Sign in to follow this  
NCFC for life 1993-

Hughton's most damaging comment so far?

"Being in the game and looking good for THE DRAW at half time!"

Just watched the interview on the BBC website with Hughton after the stoke game. He talks the usual stuff of being right in the game but we didnt do enough when we had possession of the ball. He then said we looked good for the draw at half time?! This may well be a slip of the tongue by a manager clearly under pressure to see us over the line but again no shots on target...why take Bennett out! Many confusing decisions being made and not enought brave ones...we all too easily try and settle for what we have...this is our managers damaging mentality.

whoton is clueless. gives all the wrong messages and seems very defensive as a person. i used to wait untill we went a goal behind(well almost) because the team would get a bee in their bonnet and start to play. now it seem they think "we are a goal behind what do we do now"?. theres no fight anymore which is the main worry for me.

no more mr nice guy!

See, if we were winning (eg had the pen been given in the first half) he might have said: "Being in the game and looking good for the win at half time....". He was basing his comment on what the position was at the time. That is all.

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]yep clueless, apart from beating Man Utd, Arsenal, Everton at home this season...[/quote]and failing to beat QPR West Ham fulham Saints Toon and Swansea at home. A little more oomph and daring to win, we would be safe now. Esp Toon, QPR, West Ham and Fulham. 4 very poor teams when we played them.

If any of you were offered a point from this game before it was played wouldn''t you take it? I certainly would! Two points off a rival and another point towards safety for us, would of put us on 39 with three games left, two of which at home. And if 40 points is the safety mark, i''d of been happy with a draw. I''m not saying I wouldn''t of wanted a win because of course I would! But don''t take Hughton''s comment of "going for a draw" as a negative thing, tactically it would of been a sound result.

Or is it more of the lack of attacking intent you''re referencing and i''ve gone off on a massive tangent for nothing?

I thought it was Russell Martin who said that, but it was in jest at a journo question after the Swansea game.

I guess we are now poring over any and every comment and shining the most negative spin on it, are we?

[quote user="Media_Student"]If any of you were offered a point from this game before it was played wouldn''t you take it? I certainly would! Two points off a rival and another point towards safety for us, would of put us on 39 with three games left, two of which at home. And if 40 points is the safety mark, i''d of been happy with a draw. I''m not saying I wouldn''t of wanted a win because of course I would! But don''t take Hughton''s comment of "going for a draw" as a negative thing, tactically it would of been a sound result.

Or is it more of the lack of attacking intent you''re referencing and i''ve gone off on a massive tangent for nothing?[/quote]I agree totally.But don''t bother trying to reason with about 90% of people posting on here tonight, leave them to wallow in their self pity.

QPR West Ham fulham Saints Toon and Swansea at home. A little more oomph and daring to win, we would be safe now. Esp Toon, QPR, West Ham and Fulham. 4 very poor teams when we played them.

---------------------------

WOULD we of won those?

it''s all well saying if and buts, but there is no guarantee that we would of won those. or perhaps your crystal ball is a lot better than mine?

if we had gone all forward v swansea, they would of murdered us on the quick counter. and all of those teams mentioned had the same possibility. they looked timid because our defending made them look timid.

there are no guarantees in football. if we had gone for it in those games, we could of gotten 0 points from them.

now people say they would rather we lost 4-3 than draw 0-0. but without those points from the games you mentioned, wigan would have one more point than us and we would be in the relegation zone.

We would probably have beaten Newcastle had we have gone for it. It was that match, coming off the run defeats around Christmas, that set the pattern for what has followed - ''play for the draw, we''re nearly over the line''. The problem is that confidence, guile, belief, attacking intent have all been lost along the way.

that was the enitre point of my post.

what happens if we went all out for it against newcastle

wave of attack and attack and attack

our backline pushes up incredibly far to help with the dominating play

suddenly, toon with all their speed, are on the break and beat bunn.

"probably would''ve" is a phrase that should never be used in a game where anything can happen.

@Marty

I generally agree with what you say and do on this thread I would have been happy with a point alas we did not get that.

More attacking intent and we''ve taken more points from our home games post-Christmas. Confidence would have been greater and we might have leveraged this against teams like Wigan away where I don''t remember a shot on target. Not dissimilar from today come to think of it.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]More attacking intent and we''ve taken more points from our home games post-Christmas. Confidence would have been greater and we might have leveraged this against teams like Wigan away where I don''t remember a shot on target. Not dissimilar from today come to think of it.[/quote]

And there''s no way this attacking intent could have cost us points is there? We''d have still got all 38 points we have plus how many more? 12? 20?

It''s easy to talk a good game. I could talk us into the top half but somebody like Rudolph could probably make Champions League.

To me, his comment should have been:
"The game was still there to be won by both teams." 
but he chose draw. That isn''t something I''m too chuffed about. He blatantly played for 0-0 because based on both teams form that would have been a very likely outcome. Yeah I''m mad.

This is a rather silly thread - it is a completely accurate statement of the facts by Hughton. We were right in the game at half time, we didn''t make good enough use of the ball when we had it and at nil nil with the draw did seem like a likely outcome and would have been a good result.

I''m rather confused about why you think that it is damaging?