Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Get Holt off now!

Only time I noticed him was when he was giving away stupid freekicks and moaning at the ref. If that performance had been delivered by Steve Morison he would have been crucified by our fans and its not a one off for Holt.

While i agree Holt has had a indifferent season, i think Van Persie would struggle with the attacking intent we show in away games particularly. Big big improvements going forward needed for next season should we stay up.

Surely Becchio has to start against Villa, every time Holt goes near the ball I fear he will dive in and get sent off, at this stage of the season we cannot afford to take that risk.

Against Villa we need to press high up the pitch to force their inexperienced defenders into making mistakes, Holt is not the man to do this.

Holt offers absolutely nothing, it''s like we go into each game with ten men.

We can''t play him any more and we have to sell him this summer. He is a liability

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]Holt offers absolutely nothing, it''s like we go into each game with ten men.

We can''t play him any more and we have to sell him this summer. He is a liability[/quote]

Oh dear, this is very embarrassing,[:$] but based on what little football I''ve seen RtB''s view, allowing for a bit of hyperbole, is not that disimilar to my own.

[quote user="Yellow Messiah"]Giving a perfect display of why we must get rid of him in the summer. The only thing he is good at is being a liability.[/quote]

Fat,lazy,slow,out of shape and totally overrated are they enough adjectives to describe Holt. Please...can somebody pack his suitcase and get him on the first Greyhound out of this club...

Genuinely thought Holt was alright today. Better than when I''ve seen him recently i.e Arsenal. Some good touches

Totally lost it. He is of literally F-All use to us right now. A pure liability with little potential for forward movement. We should have ousted him months ago. Shame.

He doesn''t spend enough time in the positions he should be in. That''s the main problem for me. At one point today Kamara was challenging for a header on the right wing, inside Stoke''s half. Holt, rather than being close by to try and get near a flick on or similar, was stood on the left wing, on the half way line, chatting to Snodgrass, a good 50 or 60 yards away from the action. When you''re playing one upfront, you can''t afford that sort of thing.

We also changed the "front 3" of Snodgrass, Kamara and Holt around quite a lot, so often Holt was right wing, or Kamara left, with Snodgrass central. Absolutely no point in that, if Holt''s not playing through the centre then swap him for Pilks, absolutely no point whatsoever in him being out on the wing. He''s not been much use centrally recently but on the wing he''s completely ineffectual.

Exactly, quiet embarrassing. I cant wait for close season IF we stay up with R.V.W here and we can buy a good £20m worth of attacking players to support him. Really scraping the barrel at the moment. Im aware we dont have much choice but my god are the tactics wearing thin with me.

On reflection, perhaps Kamara central would have been the best option with Holt on the bench and Benno on the right.

Holt''s decline has been dramatic and Kamara was forced into dead ends by the Stoke defence.

I agree we got stifled of all creativity ... but you guys not see Holt playing like a petulant 16 year old. He is supposed to be out ''talisman'' ! From the captain ive know the last 3 years im frankly embarrassed to see him play for us the few games

It was quite noticeable that the commentators on the stream I was watching called him out a bit- the situation when he got booked they pointed out he didnt actually try and chase down the ball and instead waited until Huth had it covered and then trotted over in some strange attempt to win a corner.

Whilst I agree holt offered very little yesterday but what service did he actually receive?? Also who actually played well yesterday??

Is this thread populated by supporters of Ipswich Town Football Club?

Some of the invective levelled at the mainstay of our Phoenix- like rise of recent seasons is perfectly unbelievable.

GH may not currently be the player he has been in the past, age might have caught up with him, pastures new might be appropriate, but some perspective perleees. Some of this stuff is downright spiteful.

Undignified IMHO. 

I agree with most that has been said. I think he is really becoming a liability. What has Becchio got to do to get a go? Look at what happened when we actually tried to get forward after 75 mins or so. Did you see him performing as our talisman...? The game was dire , our performance cr@p

Never thought I would say it, but it does look like it was a mistake not to cash in on him when he wanted to leave.

I probably agree that some blame can be laid at the managers feet in terms of motivation and team formation.

However, I can''t help thinking that after the contract saga there is a hint of holt feeling he proved he was bigger than the club and has sat back on his laurels a bit this year. Fact is once a player says he want to leave you should probably let him.

the absence of any genuine competition for him has probably not helped either.

