Sign in to follow this  
White stuff

Midfield clear out ready for Winkel

Before you go on the Attack yes I was at the Stoke game yesterday and only missed 3 away games ''league that is.

You all praise up our Midfield like they''re Barcelona in Disguise and frankly Snodgrass on his day is the only one worth keeping IMO.

Our midfield basically without a major clear out and new payers to come in will have a devastating effect upon the way Winkel performs next season, and I ain''t talking about someone who''s full of running I''m talking a player that can change games just like that.

Howson out, Johnson out ,kamara is just a lol, and pilks is good every 10 games and that''s it, Wes''s best games are behind him.

Howson has bags and bags of potential and I will argue this to my death. In fact, I think he has so much potential that if he was offered a place at a different club that would use him CORRECTLY I''d drive him there myself.
Oh damn, you''re just a troll... 

Thing is, we can''t develop the squad by shipping out half the team. We haven''t got the resources/reputation to sign the real top-drawer players, and making them gel would be difficult.

Best thing to do is to get rid of the fringe midfielders and bring in 2/3 quality additions if we can secure them at the right price. The squad will then naturally evolve over time, but I do agree we are definitely missing quality in that area.

Can''t disagree with that either. Also would keep Pilkington as like Snoddy is a threat when allowed to attack. Apart from those 2 i wouldn''t be fussed with losing the rest.

I agree players like Johnson and Howson have a lot of potential, but we need to have a balance between potential and current quality.

At the moment we have a lot of potential (as everyone keeps saying), but not enough players who actually perform consitently well and show enough quality on the day.

I hope we have tettey and Johnson battling for a central midfield role and I totally agree where the rest of our midfield sit, as squad players for next season. I believe out of all of them snoddy can show Hughton that he warrants a starting position next season, but none of the others do.

I expect at least one attacking midfielder in the central role and I believe we need another. Wide players again I would bring in two.

I do not think any of our midfield group would be touted for by premiership teams, or those being promoted.

I do think we have missed Surman , but again I do not think he is a player who would get much time next season, but will be a valuable squad player.

[quote user="Stig"]Howson has bags and bags of potential and I will argue this to my death.[/quote]he might have the potential but what of the ability?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Stig"]Howson has bags and bags of potential and I will argue this to my death.[/quote]he might have the potential but what of the ability?[/quote]

Ability will always override potential however way you look at it especially in this division.

[quote user="White stuff"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Stig"]Howson has bags and bags of potential and I will argue this to my death.[/quote]he might have the potential but what of the ability?[/quote]

Ability will always override potential however way you look at it especially in this division.[/quote]and thats why we say "Thanks" to johnny Howson and wish him all the best at his new club this summer.

I say potential because out of position he can''t display the ability he does have! RIUHYOUGOAIHIUFGIUGFHOEIHIUH you people sh*tposting are horrific.

Agreed Whitestuff, certainly if you follow regularly away you realise the weaknesses of our midfield if we are to persist with the style of football we are currently practising. Unfortunately, of the two games I''ve missed one was Swansea so have not seen an away win all season. Oh we''ll off to City next!

The only indication of who might be coming in came from RVW with his ''two (quick) wingers and an AM'' quote. If this is realised then I think we will see more squad rotation next season rather than having to play the same 11 nearly every time. Pilks and Snoddy will still have a part to play though but we will only need one back-up for the AM so I see a nervous summer for Wes, Butterfield and possibly Howson. I still would like to see a DM who can pass come in though as I think that is where Johnson and Tettey lack PL quality.

I''ve been saying similar for a while. Whilst Johnson is doing his job well this season he is a very limited footballer and if we want to take the step to the next level we need to improve on him. It is our lack of ability in keeping possession in the midfield which stops us building attacks, our passing has been atrocious all season. If only we could mix Johnson''s tenacity with Fox''s range of passing and we''d have that player that we so desperately need.

[quote user="Stig"]I say potential because out of position he can''t display the ability he does have! RIUHYOUGOAIHIUFGIUGFHOEIHIUH you people sh*tposting are horrific.[/quote]how many goals/assists has he got now?i only managed to catch the 2nd half yesterday, during that 45 minute Spell Chris Goreham made reference to Howson giving the ball away 12 times! couple this with long passes out of play, well beyond Holt and Kamara on another 6 occasions.... just as a footnote, Goreham made the same comment about Tettey just 3 tims in the 2nd half...

[quote user="I.S."]Thing is, we can''t develop the squad by shipping out half the team. We haven''t got the resources/reputation to sign the real top-drawer players, and making them gel would be difficult.

