Sign in to follow this  
Canary Willo

Kei Karama - Verdict, would you sign?

For fear of repeating others......But, judging him on when in the season he joined, his fitness at that time and how long it takes to get up to speed, his performances to date and the fact that he will improve regardless of his age.....then of course we should sign him if possible.

At this level we need at least four preferably five quality strikers of different types and he will fit the bill nicely as one of these for next season, along with Wolfswinkel, as will Holt (no way should he leave) and Becchio (who has no time to show what he can do).....then add one more fresh face, parhaps tall and pacey and we will be nicely sorted.    

Plus of course KK as someone has mentioned is not limited to just playing a striker role, could go out wide even and is an excellent impact player against tired legs, yep its a no brainer...yes, yes, yes

Yes!Great character and better footballer than most of our other options. He, Holt and Becchio are our front line options. Add RVW plus a more rounded midfield and we''re in business!

[quote user="Canary Willo"]

As he returns to USA after 6th May, what is the general verdict?

For me, his attitude, spirit and willingness to work hard are his greatest strengths. Great leap and a good physical presence. However, Appears on his heels a lot of the time, not anticipating passes or runs to be made. Was certainly on his heels when the chance came against Swansea.

For that reason, for me, at 28, I cannot see him improving dramatically that he is going to be somebody pushing for a starting place for me, hence I would say, Premiership, no, Championship yes.

We could use the £2m to look for a 3rd/4th striker 5-8 years younger who has more potential to develop.

What''s the view guys? All welcome and fully respected.

[/quote]  I appreciate the thread but I feel this discussion is pretty immaterial at the moment. If Kamara goes on to score some important goals for us in the run in...say a brace against Reading and the winner against Stoke and Villa then would you say his stock has just dramatically gone up for a squad player?I have been banging on about Holt''s lack of quality in the box this season and as Kamara seems to have better mental attributes is younger and is the better professional then maybe he would be a better acquisition then our talisman for the new season!

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]Since the option for him to sign is in the contract, can we sign him before his loan is over and keep him here for the last 2 games?[/quote]

I think that is what was said when he signed, so if we take up the option he''s available for the last 2 games.

I personally would like Kei to stay. I think his performance off the bench v Everton, shows he has the potential to be a game change from the bench, whilst admitting he''s probably not good enough to start each week.

With 20-25mins to go, the last thing any defense would want to have is Kei, 6''3, very quick and very athletic causing problems in the box.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Josh"]Yes, sign him up! He''s been involved in 5 of our last 6 goals. I really think he could offer us something different next season even if he was only our 3rd or 4th choice striker.

1) Scored against Everton

2) Pretty much set up Holt''s winner vs Everton too (although I think Bassong got credited with the final touch)

3) Very nearly scored the goal vs Sunderland but Wes nicked it on the line. Gets credited with an assist.

4) Won us the free kick which led to Turner''s goal vs Swansea

5) Won us the free kick which led to Turner''s goal vs Arsenal[/quote]

No, no, no - much too positive.   Better to say he''s not good enough.    None of our current players are good enough, apparently, oh, except maybe Bassong and Ruddy - but apparently, they''ll be off to a better team as soon as they can.   [:(]

[;)]

[/quote]

LDC can you really not acknowledge that people might have different opinions to you?

I dont think Kei is good enough either. Sadly.

I know "It Depends" isn''t a helpful answer but it does depend on whether we can get him for a relatively low price, on a 2 year deal, and whether he''s happy to be 2nd string.

[quote user="Eric Gates is a hermaphrodite"]Rarely, if ever, have i read so much twaddle on these boards. And i''ve read a lot over the years. As has been pointed out by a couple of the more enlightened posters, he''s been involved in almost everything good we''ve done in an attacking sense since he joined. And he''s pretty useful defensively too. And that''s despite him having had to make big adjustments in his personal and professional life.

His impact from the bench against Everton was startling and was the primary reason why the game turned on its head. Since then he has performed to a consistently good to high standard, demonstrating technique, desire and athleticism. He holds the ball up well, can play in tight spaces, commits defenders and wins vital free kicks in dangerous areas (from which we have scored on more than one occasion). Then there are the "intangibles" as others have pointed out. And please, anyone who knows anything about football will tell you that Snodgrass was more culpable for the Swansea miss. He delayed the pass way too long then scuffed it in with not enough pace and behind KK. KK had bent his run (away from Snodgrass) perfectly to lose the defender and was readying himself for a firm ball out in front for him to run on to and tap in. That was what he was expecting and that''s what should have been delivered, and would have been delivered 49 times out of 50 in training. Having correctly bent his run away from Snodgrass to find space, and having expected a firm ball for him to run on to, he was forced to recalibrate his mind to Snodgrass''s woeful imprecision (on this occasion only - Snodgrass is an excellent player by the way), stop, shift his weight and run in pretty much the opposite direction to that which he was anticipating. That is why he was caught slightly on his heels and couldnt react in time. Perhaps, just perhaps, had it happened in the first 20 minutes, he could have reacted a fraction more quickly but that is a reflection of fatigue and nothing else and the defender might well have been able to block his attempt in any case. He can and will improve his fitness if given a full pre-season but given that he''s operating in the lone striker role i dont see his fitness as a big concern right now. He wasnt the only player in that game suffering with fatigue in the second half. To sum up this man would prove excellent value for money and is already performing to a high standard. He is good enough to start premiership matches and do well but would probably prove more potent as an impact player from the bench. For the money he''d be a bargain provided he maintains his level. And if he manages to improve, which is very possible, he''d be a steal. SIGN HIM![/quote]

THIS! ...I''d sign Kei in a heartbeat.

