Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

Punching above our weight!!

Yes. Ruddy, Bassong, Snodgrass and Pilkington could get into top ten sides.

I can''t as many Stoke players getting into top ten sides, Wigan players or Villa players (apart from Benteke who could play for a top 6 side and Bent who could still play for a top ten side).

What position did Sunderland finish last season? Wasn''t it 9th? Therefore Turner. Although i''m quite probably wrong.

Bassong obviously. Ruddy definitely. Then it kind of depends on situation. I could see many top half sides taking a punt on Pilks and Snodgrass. But almost certainly as back up. Garrido could also fit in. Most would be happy to have Bunn as second choice. Holt last summer could have easily ended up at someone like Everton, even West Ham, they are top half at the moment aren''t they?

And despite many liking to put him down and question his input, Johnson. Yes he gives the ball away, but his role is so much more important than that. Watch, next time Garrido gets forward who covers. Its Johnson. Then watch when Martin gets forward. Who covers, its normally Turner. Just one example of something important Johnson does that many don''t even seem to acknowledge. I think Johnson could tempt one of the just in the top 10 sides.

Top 7: Ruddy

8-11: add Snodgrass, Bassong

12 downwards:  add Hoolahan, Pilkington, Martin R

Can''t see much opportunity for anyone else.

[quote user="zemas tendon"]

Would any of our players get into any other top 10 Premiership Team!! Perhaps Seb, Ruddy, Snodders!!

[/quote]

Hope not - quite happy to keep our best players here!

What a lot of people fail to recognise is that it''s not the individuality that counts but the team spirit / togetherness / playing for each other - witness the attitiude of the 2 Bennetts last Saturday - and the attitude of the rest of the team when they both scored - a real team performance - not one prima donna!

So, it''s not how an individual performs in isolation, it''s how the team benefits from an individual performance. And if you don''t believe me, look at the expensive "stars" that have been cobbled together at Loftus Road - and then see how much of a team ethic they have

I am a bit confused.

The thread title is "punching above our weight".

The question then is how many players in our team are capable of top ten premiership football.

A top ten finish at this point in time would be punching above our weight. But where we are now, even up to and including 10th is really just punching at the correct weight.

Top ten means nothing though. This season 9th and 10th places could include Swansea, West Ham or Fulham. I''d say we are not far off those teams really.

I still think if you look at the table and see that 11 points separates 8th placed West Brom and 17th placed Villa, you can see that it would suggest this season has levelled out a bit.

Personally I think this season has been pretty awful in terms of overall league performances. No one has been as standout as previous seasons. Man Utd are worthy champions but RVP apart they haven''t been astonishing or breathtaking.

The money will be a boost next season, but it will also mean that ''homegrown'' players will become even more expensive.

A top ten finish isn''t that hard to see happening. We are only 4 points off that now. If RVW can do in this league what he has done elsewhere we might have the goals to turn a few of those draws into wins. I mean, if you look at the last couple of weeks alone we''d have had two more points from Sunderland and one from Arsenal maybe, we''d only one point off that now. Not to mention the West Ham and QPR games earlier in the season or even the Wigan game more recently where just a little bit more quality in the box could have seen wins.

As I have said before, sometimes the gaps in this league, between the haves and have nots, are not as great as they once were.

[quote user="chicken"]As I have said before, sometimes the gaps in this league, between the haves and have nots, are not as great as they once were.[/quote]Good post Chicken and 100% correct, at the moment I can''t see any team from 8th down being certain of staying up in any given season.  The likes of Villa, Newcastle and Sunderland being in and around the relegation zone shows how much it has leveled up in recent years.  Promoted teams now get a ton of cash to spend. Any player that could be described as ''outstanding'' is picked up by the big boys in no time at all, premiership regulars like Fulham can easily lose their best players like Dembele and Dempsay. Successfully replacing them is always going to be hit and miss.