Sign in to follow this  
Shaun Tilly Lace

Do we already have enough points for safety?

Or, we beat Stoke on Saturday, Sunderland beat Villa, then we can mathematically guarantee our safety with a point against Villa the following week.

"It''s written in the stars. Sunderland, Stoke and Newcastle will (at least) get the one win each that takes them to 40 points, with their goal differences ensuring safety.We will draw with Stoke and WBA and lose to Villa, taking us to 40. Villa will beat us and Sunderland and lose to Chelsea, putting them on 40. Wigan will lose to Spurs and Arsenal but beat WBA and Swansea taking them to 37.And on the final day we lose at Man City and Wigan beat Villa, and we all congregate on 40, and it comes down to goal difference between us and Villa..."

Once again we are in the twilight world of the ever so ''umble where the real world doesn''t trouble their distorted reality. A world where goal differences remain static after each team has played 34 games.

A world where Stoke (37) will get a win (3 points) and a draw with us (1point) yet still have 40 points. Where Newcastles 3 goal difference between us is of far less a threat than Villas 7 goal difference - and that Newcastle have to lose one more game than us.

Still, when you set out to do the club down a few facts may have to be twisted.

I''ve had a fiddle around on the BBC predictor and with odd result adjustments any one of six fill the 18th spot.

Stoke failing to beat us on Saturday could be catastrophic for them, they will see this game as a must win and so will their fans. A draw would be a massive result as it keeps Stoke right in the mix.

Norwich need another win and the sooner it arrives the less pressure. Ideally, to beat Stoke or Villa would be the double whammy whereas West Brom is leaving it late and nervy.

Our players need to believe they still have it all to do or performances will dip and that would be fatal.

At present, anything is possible. Let''s beat Stoke and have a party vs Villa.

It''s all about the Stoke game right now. CH knows we''re not safe and so do the players. Another big, positive performance against Stoke and a point minimum and we''re looking good. A win would be massive and see us safe. It''s a must-win for Stoke, but I hope we take the game to them and catch them out. They have some tough, tough games after usVilla are the same really..lose or draw to Sunderland and it''s a must-win against us as they have 2 tough games to finish. Lambert has said it''s a must-win against Sunderland and Di Canio will be all about winning a 3rd on the trot so it''s going to be epic! Just hope that we''re on at least 39pts by the time they play each other on Monday!

[quote user="City1st"]

"It''s written in the stars. Sunderland, Stoke and Newcastle will (at least) get the one win each that takes them to 40 points, with their goal differences ensuring safety.We will draw with Stoke and WBA and lose to Villa, taking us to 40. Villa will beat us and Sunderland and lose to Chelsea, putting them on 40. Wigan will lose to Spurs and Arsenal but beat WBA and Swansea taking them to 37.And on the final day we lose at Man City and Wigan beat Villa, and we all congregate on 40, and it comes down to goal difference between us and Villa..."

Once again we are in the twilight world of the ever so ''umble where the real world doesn''t trouble their distorted reality. A world where goal differences remain static after each team has played 34 games.

A world where Stoke (37) will get a win (3 points) and a draw with us (1point) yet still have 40 points. Where Newcastles 3 goal difference between us is of far less a threat than Villas 7 goal difference - and that Newcastle have to lose one more game than us.

Still, when you set out to do the club down a few facts may have to be twisted.

[/quote]

I did say "at least" one win. What I inadvertently left out was "or beyond" from the phrase "takes them to 40 points or beyond..." I wasn''t necessarily suggesting that Stoke (who would indeed get a draw in my scenario), Newcastle and Sunderland would end up on 40, only that Villa, Wigan and ourselves easily could, and that others might. I plead guilty to it not being the clearest piece of writing. But what City1st fails to understand is that it really is jolly difficult to type on a computer keyboard from a position on one''s knees while simultaneously placing an online bet on relegation, ''umbly tugging at one''s forelock and adjusting one''s, er,  incontinence equipment.

[quote user="Herman "]Being a slap head I don''t have a forelock. What else can I tug?[/quote]

Herman, it is SO brave of you to come out like this! But admitting you have a problem is the first step to finding the solution. And you are not alone. There are thousands of us out there. So much so we have set up a web site to aid fellow sufferers: pantwettersanonymous.comYour particularly problem is covered in the section entitled: "Forelock tugging for baldies - what are acceptable substitute body parts?"But if you feel where you are living has caused your complaint then I cannot recommend highly enough "Move to the Lake District and reconnect with your inner optimist."The section on how to understand football league tables is also useful in curing the sane and sensible realism that scientists now believe is the root cause of pantwetting. It is a touch technical but essentially boils down to turning the tables upside down and taking the bottom as the top.

Can we add to that, my recent confusion in which league Norwich currently play in!

As I thought we were in the English Premier Leagus but recently been told by those who know more thank I, that it''s the Barclays premier league and nothing to do with English League...... I am confused now as some posters on here have told me that Norwich are not playing the England Premeir Division! can you please help Purple?

I think Wigan will lose to Spurs and Arsenal and beat Swansea and WBA....which (if we don''t get another point all season) would leave them a point behind us...leaving their last game at home to Villa, so it then depends on how many points Villa pick up between now and that game as to whether the fact that they play each other means that we''re safe?

Villa could conceivably beat both Sunderland and us in their next 2 games ,putting them above us , if we lose at Stoke........but just as easily lose both of them....afterwhich they then play Chelsea before going into that last match vs Wigan

I think that if we avoid defeat to Villa, we will be safe by virture of it being Wigan v Villa on the last day.

I think when the season is done, we will be safe as we stand today.   There will be shock unpredictable results but even so, three teams will fail to reach 38 points

However, every point is crucial. I have long believed that we would finish 14th on 42 points and I don''t think that is far out.

[quote user="Truculent Trucker"]I''m going to stick my neck out here and say that 38 points beats the drop, so we will being playing in the Premiership again next season, regardless of what happens from now on. 37 points means you are going down. What do you all think? How many points equals safety?[/quote]If  relegation is still mathematically possible...then obviously not!