Sign in to follow this  
nu_matik

R.Bennett internal punishment over Twiiter remark

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[quote user="nu_matik"]I can see your point Morty 100% .. yet if you were at work, ''representing the company'', and you acted in a manner in which reflected the company on a bad way, you expect punishment. Just the way it is, not my opinion of whats right.[/quote]

I agree but presumably he wasnt on the training pitch or it wasnt during saturdays match while he was playing when he made the tweet. I do wonder why footballers feel the need for Twitter accounts though, it seems to bring them nothing but trouble.

[/quote]

No it was about 2am after the Arsenal defeat. Judging by what he said he''d had a few too many in Mercy.

[/quote]

That clears that up, i thought maybe a member of the coaching staff had flung him his phone onto the pitch instead of the water bottles during a stop in play.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="The Young One"]Reading his tweets he does come across as another thick footballer who doesn''t know better. If they choose to be on Twitter they must be able to stand abuse if they can''t then twitter isn''t for them, they are paid silly money to kick a football around and media attention comes with that and the associated responsibilities, so if they don''t have nice things to say in public they should button it.

[/quote]And there is the rub, jealousy about how much money they make, and how the trolls believe it should be them on the pitch.So just because of the job they do, they should be abused, and just take it?[/quote]

But no-one forces footballers to use the absurdly misnamed social media. It is not obligatory.

[/quote]Correct, but they have the same right to use social media as you or I do.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Ryan Bennett, Peter Beardsley & David Beckham are all playing Trivial Pursuit.

Who wins?

How long does it take?

[/quote]

Sad thing is you could change those names for about 95% of British footballers.

[/quote]Or for 95% of posters on here...

I think the extent to which we as British citizens have freedom of speech is MASSIVELY exaggerated in most people''s minds!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="The Young One"]Reading his tweets he does come across as another thick footballer who doesn''t know better. If they choose to be on Twitter they must be able to stand abuse if they can''t then twitter isn''t for them, they are paid silly money to kick a football around and media attention comes with that and the associated responsibilities, so if they don''t have nice things to say in public they should button it.

[/quote]And there is the rub, jealousy about how much money they make, and how the trolls believe it should be them on the pitch.So just because of the job they do, they should be abused, and just take it?[/quote]

But no-one forces footballers to use the absurdly misnamed social media. It is not obligatory.

[/quote]Correct, but they have the same right to use social media as you or I do.[/quote]

Of course they do. morty, but the truth is that there are a great many idiots out there in cyberspace, and any one using the social media is going to encounter some of them. It is the downside of whatever the heck the upside is that people presumably get from the experience. You are not going to have one without the other. Unless Ryan Bennett is remarkably stupid he must have realised that using twitter would lay him open to imbecilic abuse.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]Correct, but they have the same right to use social media as you or I do.[/quote]

Of course they do. morty, but the truth is that there are a great many idiots out there in cyberspace, and any one using the social media is going to encounter some of them. It is the downside of whatever the heck the upside is that people presumably get from the experience. You are not going to have one without the other. Unless Ryan Bennett is remarkably stupid he must have realised that using twitter would lay him open to imbecilic abuse.

[/quote]They could just as easily meet up with an idiot in the street though. Like I say they aren''t monks, they are entitled to live their life the same as anyone else. Virtually all the players are on there, and they seem to manage fine, I suspect that we can''t rule out he''s not the sharpest tool in the box. I am assuming you are unfamiliar with twitter, but people can be blocked and ignored pretty easily.

Pathetic, I know he''s standing up for his mate, but he''s a role model to so many kids. Causing altercations isn''t what he''s paid to do.

Twitter is a bad place for footballers to be, especially when they can''t keep their cool. If I was the club, I''d tell all the players to remove their accounts if possible. Whilst not trying to control them, they all need to be told that they''re not only representing themselves, but being ambassadors for a top level football club and role models for so many people across the world. You simply can''t say stuff like that, regardless.