Having said all that, in the ideal world he could still turn it around in the next few games to ensure our safety. He could then leave with his head held high and quite rightly leave as a legend.

Sorry, but that''s rubbish. Anyone who thinks Holt doesn''t want to be scoring goals every week and earning himself an England call up should check themselves into Hellesdon immediately. I''d suggest his recent performances are down to frustration rather than him resting on his laurels.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Sorry, but that''s rubbish. Anyone who thinks Holt doesn''t want to be scoring goals every week and earning himself an England call up should check themselves into Hellesdon immediately. I''d suggest his recent performances are down to frustration rather than him resting on his laurels.[/quote]

I am sure he wants to, but In recent games he hasn''t shown the effort, motivation or skill to do so! The passion may be there but it is certainly not being channelled in the right direction!

[quote user="rock bus"]Never thought I would say it, but it does look like it was a mistake not to cash in on him when he wanted to leave.

I probably agree that some blame can be laid at the managers feet in terms of motivation and team formation.

However, I can''t help thinking that after the contract saga there is a hint of holt feeling he proved he was bigger than the club and has sat back on his laurels a bit this year. Fact is once a player says he want to leave you should probably let him.

the absence of any genuine competition for him has probably not helped either.

Having said all that, in the ideal world he could still turn it around in the next few games to ensure our safety. He could then leave with his head held high and quite rightly leave as a legend.[/quote]100% agreed.... all the Holt supporters need to ask one question and one question alone... he handed in a transfer request last year, why?his head was turned, be it by ego, agent, Lambert to Villa or other situations... he handed in a request as he wanted to leave...i did a thread about this a week or 2 back... I feel   someone on the board metaphorically "sh*t themselves" at the thought of losing Lambert and Holt at the same time, so the club dropped its pants and bent over rather than risking the wrath of the fans....Hindsights a wonderful thing isn''t it City Directors?

I am still slightly suspicious of Calderwood''s influence on Holt. They did not get on well when CC was managing Forest whatsoever. CC also tried to get Holt playing out on the wing rather than focussing on what he does best; getting in the box and scoring goals. I know Holt always wanders around, but his focus on getting onto the end of things this season just seems to have gone towards something else.

He''s the sort of player who will always give 100% regardless. Even if his head has "been turned", he will still be desperately wanting to win games of football, that''s how he plays the game. I just think there is something with the set up behind the scenes that has not got him as focussed as he has been.

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="hazza9"]Whilst I agree holt offered very little yesterday but what service did he actually receive?? Also who actually played well yesterday??[/quote]

THIS. [/quote]Strikers do have a part to play in creating the chances though. For me a classic example is the first goal we scored against Swansea. Kamara received a fairly average ball, back to goal but held it up well and slipped a great ball in to Bennett as he overlapped, cross, goal. No goal or assist for Kamara but he made the most of a fairly unpromising situation. Holt has not done this recently. You only have to look at the performance Cameron Jerome gave yesterday (a fairly limited player at best) to see what Holt is not doing.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]Holt offers absolutely nothing, it''s like we go into each game with ten men.

We can''t play him any more and we have to sell him this summer. He is a liability[/quote]

Oh dear, this is very embarrassing,[:$] but based on what little football I''ve seen RtB''s view, allowing for a bit of hyperbole, is not that disimilar to my own.

[/quote]

oh!.....

Assuming we stay up I would be very surprised if Holt is still a City player next season.I think time and where the club want to go has caught up with him.

Sadly, I have to agree. Holt has been a great servant of the club, but does not seem to be able to do so any longer. Against Villa KK must play (-his last game), and perhaps Becchio with him.

For the last two games the cupboard is bare - Holt, Becchio, Jackson. Perhaps we should go back to a single striker, but have Snoddy, Howson, Wes or Benno playing off him, depending who is on the wings.

I find it all rather sad, but Holt finds it difficult to put the ball in the net from any attempt more than five yeards out from goal.

How many clear cut or half chances has he missed this season?? Come on, Holt has never really been a player who calves out chances for himself, we all know what he thrives under and that''s service and we used to deliver so that''s how he got most of his goals and he''s just not getting that anymore. If he leaves this summer it will be down to Hughton''s tactics and nothing to do with Holt''s attitude or where he wants to live or his goal scoring ability. What im saying is if we played to his strengths i have full faith in him scoring 10-15 goals next season. Lets face it you don''t turn into a awful player over night!