taken over he has simply been realistic.When he first took over

it was clear that our defense was an issue and he responded by

strengthening it worlds apart to what it was last year (17 fewer goals

conceded compared to this time last year). As the seasons progressed its

become clear that going forward we are not where we should be so

Hughton''s tactics of containing teams and being a compact unit was the

only way we were going to points needed to survive this season.If

Hughton can strengthen us going forward next season as successfully as

he has defensively (the signs are so far good with the signing of RVW)

our Premier League future looks bright. I think we will see a whole

different mentality from Hughton next season...

I''d agree with that.  With the debt cleared, the club will be able to afford a couple of quality players who will hopefully come in and not just be here for the money (thinking of QPR here), and produce the goods on the pitch.Next season should be a good time to be a fan.

For me what also augers well is that CH has consistently said that we are not scoring enough so it is not that he is in denial or disagreement with the fans and it is already clear this is an area he wiill look to strengthen next year.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Negative but the greater impetus in the last two matches might, hopefully, point to a change in approach which augurs well for the future.[/quote]

He can''t be as negative as you Highland!! [:|]

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Possibly true but maybe, just maybe, we''ve both turned a corner...[/quote]Oh no! Does that mean the relegation party has been cancelled?  [:S]What''s going to happen to all those "Told You So" T-shirts? [:^)]

Just looking forward to Stoke with our new positive approach which, in my view, is more effective than the approach of recent weeks. Pity a few more of us aren''t travelling again - we took the full allocation last season.

Bingo!

The only thing Hughton has improved is the defence which has been outstanding and what has kept us in the league.

Its so easy to attack but if you do not have the correct tools you cant do the job.

He tried to get in RVW in Jan but we were unsuccessful he could have wasted the money on someone else but we didn''t. We brought in a loan player who gave us the massive confidence boast and buzz the club needed to get over the line.

As long as Mcnally has faith in Hughton then so do I

[quote user="Thisisbabyish"]As long as Mcnally has faith in Hughton then so do I[/quote]That one sentence is highly significant. Both Bowkett and McNally stated at the start of the season our only aim was to stay in the Premier League. I and many others never doubted them and after all they have achieved for this club and why would we? While the pant-wetters were whining ''n whingeing ''n wailing ''n whimpering, Bowkett, McNally let Hughton got on with the job. If he''s good enough for them, he''s good enough for me....Now, back to that BBC Predictor, just in case......[:)]

must admit looking forward to Hughton''s reign over the next few seasons...

Also just how far can we go, ok this is a bit tongue n cheek. But according to vast majority of fans including myself....

a) we can''t score, have no real strikers.

b) we have no creativity

c) we have good defensive midfielders but they can''t pass or shoot

d) arguably our first chocie rb been out injured for most of the season

e) First choice keeper out for the majority of the season.

Yet, after all that we sat 4 pts off 9th ?? So in reality, could we be the best of the rest and get 8th next season....if you count Top6 + Everton for top7 shoe-ins.

So in answer to your question, Hughton has played realistically and done amazing if all the above points are correct.

[quote user="Hootens yarmy"]When he first took over

it was clear that our defense was an issue and he responded by

strengthening it worlds apart to what it was last year (17 fewer goals

conceded compared to this time last year).[/quote]We conceded 58 goals in 34 premiership games last season. 53 goals in 34 games this season.We scored 47 goals in 34 premiership games last season.  33 goals in 34 games this season.In the Premier League we are 5 fewer goals conceded than after a similar number of games last season.

Stats like that only tell part of the story, CJF, as I''m sure you are well aware: we had next-to-no clean sheets last season, but 8 (i think it is) this time out. Keeping clean sheets is key at this level where, generally, goals are less ''available'' than at lower levels - and guarantees at least a point.

Imo it would be foolish not to admit that we have generally been better defensively as a unit this season - there are some hefty defeats in there (that we managed to avoid last season) which skew things, but we have definitely been better.

In my mind he is overcautious and we could have gained a few more points if we had tried to win games in the last 10-15 minutes with game- changing subs. Draws will always keep us in the bottom half of the Prem, whereas if we are a tad more adventurous we would have an outside chance of Europa League, so I really hope his mindset will change next season.   

Thing is, sides at this level are not as naive as Champs/Lge.1 so the late game-changing subs don''t happen as often - I don''t recall too many crucial game winning subs (orlast minute winners) for us last season when PL was here.

The thing about being more adventurous in the last ten-fifteen is tat it obviously has a flipsidethat you are possibly opening yourself up to conceding, too....I can well imagine the criticism if we continually went for it and came a cropper.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Stats like that only tell part of the story, CJF, as I''m sure you are well aware: we had next-to-no clean sheets last season, but 8 (i think it is) this time out. Keeping clean sheets is key at this level where, generally, goals are less ''available'' than at lower levels - and guarantees at least a point.

