slowly dragging football further and further down into the depths of despair

Yep..happens in every sport unfortuately. I suppose the hot topic for this subject at the moment is F1 where Ferrari (as much as I like the marque and hope to work at Maranello one day) have their hand in Ecclestone''s and Mosley''s pockets and can influence any decision which is wrecking the sport and the enjoyment factor 

If you have the money, teams can do whatever they want, which to me is a shame and widens the divide between the rich and therefore successful teams, and everyone else. Perhaps the FA should "tax" every single transfer over a certain amount and spread the money around in lower leagues

The only problem is that clubs are now paying huge sums to completely relocate the player and his family which kinda makes a mockery of the rule.

Didn''t we also turn away Gazza?