Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

Need to attack Villa next week

No good sitting back against Benteke, Agbonlahor and Weinman next week otherwise it could be a repeat of the 4-1 cup defeat. Need to play 442 and hope Bassong isn''t injured!

I think our best strategy before the match is to coat the benches in the visitors dressing room with itching powder ( if we want a tie ) as well as fleas ( if we want a win ).

We needed to attack wigan and stoke, but instead we handed both 3 points on a plate. Hughton doesnt do attacking.

I expect we will use our set-piece threat against a vulnerable Villa defence, I think there''s a good chance of scoring 1 or 2 goals from corners and free kicks. We will, however, need to look after the Villa front line and not give them the chance to counter-attack too often, which is their main weapon and why they have been better away from home than at Villa Park this season.

So much negativity in all the other posts which I find strange given our excellent home record this season - we haven''t lost at FCR in 2013 but you wouldn''t think it from the previous posts.

The big difference between Villa and us is. Their strikers score goals ours don''t . I hope that I am very very wrong but, I do not see us winning anymore games this season.

I understand the sentiment after today, but Villas need for all 3 points may be greater than ours - depending on their result against Sunderland. It could be that playing deeper prevents the Villa forwards getting in behind and using their pace.

Lambert loves being the underdog and using it against the home team. I hope the crowd can stay with the team for this one.

I wouldn''t mind starting with Becchio up front with Howson in the hole. 4-4-1-1 could be effective but we need Bennett to provide pace.

[quote user="NWCoastCanary"]I understand the sentiment after today, but Villas need for all 3 points may be greater than ours - depending on their result against Sunderland. It could be that playing deeper prevents the Villa forwards getting in behind and using their pace.

Lambert loves being the underdog and using it against the home team. I hope the crowd can stay with the team for this one.

I wouldn''t mind starting with Becchio up front with Howson in the hole. 4-4-1-1 could be effective but we need Bennett to provide pace.[/quote]

Depending on Villa''s result against Sunderland a point apiece may be good enough. We have a good record against them in the league so a point is the minimum we should expect.

Well I was at Villa Park for our away fixture and we dominated the second half...

although the OP is quite right that Benteke (a striker so obviously the goal is worth more) scored where-as Turner is only a defender so we clearly didnt deserve anything..

I think he''d be willing to go 442, same team that beat Reading if possible. If not, I''d predict 4411 with the reintroduction of Wes behind Either Holt or Kamara.

I''d like to see Pilks and Bennett back in contention for this game too if he does go 442. Give Snodgrass a rest? Although he''s one of the first names on the team sheet every week. What about Fox, give him a chance to impress alongside Johnson/Howson/Tettey? His defensive mindset and distribution might be a good balance with a more attacking player such as Wes or Howson to distribute to, or to help sure up the middle next to Tettey/Johnson.

Could even reintroduce Garrido, hadn''t done a lot wrong to be dropped, could give Russ a rest for this one?

Whatever happens, I would love it if we beat them, love it! And i''d love it more if we really batter them in all!

Lambert has a great record at former clubs.

Villa score goals away from home, we are toothless.

Lambert will be fired up for this one and his players will feed off it. Hughton has no such history.

I cannot see anything other than an emphatic Villa win as much as I want to beat Villa. If this is the case then I can see the crowd turning on Hughton despite the fact we have a second home game as a banker.

[quote user="Eggy"]The big difference between Villa and us is. Their strikers score goals ours don''t . I hope that I am very very wrong but, I do not see us winning anymore games this season.[/quote]

The big difference between Villa and us is 4 points and 6 goals difference.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Lambert has a great record at former clubs. Villa score goals away from home, we are toothless. Lambert will be fired up for this one and his players will feed off it. Hughton has no such history. I cannot see anything other than an emphatic Villa win as much as I want to beat Villa. If this is the case then I can see the crowd turning on Hughton despite the fact we have a second home game as a banker.[/quote]

Rudolph old buddy.. what happened to winding yer neck in and getting behind us for the rest of the season?

I really don''t get this negative attitude towards the Villa game. We have lost only 3 times at home this season and beaten far better sides - or at least taken draws - yet we are apparently destined for an ''emphatic'' defeat. If PL is so great against former clubs, why did we not lose there earlier in the season?

I just hope those who are so convinced that we''ll lose will give up their tickets to some who aren''t quite as pessimistic.

I''m not convinced Villas famous attacking football is all its cracked up to be. They''ve scored 36 PL goals this season compared to our 33. Not that much difference!

Oh, and they''ve conceded 9 more goals than what we have. Villa are poor and error prone at the back.

I am still worried for this match however as I suspect Lambert may have the Indian sign over us. I hope I''m wrong.

#squeakybumtime

[quote user="Haggerdoo"]No good sitting back against Benteke, Agbonlahor and Weinman next week otherwise it could be a repeat of the 4-1 cup defeat. Need to play 442 and hope Bassong isn''t injured![/quote]

We played 442 in the cup game. Holty and Morro up top. So you could argue that it did not work.

However it led to a very open game which we could have won had we have taken our chances early in the second half. Leon struggled against Benteke and Weimann all game so if he is thrown in I feel we will need to score goals as they definitely will.

However in response to that game I think Hughton will try to keep it tight, surprise surprise. A draw is a likely to be a better result for us than them.

But we need to seriously hope Bassong is available and Turber fit again.

Can''t see us getting nothing from the Villa game. Hughton will not change things and it''s getting very frustrating. Lambert will go for it, unlike out current manager, and get his rewards.

I''m sick of us playing crap, negative football and the blame has to lie with the manager.

By the way some are on here, you''d have thought Villa had scored loads more than us. Want to know how many more? Its 3. 3 Whole goals.

Also, going for it and getting rewards. Go familiarise yourself with the table. Have a look, I think you''ll find Villa are below us?

GP - Setting the attack vs defence debate aside for a moment, the fear has to be that Lambert wins the psychological battle before the players enter the stadium.

[quote user="flecky76"]I''m not convinced Villas famous attacking football is all its cracked up to be. They''ve scored 36 PL goals this season compared to our 33. Not that much difference!

Oh, and they''ve conceded 9 more goals than what we have. Villa are poor and error prone at the back.

I am still worried for this match however as I suspect Lambert may have the Indian sign over us. I hope I''m wrong.

#squeakybumtime[/quote]

THIS.

[quote user="flecky76"]I''m not convinced Villas famous attacking football is all its cracked up to be. They''ve scored 36 PL goals this season compared to our 33. Not that much difference!

#squeakybumtime[/quote]

They will only be error prone at the back against us if we pit them under some pressure,

I agree that the Lambert connection is a concern. This match may well be more like a derby game with the form book going out of the window. That of course could be in our favour if a number of the views posted are to be believed.

The stats about goals F/A between us and Villa are a bit false because they are over the course of 35 games but before Christmas we where pretty good and Villa where pretty awful but since the new year its been rolls reversed. I would be interested to see those stats since Jan 1st.

That''s my concern. Although we''re in a better position than Villa, in 2013 they are the much better side and I can potentially see a heavy loss on the cards. The only hope for us is that Villa leak goals, but are forward line is rubbish no matter what anyone says!

No doubt Hughton will be praising the opposition saying how great they are. Villa aren''t great, it''s just currently we''re much worse.