Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Playing for time in the corner

True that they weren''t throwing everyone forward.  They did cause us a worrying moment towards the end when they got the ball in the box and it bounced around before their striker did an overhead kick which was uncomfortably close.

So there''s no debate for me that it was absolutely the right thing to do.  If we''d gone for the goal and then they hit the ball long and scored, we''d have been furious, and rightly so.

"lappinitup"I enjoyed it. [:D]

I did too. I thought it was a masterclass by Holt. The last time I had seen it done that well was by Hucks many moons ago.

And to be honest I am glad he done it as those extra minutes were lasting an age.

It ain''t pretty but it made sure we got the win.

At least its in the laws of the game. There is nothing wrong with keeping possession. We have had Chelsea and Man City at Carrow Rd who have taken 45 seconds for EVERY throw in and a minute and a half for every goal kick and free kick, which ISNT in the laws of the game. ''The powers that be'' should have a look at that.

Anybody who has a problem with players running the clock down has clearly never played the game to any real level. Its just what you do. If you go for a third goal you will more than likely end up facing another attack from the opposing team.

Keeping the ball in the corner deprives the opposition of the ball and keeps the ball at the opposite end of the pitch to where the want it to be.

Cannot see how anyone would struggle to grasp this concept.

With our 1 win in 16 i would of been happy if they held the ball in the corner from the 80th min if it got us the win

Don''t be an idiot Tom - i don''t accept that it''s "what you do" and it''s a indictment of whatever level it is that you play at that is your attitude. I accept that it''s appropriate in certain circumstances, not least for this season''s Norwich side on the fringes of a relegation dog fight. But i use the example of Villa which i''d rather not do as it involves you know - and who are also in a relegation dog fight - because when they were 2-1 up against Stoke with minutes to go and got the chance to break, they poured forward got a third and killed the game. So i don''t accept that it''s "what you do" or that it''s what "every team would do". I have already said i accept the circumstances if which we were doing it on Saturday, just about, but as i also said in the OP, it''s sad to see and i think it sends the wrong message if it becomes the default option when winning by a single goal towards the end of the match. It can just as easily backfire.

[quote user="Surfbird"]Quite right CF Holt especially and Kamara too did the job brilliantly in that corner.[/quote]It was brilliant play by the pair of them. 3 points at that stage of the game is all that counts. Going for another goal and giving the ball away would be inexcusable.Superb play from Holty, dribbling back and forth and also two great blocks by Kamara. There is no need to showboat for another goal when the game is won.

[quote user="a1canary"]Don''t be an idiot Tom - i don''t accept that it''s "what you do" and it''s a indictment of whatever level it is that you play at that is your attitude. I accept that it''s appropriate in certain circumstances, not least for this season''s Norwich side on the fringes of a relegation dog fight. But i use the example of Villa which i''d rather not do as it involves you know - and who are also in a relegation dog fight - because when they were 2-1 up against Stoke with minutes to go and got the chance to break, they poured forward got a third and killed the game. So i don''t accept that it''s "what you do" or that it''s what "every team would do". I have already said i accept the circumstances if which we were doing it on Saturday, just about, but as i also said in the OP, it''s sad to see and i think it sends the wrong message if it becomes the default option when winning by a single goal towards the end of the match. It can just as easily backfire.[/quote]What a load of rubbish. It was wonderful to see and is the ONLY option at that stage of the game. It is far more likely to backfire when you go for goal, fail to score and suddenly find you''ve got 3 or 4 men the wrong side of the ball. I''ve seen it happen so many times in the past.Superb stuff from Holt. It was that kind of mature experienced play that ensured the 3 points.

I think it was the year that we went down something similar happened with Southampton- they were winning a game by one goal near the end, broke free and Crouch took a shot rather than going to the corner. End result was the keeper saved it easily, punted it down the other end and the team equalised- I remember Redknapp being livid about it.

Well I guess as we''ve actually won a football match certain people have to find something pointless to moan about.

The only people who dislike this tactic need to look at themselves, not the players. You''re just annoyed that you had to be subjected to boring football for 3 minutes and didn''t get to celebrate a 3rd goal. I''m sure the players and manager don''t share your view.

