Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Is OUR opinion of Green flawed?.

Good keepers today are like blue diamonds, everyone wants them and they come expensive.

Green is quickly running out of options for a move back to the Premiership if the media are to be believed, even the Pink Un says this now!.

Could it be because he''s not as good as we think, and often say he is?.

His positioning at crosses and certainly at corners, leaves a lot to be desired, and he does parry a shot rather than catching it, far too much for my own liking. So maybe this is why no one will pay too much, for what they see as an average keeper

Although as a dead ball shot stopper, he''s brilliant IMO.

Now it appears Portsmouth are thinking along these lines too.

Don''t get me wrong, I would love it, simply love it, if Robert was here for the big kick off in August. But should the question really be now, especially if you agree with the above:

Is he good enough even for us!.  

Of course he is!!!  Portsmouth will get Walker cheaper, that''s probably why they aren''t bothering with Greeno. Officially he is the 3rd best English keeper in the country so are we good enough for him?

Yes I think Rob Green is definitely good enough for us! He''s much better than Ward and Gallagher!!!

An interesting post - I suggest that maybe because of some of Green''s amazing shot stopping it makes people gloss over the parts of his game that are not up to the same standard - crosses and commanding his area. On the times I''ver met Rob Green he''s always seemed very shy and therefore I''m not too surprised that he struggles with commanding his area sometimes.

However I think the question should be - Is Green good enough for anyone to be prepared to pay £3 million for his services? Available for £1million and I think lots of clubs would be interested. He played well in the Prem last season but I don''t think well enough for any of the monied teams to want to risk him as their first choice keeper and £3 million is an awful lot to pay for a reserve keeper.

I firmly believe that the best way for Greeno to improve is playing in the prem where his weaknesses will be uncovered, forcing him to work on those but I belive that this will have to be with Norwich now as it doesn''t look like people are willing to pay the money for him.

Best scenario - Green stays with us for next season and improves on the areas where he is weak. We get promoted so he stays with us and improves dramatically with another season in the prem and a decent defence in front of him. Norwich stay up and Green signs a new contract as a first rate premiership keeper!!! He''s playing in the Prem and for England, Norwich have a top keeper - everyone is happy!

Of course Green is good enough for us...however I still would like the money spent in other areas.

The reason Green hasn''t been bought (yet) is one of value for money rather than quality...3 or 4 mill is an awful lot of money to spend on a keeper, almost a luxury and the European market offers better value for money for the mid / lower prem teams (where I beliieve Green would always be more likely to end up until established in the prem for a few years). Also the difference in keepers at prem level is very marginal, there may be 1 or 2 outstanding keepers (Cech etc) and the rest are all high quality but much of a muchness...so if you are say Charlton and have 10 million to spend do you spend 3 million on a keeper or try to pick up a cheaper marginally inferior keeper and spend the rest on outfiled players.

I think Greeno is a very good keeper, although not the top ''world class'' keeper some have thought. He deserves his England place, but is rightfully third choice for the moment. I agree he is an especially good shot stopper, his distribution has also improved (apart from a couple of glaring errors last season, was it against Chelsea?) but he must improve his work on crosses. Sometimes he appears glued to his line! He is definately good enough for us!!

I thought he would be good for Spurs, I thought Robinson would move on to a top 5 club. Greeno certainly isn''t ready for a top 5 club yet himself. Spurs would also probably have paid £3m for him. I''m not surprised by lower Premiership clubs showing an interest, but am also not surprised they won''t pay £3m for him (which is a lot for a keeper). Portsmouth going for Walker is a prime example - Walker is not as good a keeper, but is better value for money.

I agree that Premiership football will improve him more quickly, and I can understand him being worried about his England place for the world cup especially if Kirkland does move to WBA and remains injury free (which I doubt!). Maybe a change of coach would also help him improve (not meant to be rude about our coaching staff, but often a change can dramatically improve a player). I think his confidence needs working on, maybe that is why he stays on his line so much.

He will be the best keeper in the Championship (especially if Niemi moves on) and will be key for us. I hope we keep him, I think some are under-estimating 1. how good he is and 2. how important a good keeper is whatever level you play at. I really hope he stays. If he does go, good luck to him, and thanks Greeno for signing that contract last year which means we will get good money to improve other areas of the squad! I don''t know much about Ward, but trust he will be adequate for the next season if necessary.

[quote]Good keepers today are like blue diamonds, everyone wants them and they come expensive. Green is quickly running out of options for a move back to the Premiership if the media are to be believed, eve...[/quote]

I''ve been saying this all summer. Look at it from a Premiership club''s point of view. Would you want to sign a keeper who''s just been relegated and conceded the most goals in the league? But I still think he''s a quality keeper and I hope he stays.

[quote]I''ve been saying this all summer. Look at it from a Premiership club''s point of view. Would you want to sign a keeper who''s just been relegated and conceded the most goals in the league? But I still t...[/quote]

The counter argument to that, of course, is that the statistics show he''s saved more shots than any other keeper in the Prem (except, I think Gabor Kiraly - I think they both were pretty close).

I think he''s good enough for us, and works well in the team. He''s not a great motivator or organiser - which is why Malky was always important to us, as he did that. With him gone, I think in some ways we''d benefit from having a goalkeeper with these abilities, or a center back to organise.

I''d prefer the new center back option, and to keep Greeno - I personally think he''s one of the best shot stopping keepers around.