Imo it would be foolish not to admit that we have generally been better defensively as a unit this season - there are some hefty defeats in there (that we managed to avoid last season) which skew things, but we have definitely been better.[/quote]Agreed, we have better defenders now, and we play defensively. But we did get thrashed a few times last season, I can remember losing 5 and 6 to Man City for starters.   On the flipside, we have been appalling going forward this season, with 12 failed to scores.  Overall we are on less points than at this time last season.  But it is looking like we will be staying up so a job well done.

Clearing the debt is foolishness. Companies do not operate without debt and debtfree companies are objects for takover. Nothing will change next year because Norwich is a small club run by local directors with small ideas and the majority of the shares. Where is Plan A for next year (or Plan B for that matter)? Is it talked about? The answer is NO. Does anyone at the club have big ideas? Really, really big ideas? Are we going to have a Manager with Big ideas. Are we going to have a Ground big enough to hold enough fans for a Manager with big ideas? Are we going to sign Internationals who play for World Cup Countries? Are we going to pay double for our tickets or have our own TV station. Are we going to have shirts that are worn by every kid thoughout the World.No, No, No to all these quections. We are an Old Club full of Old Age pensioners and Children who write to Message Board without experience of life.

Where did that rant come from and more importantly what does any of it mean?

For all of michu''s goals and the pundits creaming their pants over swansea stle of play, they are only 4 points in front of us.

I think we have done really well with what we have, well done to everyone at the club.

Couldnt agree more with the OP

Roll on the summer and some exciting signings.

[quote user="Hootens yarmy"]I''ve seen a number of posts on here over recent weeks discussing Hughton''s apparent negative tactics however I feel that since he has taken over he has simply been realistic.

When he first took over it was clear that our defense was an issue and he responded by strengthening it worlds apart to what it was last year (17 fewer goals conceded compared to this time last year). As the seasons progressed its become clear that going forward we are not where we should be so Hughton''s tactics of containing teams and being a compact unit was the only way we were going to points needed to survive this season.

If Hughton can strengthen us going forward next season as successfully as he has defensively (the signs are so far good with the signing of RVW) our Premier League future looks bright. I think we will see a whole different mentality from Hughton next season...[/quote]

Absolute bollox !

This time last year we had conceded 58 goals against 53 now - and that was after a 6-1 tonking at Man City. Step back a game and the difference is 52 against 50 ....... two goals, and had we have played Man City last month rather than say Wigan or Southampton it could be that we would currently have more goals conceded than last season.

The real problem is one Hughton has caused, lack of goals. 33 this season so far, against 47 same time.

Look at Villa''s appalling defensive frailties - worst record by far in Prem Leage. And that, my friends, could have been us!!

[quote user="clarkey1972"]For all of michu''s goals and the pundits creaming their pants over swansea stle of play, they are only 4 points in front of us.

I think we have done really well with what we have, well done to everyone at the club.

Couldnt agree more with the OP

Roll on the summer and some exciting signings.[/quote]Swansea''s season was over when they hit 40 points and safety.  Not won in 5 games since. They are on the beach already, bathing in the glory of their League Cup Trophy and prospect of European football next season.

Norwich are the second most effective team in the Premier League this season based on points compared to finances. The real problem is that some so called fans are ever so miserable, ignorant and ungrateful.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="clarkey1972"]For all of michu''s goals and the pundits creaming their pants over swansea stle of play, they are only 4 points in front of us. I think we have done really well with what we have, well done to everyone at the club. Couldnt agree more with the OP Roll on the summer and some exciting signings.[/quote]

Swansea''s season was over when they hit 40 points and safety.  Not won in 5 games since. They are on the beach already, bathing in the glory of their League Cup Trophy and prospect of European football next season.
[/quote]

Which is a pretty damn enviable place to be in!

Two things I do find "negative" are not sending at least one centreback forward at set pieces and having every single player back to defend corners.

I can understand not sending defenders forward when we''re winning the game and have something to protect but that usually isn''t the case. And when we''re defending if we have everyone back it leaves the opposition with nothing to think about and leaves us without an outlet so if we clear the ball it''s more likely to come straight back at us.

I always thought we normally do have atleast a CB forwards for set-pieces, unless im imagining things.

Then again it''s pretty irrelevant because we''ve been more successfull from set-pieces than we have from open-play anyway!

I''m impressed how Bassong, Turner and Bennett R have managed to score while still defending at the back at the sametime