Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

The Midfield

Been reading a few threads on here where people have mentioned the midfielders and I think they are the reason for our lack of ANYTHING so far this season...First of all, the Leeds 3...Players who ultimately failed to take a so called "big club" back to the top flight, all 3 managed to sponge around in mid table of the 2nd tier until Lambert/hughton came calling.... Howson doesnt have the ability, Johnson is an average player... Snodgrass is the best of the 3, but unless his delivery of the ball is good he offers nothing to advance the midfield.we could sign much better than all 3.Pilkington for me is the best wide player we have, direct a good crosser and able to set others up. he hasnt looked out of place and with the right central players could go onto be a huge player for us.Hoolahan has showed his worth this level already, occasionally there are times where he wont be affective, physical sides will always get the better of him, however his importance should not be underestimated.Surman, Elliott Bennett, Korey Smith, Jacob Butterfield... none of these will be of the standard - move them on.Fox is the best passer of the ball at the club, him and Tettey could, and imo should, be first team regulars. look at our form in the games Fox played last season.... results hopefully speak for themselves.Due to a lack of ability in the midfield we cannot retain possession, win the ball back or create chances. our championship midfield has at times looked well out of its depth in the last 2 seasons... this MUST e addressed in the summer.i wouldn''t shed a tear if any of the Leeds 3 were moved on, we can sign better... and we should, Build a midfield around Pilks/Wes/Tettey with a ball winner, a playmaker, we must improxve this area in the summer especially with RVW coming in .

Agree with nearly everything you said. But I do think Bennett is good enough.

This is absolutely bang on Jas. Just why people think Johnson is so great is beyond me. He is a decent footballer but no world beater. His final ball and passing ability for me are average to say the least. Howson has not had a long run but looks lightweight. Snodgrass offers the most potential but his final ball is so often frustrating. I wanted all these ex Leeds lot to excel. But they haven''t. You have to look at team selections (all year) too and question Hughton. I guess he doesn''t have a lot of choice. I used to think we had a very competitive midfield. We have been found out most of this year.

It''s easy to complain I realise but as fans we are entitled to our views.i agree about Pilikington, Wes and Tettey. I would add in E Bennett too. And Fox. Why we think we NEED defensive midfielders is amazing. When the shape is right and midfielders can pass and create opportunities then you are more than halfway there. The Spanish in the last 6 to 7 years truly understand about midfielders. We should learn.

There is a case for a manager like Martinez coming in. But it won''t happen.

Johnson would be an excellent foil for a more adventurous, creative partner. Much like Gary Holt was. Never going to be a world beater on his own, but someone who enables others to.