Sign in to follow this  
Grant Holts Moustache

Who and How would you approach the Stoke Game?

I personally would start with:

Bunn

Whittaker Turner Bassong Garrido

Snodgrass Johnson Tettey Pilkington

Holt Becchio

I''d play Garrido to combat against Etherington''s pace(if he plays permitting)

I''d also give KK a rest, bring him on as more of an impact sub. Gives Becchio a chance to prove himself.

I''d also contain the game as much as possible as Stoke will see it as a winnable game so a knicked win would be our best shot IMO.

Whats your thoughts?

Thoughts?

Why are so many posters keen to ditch Russell Martin?

What more does KK have to do to justify a start?

Same starting line-up as last week, with a slight inkling towards a Tettey- Howson switch.

Dunno really. I always used to be critical of Lambo''s selections before a game, but full of praise afterwards.

It is getting a bit that way with Hughton.

I though KK did well on Sat, but is there a ''looking to  the future'' if he is not required after the next couple of games? Martin hasn''t done anything wrong, but it could be that Whittaker could offer something slightly different in an away game?

No reason to change the team from Reading. Other than maybe Ruddy coming in. And Bennett for Turner is he''s out.

Bunn has been fine, good even. But he''s not perfect (not that Ruddy is, but you know what I mean). And like already mentioned plenty of times, Ruddy would deal with Stoke''s arial threat in the box much better, or more so, Stoke would target Bunn''s lack of arial superiority.

I hope that Ruddy is fit and will return against Stoke. He is a bigger man than Bunn, and will cope with an endless stream of high balls pumped into our penalty areas.

I''m not sure how well Garrido will cope with pace - he is quite slow and backs away. The main reason he holds on to his place is that Tierney is not reckoned good enough, and Martin and Whittaker are right-sided players.

I doubt whether CH will give anyone a rest. He will want to put out our best team. The game is winnable, and we ought to get at least a draw. Points are of the essence now before we get wallopped in the final game in Manchester. Three points at Stoke will lift all the pressure, both for them and for us.

Becchio will get his chance in the last two games I''m sure, but KK & Holt did a good job and considering the way we played in patches this weekend, why change anything other than Turner & Bennett?

I would drop Jackson out of the squad and bring back Becchio and that''s about it.

We would have options on the bench with Pilkington, Wes and Tettey, but no changes for me.

I''d start KK purely on the basis that he has a point to prove after being rejected by Stoke last summer. May want to show them they got that decision wrong.

Same team for me, Bennett in for Turner if he''s injured. I''d be tempted by Whittaker for Garrido but that''s it.

like to see Wes but Stoke would over run him

Against West Ham away Hughton left out Garrido and the explanation was the physical aspect so I wouldn''t be surprised to see Whittaker playing at LB again for this one.

Also to have KK and Holt on the pitch would help against Stoke at set pieces and give us a threat of our own.

Alternative would be to go back to 4-5-1 which has been Hughton''s standard formation away, in which case do you bring in Wes to play in the hole or put Howson there ?  The idea being can Wes get enough of the ball to open up Stoke, or do you prefer Howson because he''s that bit bigger?

As for Ruddy, I think Bunn''s main weakness has been against crosses where the other team like to put a striker right in front of the keeper, which we saw again with Reading.  So if Ruddy is fully fit and ready for a start, he would certainly add a lot against that threat.  But would you really want Stoke away to be his first game back.

I can see the arguments on all these points and I''m not sure TBH, except Whittaker for Garrido.  I will be fascinated to see Hughton''s decisions and I''m quite glad it''s him not me making them !

In my mind you don''t try to outmuscle Stoke, you simply outplay them, therefore we should be focusing on the skill and speed aspects rather than just sticking the ''big lads'' in.Apart from maybe bringing Ruddy back in goal, and Tettey in for Howson, I''d stick with the same side that started against Reading.

Play 442 as Stoke play back to front and extra midfielder would be wasted.

I would bring in Whittaker for Garrido, as I think he will be able to handle the physical nature of Stokes style. And Ruddy in for extra height too

I''d leave the rest the same as..

Back to 451 or a variation of.  Wes to return.We must not go a goal behind but a 0-0 draw will do just fine.

Same as the Reading starting XI but Hoolahan in for Holt, Tettey for Howson, and Kamara the one up front with Hoolahan behind him.Two DMCs give us (theoretically) more control and Hoolahan can drop deep to collect which prevents Johnno needing to try passes of more than 20 yards.

Jesus!  Some people!  Now is not the time to ''try people out''!

We still need points!

I''m surprised no-one''s mentioned giving Carlton Morris a go against Stoke!

[:^)]

Definitely revert to 451 - we were lightweight in the middle of the park.  

Key changes - Holt out and Tettey in and push Howson forward to be the link up player with Kei,  let see if he can play that role better than Wes.   Stick with Kamara who will want to show stoke what they missed out on, we only have him for a couple more games so rest grant for those (makes sure he is fit for the last 2 games),  Kei also offers a better aerial threat and pace as well as macthing Grants enthusiasm.  Pilkington to come on as sub and improve fitness in time to sink Villa.

So

Bunn

Martin   Bennett   Bassong  Garrido

Tettey  BJ

Snodgrass   Howson   Bennett

Kei

Subs

Camp Whittaker Barnett Becchio Wes Holt Pilkington

I suppose we could also just by pass the midfield. Maybe this;

Ruddy

Whittaker  Martin  Bassong Garrido

Tettey 

Snodgrass    Hoolahan    Kamara

Becchio Holt

Not that Hughton would ever be this adventurous. But I think this could work against Stoke.

Need to keep Holt and Kamara both in the team to build on the positive performances of the last couple of games rather than reverting to the post-Christmas negativity.

It will be one up front, I would bet my eye teeth on it.Not losing is more important than winning.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]In my mind you don''t try to outmuscle Stoke, you simply outplay them, therefore we should be focusing on the skill and speed aspects rather than just sticking the ''big lads'' in.Apart from maybe bringing Ruddy back in goal, and Tettey in for Howson, I''d stick with the same side that started against Reading.[/quote]

I thought Man U did both and didn''t allow Stoke to intimidate them

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]In my mind you don''t try to outmuscle Stoke, you simply outplay them, [/quote]

I thought Man U did both and didn''t allow Stoke to intimidate them