I can''t see how winning.a football match by means of keeping a ball in a corner will effect the players confidence. What a load of rubbish. The lads would have all be on a high in the dressing room after the game. All of them, 3 points, job done. I doubt any of the forwards would have been thinking "oh damn, I wish I scored a 3rd goal in injury time then we''d be feeling even more confident...", what a selfish thought pattern that would be. Or Hughton thinking "great win, oh but only if we risked our lead and Premier league survival amd attacked for that 3rd goal in injury time then our confidence would have been even higher...". No, don''t think so. This isn''t about gambling needlessly. I think everyone will be satisfied and be going to Stoke feeling confident regardless. A win is a win.

I would have loved to have seen a 3rd goal like anyone in the ground, but it''s not about my interest, it''s about the teams. Yes it was dull keeping the ball I''m the corner but it was necessary to gain the 3 points. Holt and Kamara did this very well, they had the teams interest at heart. Well played the pair of them.

I''m afraid that based on our recent lack of goals, and the importance of getting a result..

It pains me to say I think it was the correct tactic, given the circumstances. Look how easily they scored from nothing.

We simply could not risk it.

Anyway Holty''s antics were highly amusing. Job done.

This post started off in a perfectly reasonable manner and was debated as intended on the first page and as usual it has just gone down hill from there with the usual accusations of rubbish, don''t know this, don''t know that, moaner this.

Ricardo, this was never about one particular passage of play you refer to. It was about the whole business of choosing to run down time for the last ten minutes of the match (it wasn''t just at the very end) even if there are good opportunities to come forward and break fast as we had. As i said, this was discussed properly on the first page but now appears to have been hijacked and turned in to the usual lowest common denomenator debate beloved of this board. BORING!

really confused why it would be an issue.

It''s not only the fact of wasting time, it''s the fact of wasting time, making the opposition go 100yards to score and kills the momentum of the game and slows it down along with keeping a solid formation.

If Norwich wanted to score the third goal, it needs players to commit to the attacks and prone to counter-attacks. So just playing around in the corner, reduces the size of the pitch where two people is more than enough.

It''s true sport is about entertainment, but the entertainment is over a season and any 90mins is about doing whatever it takes to get the points.

[quote user="a1canary"]This post started off in a perfectly reasonable manner and was debated as intended on the first page and as usual it has just gone down hill from there with the usual accusations of rubbish, don''t know this, don''t know that, moaner this. Ricardo, this was never about one particular passage of play you refer to. It was about the whole business of choosing to run down time for the last ten minutes of the match (it wasn''t just at the very end) even if there are good opportunities to come forward and break fast as we had. As i said, this was discussed properly on the first page but now appears to have been hijacked and turned in to the usual lowest common denomenator debate beloved of this board. BORING![/quote]

I''m sorry but the post started in a completely ridiculous manner and continued despite a number of people attempting to explain the ways of the footballing world. I have to say, you really are completely clueless.

[quote user="a1canary"]

Er, not really - i ''mistyped'' there, they were 2-1 up at the time. .[/quote]Villa scored a late wonder goal to take the score from 1-1 to 2-1 so had the momentum and a shaken Stoke team to push for a third against, we saw only too well against Arsenal what a shock goal late in the game can do to a team, Villa scored in the 87th and 90th minutes, due to their poor league position, at 1-1 Villa were in trouble and had little choice other than to push for a winner, at 2-1 Stoke fell apart.no lose gamble imo for the second, third was just one of those things that happens quite often when a team is shaken by a late goal. Very different and incomparable circumstances imo.

Not meant to sound as if it''s new Morison''s but admit i''ve only got to two home games this season and the first we played for a winner having been at 1-1 vs Wigan so it''s the first i''ve seen of it this year. It was noticeable having not seen it as obviously in any games last season.

[quote user="a1canary"]This post started off in a perfectly reasonable manner and was debated as intended on the first page and as usual it has just gone down hill from there with the usual accusations of rubbish, don''t know this, don''t know that, moaner this.

Ricardo, this was never about one particular passage of play you refer to. It was about the whole business of choosing to run down time for the last ten minutes of the match (it wasn''t just at the very end) even if there are good opportunities to come forward and break fast as we had. As i said, this was discussed properly on the first page but now appears to have been hijacked and turned in to the usual lowest common denomenator debate beloved of this board. BORING![/quote]

Youre only saying that because youve made yourself look a clueless tit with the OP. You get the same 3 points whether you win 2-1 or 3-1.

[quote user="a1canary"]This post started off in a perfectly reasonable manner and was debated as intended on the first page and as usual it has just gone down hill from there with the usual accusations of rubbish, don''t know this, don''t know that, moaner this.