[quote user="The Young One"]Reading his tweets he does come across as another thick footballer who doesn''t know better. If they choose to be on Twitter they must be able to stand abuse if they can''t then twitter isn''t for them, they are paid silly money to kick a football around and media attention comes with that and the associated responsibilities, so if they don''t have nice things to say in public they should button it.

[/quote]

Only twits use twitter...

Lol, yeah shut it down, along with that facebook thing.In fact the whole internet is full of paedos and viruses, get rid of the whole thing.Luddites![;)]

Plenty of players handle themselves just fine on Twitter. Elliott Bennett, Bradley Johnson & Seb Bassong to name just a few.

Holty & Twitter however didn''t really work.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]They could just as easily meet up with an idiot in the street though. Like I say they aren''t monks, they are entitled to live their life the same as anyone else. Virtually all the players are on there, and they seem to manage fine, I suspect that we can''t rule out he''s not the sharpest tool in the box. I am assuming you are unfamiliar with twitter, but people can be blocked and ignored pretty easily.[/quote]

If you meet an idiot in the street that is not your fault. But people choose to use the social media. I don''t know what the motivation generally is (there may be all sorts) but I assume that most people do it because they actively want to be in the public eye and get their views across to the world. Otherwise they could just use private communications such as emails, telephone conversations, actual conversations and letters. Or - as with footballers - they are already in the public eye and it is mainly an image/publicity thing. In both cases people can hardly complain if what are essentially vanity exercises on their part turn nasty.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]They could just as easily meet up with an idiot in the street though. Like I say they aren''t monks, they are entitled to live their life the same as anyone else. Virtually all the players are on there, and they seem to manage fine, I suspect that we can''t rule out he''s not the sharpest tool in the box. I am assuming you are unfamiliar with twitter, but people can be blocked and ignored pretty easily.[/quote]

If you meet an idiot in the street that is not your fault. But people choose to use the social media. I don''t know what the motivation generally is (there may be all sorts) but I assume that most people do it because they actively want to be in the public eye and get their views across to the world. Otherwise they could just use private communications such as emails, telephone conversations, actual conversations and letters. Or - as with footballers - they are already in the public eye and it is mainly an image/publicity thing. In both cases people can hardly complain if what are essentially vanity exercises on their part turn nasty.

[/quote]Can you see the irony of having this discussion, showing your distaste for one type of social media, on another type of social media?Perhaps their motivation to use Twitter is the same as yours to post here?My point is, why the hell shouldn''t they be able to do the same things as any other normal bloke? They aren''t demi Gods. And this claptrap about them being social models is ridiculous (Not your claptrap I know) on the same weekend we saw a grown man bite another man.

Twitter (for the common *ahem* man) seems to be an outlet for some, who are just fighting for a bit of fame, wanting to be noticed and given respect. The vast majority of these are male teenagers, or middle aged males who haven''t made anything of their lives.

I looked at a conversation between one such individual (younger )and Jason Roberts a few days ago, and this excuse of a human being, used every swear word that has been invented, in his 140 characters, just because Roberts had an opinion.

Certain users of Twitter are jealous of ''celebrities'' and use it to get one over them, ruining the whole experience for people who are mildly interested in their ''heroes''.

In this case, footballers who use Twitter are leaving themselves exposed to other Club''s fans, etc, and it is just a car crash waiting to happen, if the said footballer hasn''t got the brains to just keep everything on a level.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Twitter (for the common *ahem* man) seems to be an outlet for some, who are just fighting for a bit of fame, wanting to be noticed and given respect. The vast majority of these are male teenagers, or middle aged males who haven''t made anything of their lives.

I looked at a conversation between one such individual (younger )and Jason Roberts a few days ago, and this excuse of a human being, used every swear word that has been invented, in his 140 characters, just because Roberts had an opinion.

