Sign in to follow this  
gravycanaries

Ruddy to Arsenal?

Speaking to a few gunners fans today down from London in my local and they were saying that there has been a lot of talk in John ruddy moving to arsenal for 6.5 rising to 8 million in the summer. Just wondering what people think? Fair price, would you sell? If you would who would you bring in?

Again with this rumour? This has been doing the rounds for ages.We don''t need to sell.

We don''t need to sell, but we definitely have some choices to make on the goalkeeping front. For sure, Ruddy will not want to be on the bench, and I doubt Bunn will want to, either + we have Rudd/Steer as well. I can certainly see one of our main keepers leaving but at least we are in the position whereby we should get top dollar for them.

£6.5 million isn''t a fair price for England''s second best GK. And what do you mean £6.5 rising to £8.5 in the summer? It would be a summer transfer?

And Morty, doesn''t really matter that we don''t need to sell. Not many top clubs do need to sell. If Arsenal want Ruddy, and he wants to leave very little we could do about it.

When Stoke are touting prices around the 15 mil mark for Begovic, to suggest taking less than half of that for Ruddy would be ludicrous.It would need to be an offer well over 10 million to make it worthwhile.Everyone else seems to demand top dollar for their players, it''s about time we did as well.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]£6.5 million isn''t a fair price for England''s second best GK. And what do you mean £6.5 rising to £8.5 in the summer? It would be a summer transfer?

And Morty, doesn''t really matter that we don''t need to sell. Not many top clubs do need to sell. If Arsenal want Ruddy, and he wants to leave very little we could do about it.[/quote]

I don''t really know what I meant by that. Was typing it after a skinful in the pub!! With regards to it not being much money, goalkeepers never really command the high fees we see these days.

A genuine fair price would be at least £12m for me. He was for me the best keeper in the league before his injury (form not ability, though not too far away the consistency he''d shown). He still has several years as a top keeper and he''d cost a decent amount to replace. Even if we were offered that sort of amount I''d not take it.

[quote user="morty"]Again with this rumour? This has been doing the rounds for ages.We don''t need to sell.[/quote]
So? if Arsenal coming knocking Ruddy will go whether we need to sell or not, every man has a right price and if he wants to leave there''s nothing you can do and why wouldn''t he go if he''s being offered 1st team football.

I''ve said it before and I''ll say it again.  For the 8 or so games before Ruddy''s injury he was the best keeper in the Premiership. He commanded his area, caught everything near him, proved to be a fantastic shotstopper and his distribution was outstanding.  We shouldn''t sell but if we did 10-15 million would be a steal.

[quote user="gravycanaries"]Speaking to a few gunners fans today down from London in my local and they were saying that there has been a lot of talk in John ruddy moving to arsenal for 6.5 rising to 8 million in the summer. Just wondering what people think? Fair price, would you sell? If you would who would you bring in?[/quote]

We have always been  a selling club so on that note yes I think we should sell. It was the same with our talisman when albeit through paper talk he was linked with a sale to West Ham for a reported 6 million...I believe we looked a gift horse with that one.  I believe the money can be better serviced in other areas of the team mainly midfield and upfront. We already have a competent (but little raw) keeper in Bunn. He has deputised very well and I don''t believe we really need a keeper of his quality keeping the bench warm as back up...we can let Camp fill that role.  So yes...sell while his stock is high and put the money received into the funds for another quality forward or midfield player.

[quote user="Notts Canary"][quote user="morty"]Again with this rumour? This has been doing the rounds for ages.We don''t need to sell.[/quote]
So? if Arsenal coming knocking Ruddy will go whether we need to sell or not, every man has a right price and if he wants to leave there''s nothing you can do and why wouldn''t he go if he''s being offered 1st team football.
[/quote]He will have first team football here next season, he doesn''t need to move anywhere to get that.Yeah if he wants to go, he wants to go.But he is our player, and under contract, and I wouldn''t take less than 10 million.

Contracted till June 2016 with a one year further option.So Arsenal can poke off.

If Ruddy went to any of the top teams, bar Chelsea with Cech, I could see him being no1 for a long, long time.

We need to keep hold of him if we can!

£6.5m is laughable. Double that at least as we know we won''t be in line for any add ons if he goes to The Arse.

As much as i like Bunn, i wouldnt be happy knowing he was our no.1

Hes a fine no.2 but has cost us a few points this season i think.

Ruddy needs at least another full season with us before we consider letting him leave.

