Sign in to follow this  
Luxembourgcanary

Let's get some Reading FC players?

Am I the only one thinking that Reading seem to have some talented individual players, most of all in attack (of which we''re in desperate need of in my eyes) like Le Fondre, Mccleary, Robson Kanu ... ?

Now as they''re probably going down and these players have some PL experience ... wouldn''t these players be worth considering for us next season?

Personally i didnt see anything particularly outstanding about Reading''s players on Saturday, not enough to make me feel we could do with any of them in our side. I think their general approach to the match was pretty positive, but they still came up short againt our current team.

There is a reason why Reading are relegating.... those players mentioned simply aren''t good enough for the Premiership.

Buying from any relegating club is hardly an improvement on what we have got, not to mention signing a player who is bound to be on almost rock-bottom confidence.

Personally, I wouldn''t take anyone from Reading QPR, and Wigan, regardless of ''cut-price'' deals.

[quote user="Roo El 7"]There is a reason why Reading are relegating.... those players mentioned simply aren''t good enough for the Premiership.

Buying from any relegating club is hardly an improvement on what we have got, not to mention signing a player who is bound to be on almost rock-bottom confidence.

Personally, I wouldn''t take anyone from Reading QPR, and Wigan, regardless of ''cut-price'' deals.[/quote]

Kone?

Remy?

Guthrie?

James Mcarthy?

Maloney?

Gomez?

Hoilet?

Zamora?

All decent players and an improvement to our current squad.

I think Zamora is going back to his true ability level, the Championship. Long in the tooth and over-rated (and a youth team old boy)

I think or hope we can afford better. He is ok but Champs is where he will shine.

Kone? - 29yo

Remy? - 80K a week!

Guthrie? - Duff Knee

James Mcarthy? - Possibly

Maloney? - 30yo

Gomez? - Terrible srike rate

Hoilet? - Toilet (see Gomez)

Zamora? - 32yo, way past his best.

I''d be looking at sub 25 year olds that can develope a long term understanding, rather than buying experienced average players from under-performing clubs.

I would not take Kone.  Not because I think he is rubbish, but because he won''t be good value - his age and he isn''t overly prolific.

Kone is 30 in November and if Wigan go down I reckon they''d want at least £8m for him. 

If Villa go down, I reckon they''d want £12m for Benteke.  He''s 23 in December, more prolific than Kone and imho much better value.  I think there''d be a scramble for Benteke''s signature.  I''m not sure whether either of the Manchester clubs would be in for him, but it wouldn''t surprise me if Arsenal were.

I do think we need someone in the Benteke mould though.  Power, Pace, can hold the ball up etc, and can also score.

[quote user="Roo El 7"]Kone? - 29yo

Remy? - 80K a week!

Guthrie? - Duff Knee

James Mcarthy? - Possibly

Maloney? - 30yo

Gomez? - Terrible srike rate

Hoilet? - Toilet (see Gomez)

Zamora? - 32yo, way past

I''d be looking at sub 25 year olds that can develope a long term understanding, rather than buying experienced average players from under-performing clubs.[/quote]

Tell that to Giggs, Dion, Carragher, Pirlo, etc. Age is just a number and most players don''t reach their peak til about 28 - 32. So if they''re good enough age isn''t really a factor.

[quote user="Roo El 7"]There is a reason why Reading are relegating.... those players mentioned simply aren''t good enough for the Premiership.

Personally, I wouldn''t take anyone from Reading QPR, and Wigan, regardless of ''cut-price'' deals.[/quote]

I think you might have your green and yellow glasses on...I watched the game and they had heavy spells of pressure when they seemed to pass the ball around with consummate ease...and you would have thought that we were the team second of bottom! An early goal for them and it might have meant curtains for us...it definitely would of had us on the ropes and wobbling!  I believe Chelsea bought a player from Wigan at the beginning of the season for a few million...and it hasn''t done them any harm.  You don''t look a gift horse in the mouth...a team relegated and desperate to slash their wage bill  might have a bargain or two to be had. The original poster was not on about signing the whole team just one or two talented individuals...prospering from what most teams struggling to establish themselves in the Premiership will have including ourselves!

I actually saw a villa fan say Benteke is too good for Liverpool. I did have to chuckle as if that was the case he should be refusing to play for villa.

we can''t afford Benteke, I''d take AW for 5-7m, much rather him than hooper.

and I''ll also stick with my point of Le Fondre getting 11 goals in a terrible team. I''d take him too. would probably only cost around 2-3m, considering they payed 500k for him.

[quote user="ARCHIEGEMMELL"][quote user="Roo El 7"]There is a reason why Reading are relegating.... those players mentioned simply aren''t good enough for the Premiership. Buying from any relegating club is hardly an improvement on what we have got, not to mention signing a player who is bound to be on almost rock-bottom confidence. Personally, I wouldn''t take anyone from Reading QPR, and Wigan, regardless of ''cut-price'' deals.[/quote]

I think you might have your green and yellow glasses on...I watched the game and they had heavy spells of pressure when they seemed to pass the ball around with consummate ease...and you would have thought that we were the team second of bottom! An early goal for them and it might have meant curtains for us...it definitely would of had us on the ropes and wobbling!

I believe Chelsea bought a player from Wigan at the beginning of the season for a few million...and it hasn''t done them any harm.

You don''t look a gift horse in the mouth...a team relegated and desperate to slash their wage bill  might have a bargain or two to be had. The original poster was not on about signing the whole team just one or two talented individuals...prospering from what most teams struggling to establish themselves in the Premiership will have including ourselves!
[/quote]

I have no problem with us signing players from relegated teams but they have to be an improvement on what we have. I dont think Readings team had anyone in it that would be a significant improvement on what we have and their positive momments on Saturday were due to their new managers approach in setting them up to play that way, a different manager a different style we''ve seen it ourselves over the last couple of seasons.

Our best player this season got relegated last season, so it doesn''t mean all players from relegated side should be written off. Although I''d probably stay away from all of QPR players ,except Townsend, as they just seem to be there for the money.

[quote user="mre2"]Our best player this season got relegated last season, so it doesn''t mean all players from relegated side should be written off. Although I''d probably stay away from all of QPR players ,except Townsend, as they just seem to be there for the money.[/quote]

Bunn?[^o)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="mre2"]Our best player this season got relegated last season, so it doesn''t mean all players from relegated side should be written off. Although I''d probably stay away from all of QPR players ,except Townsend, as they just seem to be there for the money.[/quote]

Bunn?[^o)]

[/quote]
I think he means Bassong, who was on loan at Wolves when they got relegated last season.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Bunn?[^o)]

[/quote]

I think he means Bassong, who was on loan at Wolves when they got relegated last season.

[/quote]

If he does mean Bassong it''s stretching the point he''s trying to make quite a bit.  As you point out he was on loan at Wolves.  He also only made 9 appearances for them!

Like we need another keeper.

Alex McCarthy has played 9 times for Reading this season. He played 10 times for Ipswich last season. He did not overly impress at Ipswich and has had one outstanding game (as all keepers do sooner or later) for Reading.

We have five (yes, five) good goalkeepers on our books two of whom are young and getting the best training from the best goalkeeping coach in the country.

Yet people want another, mostly unproven, keeper.

Oh dear.

Lets not bother, there''s plenty of decent players about without looking at those who haven''t been good enough to stay in the league.