Best thing to do is to get rid of the fringe midfielders and bring in 2/3 quality additions if we can secure them at the right price. The squad will then naturally evolve over time, but I do agree we are definitely missing quality in that area.[/quote]

Entirely agree. Upgrade and make current players squad players and allow squad players to move on.

It would be interesting to see how our current players perform in partnership with better players. Would Tettey look better in a more limited defensive role with a much better partner. Or Wes if he had a monster ball winner to get it and give it to him?

We need quality and Unfortuantly with the current midfield on offer its going to be hard for Winkel to show his true ABILITY IMHO and honestly believe these midfielders might be the weak link that just might put us back in a relegation battle next season if Winkle is not serviced well.

I honestly believe Hughton will bring in 2 or 3 quality Mids as I''m sure he knows goals are normally created from midfield.

The midfield has been shocking this season and apart from Snodgrass none of them are good enough for the prem on a regualr basis

Where is his position then Stig? It''s alright saying he can''t show his potential because he has been played out of position, but since he has been at the club he has now been played as a holding midfielder, as a central midfielder in an ordinary 4 man midfield, as a more attacking midfielder of a 4 or 5 man midfield, and in the Hoolahan role. Despite that, there have perhaps been four performances where I thought he looked good, a handful more where he looked decent, and then the rest he has either been poor or totally anonymous.

So where should we be playing him and why hasn''t he taken his chance when he has been played in whatever position you think is his "natural" one?

You can''t question Snoddy''s commitment, but his effectiveness is a little variable. He has scored some useful goals, but also missed several chances, especially with headers. Pilks seems to blow hot and cold. He has the ability but.... I think that Benno needs more games and has somewhere a really good shot. I think that he could become very useful with confidence.

Johnson is a great stopper, but we clearly need someone who can do that and also help attacks. Ditto Tettey, with surging runs earlier on, but little product. Howson is an enigma, last season seeming be a great prospect.

All would be outstanding Championship players, but wee need some players above that, players who can make something happen.

[quote user="White stuff"]You all praise up our Midfield like they''re Barcelona in Disguise[/quote]By "you all" do you mean "nobody"?Good.

[quote user="White stuff"]Before you go on the Attack yes I was at the Stoke game yesterday and only missed 3 away games ''league that is.

You all praise up our Midfield like they''re Barcelona in Disguise and frankly Snodgrass on his day is the only one worth keeping IMO.

Our midfield basically without a major clear out and new payers to come in will have a devastating effect upon the way Winkel performs next season, and I ain''t talking about someone who''s full of running I''m talking a player that can change games just like that.

Howson out, Johnson out ,kamara is just a lol, and pilks is good every 10 games and that''s it, Wes''s best games are behind him.[/quote]

You forgot Fox and Surman in the clear out.

Next season it should be one of Johnson and Tettey playing alongside a new playmaker if we are to progress.

Based on this season I don''t think Howson is good enough. Wes is good enough on his day but sadly lacks a bit of end product. I think we will also see a 2nd striker type player come in to play behind RVW next season although I do think either Snod or Benno could do that role with a bit of decent coaching! Pilks, Snod and Benno as wingers all worth persisting with but need at least one quick addition to put them under pressure.

On Saturday I would drop Howson, play Tetts and Johnson in front of the defence and then play Snoddy, Pilks and Bennett behind Holt with the three swapping positions from time to time. Get those 3 on the ball in the opposition half enough and we will create things, especially if the full backs are allowed to push forward!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Next season it should be one of Johnson and Tettey playing alongside a new playmaker if we are to progress.

On Saturday I would play Tetts and Johnson in front of the defence and then play Snoddy, Pilks and Bennett with the three swapping positions from time to time. ![/quote]

agree with this

I agree with OP. The midfield has been dire most of the season. I''d nickname Tettey ''The Crab'', except he does sometimes pass the ball backwards instead of sideways. Johnson I might keep as a support because he''s combative. Otherwise, apart from Snodgrass, no thanks. And even he needs to stop whining and charging in to bizarre no-winnable situations as per the Stoke game (he''s obviously taken a leaf out of Holt''s recent book). I''d keep Fox, but he''ll probably go. Surman will be worth hanging on to. Wes is still a possible game winner. But most of those who start most of the time in midfield should be on their way. It''s difficult to say much about the strikers because the service has been so poor. I wouldn''t do too much to the defence, excpet maybe a couple of covers.