When we were in the the market for a striker in January, I hoped we''d sign someone with pace, presence, height, good feet, good in the air, good attitude and for the right price for any associated ''risk'' - Kei Kamara in this respect is manna from heaven...and I think his decision making is more ''Premier League'' than many of our other players. At the moment he is our first choice striker ...nuff said

Josh wrote Yes, sign him up! He''s been involved in 5 of our last 6 goals. I really think he could offer us something different next season even if he was only our 3rd or 4th choice striker.

2) Pretty much set up Holt''s winner vs Everton too (although I think Bassong got credited with the final touch)

3) Very nearly scored the goal vs Sunderland but Wes nicked it on the line. Gets credited with an assist.

5) Won us the free kick which led to Turner''s goal vs Arsenal
lake district canary wrote  No, no, no - much too positive.   Better to say he''s not good enough.    None of our current players are good enough, apparently, oh, except maybe Bassong and Ruddy - but apparently, they''ll be off to a better team as soon as they can.   [:(][;)]

Grant Holt''s 3 Year Contract wrote LDC can you really not acknowledge that people might have different opinions to you?I dont think Kei is good enough either. Sadly.

Oh, come on, a little sarcasm never did anyone any harm.   I just get

fed up with the constant negative drone from people about the players we

have. There''s always room for improvement, development, but

sometimes its better to work with what you''ve got and add to it, rather

than throw players away and start again.   Development comes from

continuity.....ask QPR.

Josh wrote Yes, sign him up! He''s been involved in 5 of our last 6 goals. I really think he could offer us something different next season even if he was only our 3rd or 4th choice striker.

5) Won us the free kick which led to Turner''s goal vs Arsenal
lake district canary wrote  No, no, no - much too positive.   Better to say he''s not good enough.    None of our current players are good enough, apparently, oh, except maybe Bassong and Ruddy - but apparently, they''ll be off to a better team as soon as they can.   [:(][;)]

Grant Holt''s 3 Year Contract wrote LDC can you really not acknowledge that people might have different opinions to you?I dont think Kei is good enough either. Sadly.

Oh, come on, a little sarcasm never did anyone any harm.   I just get

fed up with the constant negative drone from people about the players we

have. There''s always room for improvement, development, but

sometimes its better to work with what you''ve got and add to it, rather

than throw players away and start again.   Development comes from

continuity.....ask QPR.

The guy is no doubt a top bloke, but just doesn''t have the quality IMO to help is get ti that next level.

For me I would have to say no, but definitely respect his efforts.

Simple question; is our current first team better with Kei Kamara playing in it, nor not? Whether wide or through the middle.

I truly believe he offers more of a general threat at this level than any of our other strikers ...notice how other teams will set up against the threat of Benno and Kei''s true pace in a game...the absence of which limits us

Yes I would. Looks our best attacking option by a mile. A real fan favourite and does just as much for the team in the chaining room as he does on the pitch. You can see what it means to him to be playing in the prem and he works hard to stay here. Sign him up.

With Vaughan, Chris Martin and possibly Jackson heading out in the summer, we''d be left with Becchio, Holt and RVW.

Whilst I do quite like Kei, I would only sign him if Becchio or Holt were also going to make an exit. Whilst he''s a good player, who can also fill in on the flanks, he''s not exactly setting the league alight. That said, at the rumoured 1.5 million it''s good value for money. I would be disappointed if we signed Kei without bringing in another striker to play with RVW.

Definate yes for me, he''s got the attitude to not moan if we go and buy another striker who maybe plays more, he''s got the ability to ruffle most teams in the division and the work ethic to keep going when we''re down in the dumps. Provides an outlet on the right wing, so good cover there.

For the reported £1.5m, it''s a no brainer.

Agree with the majority here - Yes.Confident on the ball, and I think will be better with a full pre-season under his belt.He won''t be first choice, but he will be decent back up.

Thought he was excellent today albeit against the worse back four ive seen.

His link up, quality of ball, headng, pace thought he deserved a goal today.

You would have to sign him surely.

I was impressed with him again today, thought he also linked up well with Holty for the most part too.
I think our system doesn''t suit his game, as I said earlier in the thread.
Throw a genuine poacher such as RVW in next to Kei and I think we could a front line that would cause some serious problems for most defences in the division. RVW finds space where there''s none, and Kei is dominant in the air, quick enough to create space and has enough vision to find the passes.
I dont see him being prolific as a scorer but I think he could provide a hell of a lot of goals for Van Winky.
His pricetag is a bargain for what he brings to the table and we would be stupid not to get him on board permanently.

When Holt exits, we need a few new forwards , and if Kamara accepts being mostly used as a sub, then sign him.

Not good enough to consitently start, me thinks.

Lacks a bit of goal threat, but is immense in the air, and with a 4-4-2 partner he could flourish.

At 1,5 mill he is worth a gamble, but has not got good resell value due to his age.