Sign in to follow this  
unique

Devil's Advocate

Okay all you Hughton happy clap-trappers.......are we to understand that Hughton inherited a squad who were over-achieving....more suited to the Championship........and abandoned by Lambert who well knew that this season had relegation written all over it....or so you would have us believe.....

Could it not be equally argued that the squad had finished a comfortable mid-table position last season....had proved that they had goals throughout the squad...had established a ''never-say-die attitude'' and, if the previous few seasons were anything to go by, were a squad that were improving the more they played together?

I think it could easily be argued that the Premier League is overall weaker this season than for many a year. An average United side have won the league with a canter.The English representatives have failed in the Champions League as never before. Reasonably established teams like Stoke, Newcastle, Sunderland and Fulham are performing at levels way below recent seasons.

Let''s be fair to Hughton and accept that for the first half of the season, the Lambert influence would still have been present with the squad and their general mindset.This is underlined by the fact that Norwich failed to score in just 4 of the first 19 games, scoring 20, but conceding an unhelpful 28 goals.

Now it would be fair to assume that Hughton and Caldwell''s coaching methods would be well instilled upon the players by the end of December, and all the weaknesses that showed themselves under Lambert''s regime would have been long gone.

Well obviously there are still 3 games to go to give a fair comparison, but on the 16 games so far, it is clear to see the lack of progress judged by results.....

Norwich have failed to score in 8 games........scoring a paltry 13 goals and conceding an equally unimpressive 26 goals.

Hughton''s immaculate appearance, his good manners and his calm exterior, which put many other managers to shame, lends itself to the role of manager of NCFC. But is it fair to say that overseeing two humiliating exits at home in the two major cup competitions, undermining the confidence of a squad that believed winning was a realistic option at the start of every game, and the manner in which Norwich have succumbed to the relegation battle since the turn of the year, have done nothing to suggest that things will improve if Hughton were to continue at the helm.......

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]I don''t think you know what "Devil''s Advocate" means.

+1[/quote]+2

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]I don''t think you know what "Devil''s Advocate" means.

+1[/quote]+2[/quote]Make that +3

I don''t think there is a viable alternative to Hughton for the foreseeable future - the post doesn''t express this opinion.....

....go and look up the meaning of ''Devils''s Advocate''.....then chew on it.......

Your first paragraph is reasonably spot on. The rest of it is waffle-bollox.

[quote user="Herman "]Your first paragraph is reasonably spot on. The rest of it is waffle-bollox.[/quote]

+1

Why, rather than address the OP''s points, do people question whether he knows what "devil''s advocate" means?

I agree with all of it and like you don''t get why people feel the need to justify Hughton''s constantly negative and ineffective tactics.

However, who is the alternative? People have said Poyet, O''Neill, Martinez etc, but I think it''s largely irrelevant for the following reason:

Hughton''s job was to keep us in the league. It appears he will do that. If he does, then can you really sack him? I believe you can, and I would, but I don''t think the board will see it that way.

The problem comes that because the money is so huge next season, we will need to spend about 25m in the summer. They''ve already given him 8.5m, so there seems to be no intent there to reassess at the end of the season. They think he''s the man, but do people really want the record amount of money we''ll spend to be given to Hughton?

His defensive signings have been good, but I think they have looked disproportionately better than last season because Hughton''s tactics mean the defence get so much more protection than they did under Lambert.

He''s a nice bloke, if a bit too calm for me, but really do you care about that? If we continue like this he will take us down next year, if he doesn''t this year.

[quote user="booklet"]Why, rather than address the OP''s points, do people question whether he knows what "devil''s advocate" means?

I agree with all of it and like you don''t get why people feel the need to justify Hughton''s constantly negative and ineffective tactics.

However, who is the alternative? People have said Poyet, O''Neill, Martinez etc, but I think it''s largely irrelevant for the following reason:

Hughton''s job was to keep us in the league. It appears he will do that. If he does, then can you really sack him? I believe you can, and I would, but I don''t think the board will see it that way.

The problem comes that because the money is so huge next season, we will need to spend about 25m in the summer. They''ve already given him 8.5m, so there seems to be no intent there to reassess at the end of the season. They think he''s the man, but do people really want the record amount of money we''ll spend to be given to Hughton?

His defensive signings have been good, but I think they have looked disproportionately better than last season because Hughton''s tactics mean the defence get so much more protection than they did under Lambert.

He''s a nice bloke, if a bit too calm for me, but really do you care about that? If we continue like this he will take us down next year, if he doesn''t this year.[/quote]Mainly because exactly the same thing is being said by 100 other people in 50 other threads.There is no fresh perspective to be had on the subject, we grind the survival out and see what happens next season.

[quote user="Alan_Grey"]I don''t think you know what "Devil''s Advocate" means.[/quote] Had some great nights out in Devil''s Advocate, always found the ladies to be very friendly in there! [;)]