Ricardo, this was never about one particular passage of play you refer to. It was about the whole business of choosing to run down time for the last ten minutes of the match (it wasn''t just at the very end) even if there are good opportunities to come forward and break fast as we had. As i said, this was discussed properly on the first page but now appears to have been hijacked and turned in to the usual lowest common denomenator debate beloved of this board. BORING![/quote]Having re-read your initial post several times I can''t see anything about the last 10 minutes. Your complaint was about Holt and Kamara holding up play near the corner flag. To the best of my recollection this only occurred during the closing minutes of time added. I can''t believe Chris Hughton would have been very happy if they had done anything different and personally speaking I consider it to be the correct approach and a text book example of how it should be played.

I was disapointed that the whole team didn''t go forward, Bunn included, for all of our corners during the match. I hate this defensive play of leaving a goalkeeper IN GOAL at set plays. And I thought Holt should have flicked the ball up and try to overhead kick it into the goal at the end.  I''m not going anymore. What''s 100 million quid anyway? I prefered it when we were getting beat at Brentford.

Good grief, people will complain about just about anything. We played the last minutes brilliantly, keeping the ball between Kei and Holt, drawing the odd foul and a corner. I''m not normally a fan of doing it not least because 9 times out of 10 we screw it up and concede possession straight away, but this was pretty-much the only time I''ve seen us work it well. No side in the world is going to go all gung ho in injury time and potentially lose a hard earned victory - to think otherwise really is rather stupid.

What a stupid thread. The op I bet you are one of the supporters who at 2-0 were moaning that we passed the ball sideways instead of lumping it forward.

I couldn''t give a toss if we passed the ball across the back 4 and kept possession when we are winning rather than hit a hopeful ball forward.

So yes keep it in the corner and stop fucking moaning when we are winning and have possession.

Would love to hear people saying "They should have held it in the corner" after Reading broke and got number 2 robbing us of the same amount of points...Idiots

Was superb play from Kamara and Holt

I thought it was a fine example of mature and professional play from Holt, Kei and Tettey.Up to that point we had been stuck in our own half, had parked the bus and were defending a series of Reading long balls into our box. When 5 mins stoppage time was shown we all gasped "this is going to be a long five minutes!".  As it was, due to Holt''s cool head we saw out those extra minutes about as far away from our goal as possible. As for comparing it to that Villa goal, I suggest you watch it again on YouTube. Benteke intercepted a pass, knocked it past Stoke''s only defender standing on the half way line and ran straight in on goal unchallenged from the centre circle. Holt picking up the ball on the left wing with two or more defenders inside of him isn''t comparable.

I was disapointed that the whole team didn''t go forward, Bunn included, for all of our corners during the match. I hate this defensive play of leaving a goalkeeper IN GOAL at set plays

+++++

that just killed me. props.

Im on board with the consensus here. 
It may be a bit crap to watch, but as we don''t do it very much, I enjoyed watching it, and Holt and Kei executed it beautifully.
We had a slim 1 goal advantage, Reading had the momentum and their tails up since McLeary''s blast pulled them back into it after looking dead and buried.
If we had gone for the jugular, Reading had equalised, and we get relegated by a point, I think we all would have been looking back, raging and saying this was the moment we got ourselves relegated.
To go for the 3rd would have been suicidal. 
There is something in business called a risk/reward ratio. Applying it to the game: What is the reward for scoring a 3rd? Nothing, except the whingers probably complain we didn''t score 78 more. What is the risk? Losing possession cheaply and Reading equalising, losing 2 points and throwing ourselves right into the middle of the relegation dogfight. You get 3 points whether you win 2-1 or 847-0.
I''m sorry but your point just doesn''t stack up. Why would we go for the 3rd, at a great risk, with no benefit whatsoever when we can play it safe in the corner, see the game out, collect 3 points and push ourselves right toward safety?
As others have alluded to, you have somewhat changed your argument to be more generic when others have similarly dismantled your argument about Saturday. It may be boring but it''s professional and every team in the world does it, and very, very rarely does it backfire. 
I''m not sure what this nonsense you''re spouting about it being bad for team morale is. I''m sure 3 points is a hell of a lot better for morale than a team talk saying "Well we went for the third for no reason whatsoever and Reading pulled a goal back, we dropped 2 points and are in the relegation shake up". It doesn''t show any lack of faith of the players, it shows that it was a tight game and we needed the points desperately.

now if we could pass and keep possession we would not need to use holts bum as a tactic - so its the right thing to do