Sign in to follow this  
AA

HOWSON

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Keep losing midfield battles. We got outplayed for large periods against Reading. I haven''t really seen us control a game.

I''m gonna get shot for this but I think we overrate tettey and johnson. Limited footballers.[/quote]Spot on.Midfield (especially central) just isnt good enough.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Keep losing midfield battles. We got outplayed for large periods against Reading. I haven''t really seen us control a game.

I''m gonna get shot for this but I think we overrate tettey and johnson. Limited footballers.[/quote]I don''t think either are overrated as such, but we simply need to only play 1 of them, and purely as a defensive midfielder who will pass the ball on to a more creative outlet.The problem is that we haven''t had that creative outlet since Fox got dropped, and Howson isn''t good enough in the role to be truly effective at the same job.We genuinely need a central midfielder with top class distribution, vision and work ethic, who can help supply the wingers and forward line with the ammo they badly need.

Our midfield is simply not good enough.  I dont think howson is any worse than the others but he brings a losing record that is to be honest appalling across a variety of positions formations and teams.  His results are consistent.

I do struggle with the concept that he was the best midfielder because he was the only player to try and pass forward;   so did Bunn but what does that show?   Only any good if you pass forward and find your man or create a chance.   And when you don''t do that you have to be effective defensively.   When wes is more effective at both its a bit hard to swallow.

We need better and I am sure it will come in the summer.

While I agree our midfield is not full of world class individuals I still think it is our tactics, managerial direction and possibly formation that have been the issue. I don''t hate Hughton but our current run cannot be entirely blamed on the quality of our midfield.

I personally see no reason why against any other teams but the top ones we require 2 DM, that''s 6 outfield players almost entirely dedicated to defence.

I can''t understand why we haven''t tried a 4141 with one of tettey/Johnson protecting the back four and two CM allowed to roam. Fox or I''d even play hoolahan in the centre two with probably howson. The obsession with midfielders that can tackle at the expense of all attacking attributes is killing our central midfield. Do you really need 3 players effectively playing as dm against stoke ffs?

Exactly! I couldn''t agree more. Whilst i truly admire some of our fans commitment to backing our players 110%, I do feel its just one excuse after the other for Howson. He is playing in central midfield, he has had a good run of games... Its not as if he is playing left back or upfront. He is a good player, he just doesn''t have that premiership spark, he will rarely ever score or threaten to score or have an assist for that matter. For example you can tell that Hoolahan, Pilkington or Bradley Johnson have something about their game, I just cant see what it is that Howson provides. Pace, strength, vision, goals (?) and Tettey is def better at winning the ball back albeit due to his physical advantage. This is the Premiership, everyone needs to be Premiership class.

Again, its the present that counts and I do feel we can improve this position if we are in the Premiership. Central Mid def needs improvement.

I sincerely appreciate Howsons effort, I do think he is a gifted footballer, I just cant see him making it in the Prem. He will be a captain and a great player in the champ. I dont think any other Prem team would want to sign him right now either... and I dont see the point in keeping him in the hope that his confidence, strength or ability will grow?

[quote user="AA"]Exactly! I couldn''t agree more. Whilst i truly admire some of our fans commitment to backing our players 110%, I do feel its just one excuse after the other for Howson. He is playing in central midfield, he has had a good run of games... Its not as if he is playing left back or upfront. He is a good player, he just doesn''t have that premiership spark, he will rarely ever score or threaten to score or have an assist for that matter. For example you can tell that Hoolahan, Pilkington or Bradley Johnson have something about their game, I just cant see what it is that Howson provides. Pace, strength, vision, goals (?) and Tettey is def better at winning the ball back albeit due to his physical advantage. This is the Premiership, everyone needs to be Premiership class. Again, its the present that counts and I do feel we can improve this position if we are in the Premiership. Central Mid def needs improvement. I sincerely appreciate Howsons effort, I do think he is a gifted footballer, I just cant see him making it in the Prem. He will be a captain and a great player in the champ. I dont think any other Prem team would want to sign him right now either... and I dont see the point in keeping him in the hope that his confidence, strength or ability will grow?[/quote]

I certainly wouldn''t sell the lad unless there was a decent return and we had at least 2 better players lined up. I''d keep him and get another quality player in. We have no other CM otherwise (Fox is basically finished with us and the others are DM''s).

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="can u sit down please"]Keep losing midfield battles. We got outplayed for large periods against Reading. I haven''t really seen us control a game. I''m gonna get shot for this but I think we overrate tettey and johnson. Limited footballers.[/quote]

Spot on.

Midfield (especially central) just isnt good enough.
[/quote]

Kind of agree. Have a lot of Leeds fans around here and they all say similar things about Howson i.e he needs a decent player next to him to allow him to be a bit more free. Johnson and Tettey do the breaking up bit well, but then look a bit confused after. Someone a bit more composed, but equally destructive would really help Howson I think who has plenty or workrate himself, but can''t be left with the sole responsibility of making something happen. 2 players working in tandem and with good work ethic and passing/vision would be perfect. I know that''s easier said than done, but that''s what I''d love to see us aim for. Otherwise we need to get a player who can carry the ball and take people on whilst Johnson/Tettey break up play and then pass it off and protect the back 4. If we have Howson playing I''d say he needs someone who can think about getting forward as well..someone who thinks about 1-2s and taking the initiative. Taking it in turns to attack/defend rather than 1 staying defensive and 1 trying to make things happen, which can be more predictable.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Keep losing midfield battles. We got outplayed for large periods against Reading. I haven''t really seen us control a game. I''m gonna get shot for this but I think we overrate tettey and johnson. Limited footballers.[/quote]Tettey and Johnson are ok Defensive Midfielders, but that is it.  Against Stoke on Saturday, we played Howson and Johnson in our usual two central midfield defensive positions, we then played Tettey behind them!ie  Three defensive central midfielders!  You would think we were lining up at the Nou Camp, not playing a dismal Stoke team below us in the league and on a dismal run of form ....

I wonder if Tettey''s behaviour on Saturday provides the key to our problems? I really rate Tettey, he is superb at winning the ball back (far better than BJ in my opinion) & will frequently then set off on a run with energy & intent ... then stops, & passes sideways or back. On Saturday he was even running as far back as he did forwards!

The only possible explanation I can find for this is that he has NOBODY TO PASS TO. It is our running & movement off the ball that is not good enough.

OK, you might not expect it from BJ. But that should be Howson''s job, & he just doesn''t do it. Snodgrass was on the wrong wing, Martin doesn''t (is not allowed to) overlap much. So there was simply nobody within passing distance in a forward position.

Wes is much more mobile & drags the opposition around continually. It''s one of the many things that won''t appear in his stats, but which make him our most valuable attacking midfielder.

I don''t think we''re actually that far off a decent team. Two, maybe three players (& we are already getting one). But above all, a quality midfielder would transform us