[quote user="clarkey1972"]As much as i like Bunn, i wouldnt be happy knowing he was our no.1 Hes a fine no.2 but has cost us a few points this season i think. Ruddy needs at least another full season with us before we consider letting him leave.[/quote]

We get this all the time but I can''t see McNally even think about less than £15mil for him, As already stated, We do not need to sell, we are or will be debt free come the end of the season, we can name our price and even £15mil would be a snip, Think people should learn to trust in McNally when he says we are no longer a selling club or soft touch.  

Difficult one. had Ruddy played all season i suspect we would be 2 or 3 points better off and safe by now, although Bunn has been a very competent understudy. Every player has a price and iwould have thought being on the fringe of England that £8 to £10m was the market value. Could we use that money elsewhere more productivley possibly. That said keeping him and him having hopefully a good season that could significantly increase his value. On balance i would keep him and build with the cash we have

Some players seem happy to up-sticks regularly whilst others seem to prefer to settle down in an area with family considerations to the fore.

I just get the impression that JR would be more concerned about his chrysanthemums than a move to North London.

Money will always talk obviously, but his career had been quite average until he was given the opportunity to shine at Norwich.  

[quote user="morty"]Lol, its not like the lure of silverware will take him to Arsenal!
[/quote]

Lol. When did they last win anything?

Swansea have shown you can sell your best players-for big money mind, and I''d expect us to do the same with Ruddy or anyone-and prosper on the proceeds-have they missed Joe Allen (£15 Million FFS!) or Scott Sinclair, come to that, or Brendan Rogers? More to the point, have any of them really prospered since they left?

Now Vorm and Williams are being linked with big money moves away this Summer-and they''ll get it and reinvest wisely.

In truth, there is no such thing as a club that doesn''t need or want to sell if the right amount of money is offered and we''re no different. But, regardless of whether people think he''s worth it or not, I''d put a value of at least £12 Million on Ruddy and make it clear-pay up or don''t bother asking, the end. We can''t claim to no longer be a selling club, finances and big bids that you can''t refuse, no matter who you are put paid to that-but we most certainly can stop being shafted over by people who think they can get our players on the cheap because we are Norwich.

Tell you what Arsenal, start at £12 Million plus Denilson and lets see where that takes us!

I think we''ll retain Ruddy and Bunn...each keeper will know that they have to be at their best to get picked which is excellent pressure to have on them.

I keep hearing that Camp will go back to Forest in the summer.  Whether that''s true I doubt we''ll keep him on unless Rudd or Steer goes somewhere.

I think either or both of Rudd and Steer to go out on loan next season.  We just need to make sure there''s either a recall agreement or we have an emergency loan keeper lined up should anything happen to Bunn or Ruddy.

I doubt Arsenal would be in for Ruddy...just doesn''t seem like a Wenger move.

Ruddy isn''t the type of goalkeeper Wenger likes, he generally prefers slightly smaller guys who are very quick off their line and have good distribution - he likes his goalkeepers to almost act as a sweeper and these are the exact qualities that Ruddy lacks (although his distribution has improved since Dave Watson''s arrival).

I highly doubt Arsenal will pay the £10m+ that Norwich could command for Ruddy, especially as it would be a departure from the style of player Wenger prefers. How many goalkeepers have been link to Arsenal in the past few years? And how many have they actually signed?

As for links to Man U, David de Gea has improved massively this season and Ruddy would be foolish to move into a club where he is almost certainly going to be a back up - to a goalkeeper younger than he is.

Anybody who thinks we''d get anywhere near £10m are completely deluded imo.

Anyway if we were offered in the region of up to £8m and Hughton was allowed to keep it for his player fund, I reckon we''d take it.

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Contracts don''t seem to be worth the paper they''re written on..... [/quote]Well they''re worth a lot more when they''ve got three years left on them. Let''s be honest though, if Arsenal want Ruddy badly enough he''ll be leaving. Either the money offered will be too good to resist and/or Ruddy will want to go.Would any player, especially one with no local allegiance, chose to stay at Norwich when Arsenal is an option ?

What would be the point in signing a top player like RVW at one end of the pitch only to let another quality player like Ruddy go at the other end for only a couple more million than RVW? Bunn is adequate cover but isn''t going to save us a significant amount of points like Ruddy can with world class saves. For as many points as we''d gain with RVW goals think about how many we''d lose without Ruddy at the back!

If he had to go £15m would be the absolute minimum + one of their fringe players