Certain users of Twitter are jealous of ''celebrities'' and use it to get one over them, ruining the whole experience for people who are mildly interested in their ''heroes''.

In this case, footballers who use Twitter are leaving themselves exposed to other Club''s fans, etc, and it is just a car crash waiting to happen, if the said footballer hasn''t got the brains to just keep everything on a level.[/quote]So as a twitter user are you fighting for fame or compensating for your lack of life?[:D]

I love twitter only because Sally Bercow is going to have to fork up 17K to Lord McAlpine. [<:o)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]Can you see the irony of having this discussion, showing your distaste for one type of social media, on another type of social media?Perhaps their motivation to use Twitter is the same as yours to post here?My point is, why the hell shouldn''t they be able to do the same things as any other normal bloke? They aren''t demi Gods. And this claptrap about them being social models is ridiculous (Not your claptrap I know) on the same weekend we saw a grown man bite another man.[/quote]

Oh, fully aware, morty! But two différences. Firstly I post under a pseudonym (no really, PurpleCanary is NOT my real name) and if one had to use one''s real name here I would stop posting. I value my privacy more than publicising my views to the world. If it was an ego trip I would use my real name. The other point is that I accept whatever antagonism I get. My views have sometimes been very unpopular. I received a great deal of abuse over Delia and Cullumgate. Not so much now, funnily enough, but at the time of the supposed takeover and for quite a while afterwards.

I thought Purple Canary was your actual name[:(]I take your points, but still stand by mine that just because they are footballers they shouldn''t be allowed to partake in whatever social media takes their fancy.

Morty - better ask my wife or my only mate!

I am not a Twitterer, but look into it (curiosity) through the Pinkun site at out current (why is Harry Kane still on that list?) and past players, and follow links from there. Some of it is car crash, and some of it is mildly interesting, to a City fan such as myself, but that could be said for a lot of goings on in this World, but Twitter happens to be there, on record, for evermore.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Morty - better ask my wife or my only mate!

I am not a Twitterer, but look into it (curiosity) through the Pinkun site at out current (why is Harry Kane still on that list?) and past players, and follow links from there. Some of it is car crash, and some of it is mildly interesting, to a City fan such as myself, but that could be said for a lot of goings on in this World, but Twitter happens to be there, on record, for evermore.[/quote]I am only an occasional user, and I only really follow City players. Its handy too if you have a question for McNally, he''ll tweet straight back, more often than not.Huckerby is hilarious on there.

When you break it down. The majority of the time Twitter is all about egos and the number of followers you have. Hold that thought for a second.

Now when you have ''a sportsperson'' setting up an account saying, this is really me, I do such and such for a certain sports team. At that point you have responsibility for not bringing your professional life into disrepute. Therefore if some fool tries to wind you up and your ego gets dented. First thing to do is to make sure your brain is actually in gear before you decide what to do, eg block them, or act like a bone head giving it large trying to get the last word in.

I''ve had a few arguments with Ryan Bennett on Twitter before. It was regarding the death penalty and such like. That said, he wasn''t nasty or aggressive. We just debated it and wished eachother well afterwards. I''ve noticed the other culprits tweeted fairly disgusting things to him and I guess it takes a certain kind of person to be happy to ignore these comments. I think the proof here is the guy involved actually deleting his tweets - guilty conscience or what.

However, they are representing the club and they should be able to keep their personal feelings in check. He''s a young lad with a bit of frustration in him clearly.

Bennett has been charged by the FA for misconduct

http://bit.ly/15GjQFh

Can someone tell me what the hell it is suppose to say.

Twitter should built something in that wont allow anyone to tweet if they have had a few too many sherbets.

Typical, Ryan get his chance and did okay only to drop himself in it.

Bennett will get a fine of a week or two wages, there''ll be a statement saying he is sorry and will not make the same mistake again. If needed he''ll play against Stoke on Saturday - no player has been banned for comments made on Twitter, not even Joey Barton.